Is Social Media Plunging Us Into a New Dark Age?

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
geroldblog.com: Is Social Media Plunging Us Into a New Dark Age?
Is Social Media Plunging Us Into a New Dark Age?

Posted on March 28, 2018 by gerold

Reading time: 1,520 words, 4 pages, 4 to 6 minutes.

If you weren’t already aware of it, there are few things you need to know about the ass media:
– If the ass media reports it, it’s NOT important.
– If it IS important, the ass media ignores it.
– The ass media will tell us what we already know when that knowledge has reached such a critical mass of acceptance that they can no longer suppress it.
-When the ass media tells us what we already know they’ll distort it to distract us from the truth.
– They’ll never tell the whole truth.
– Fearmongering sells.
There are many examples, but a good one is the National Post article “Andrew Coyne: The pessimists might be right, social media may have plunged us into a new dark age” [Link] It is instructive because it hits most of the points above.
I write this as a stand-alone article although you might consider reading Coyne’s article linked above for a fuller understanding. As well, the reader’s comments are interesting. [Link]
Coyne starts by saying... ...

... "Does the internet spy on us? Of course, it does. We all know it or we certainly should by now. Anyone who posts anything online or in social media they don’t want the whole world to know is a special kind of stupid. One way to reduce the personal information you share on social media is to avoid participating in those insipid quizzes, personality tests, comparisons, etc. because those companies collect and sell your personal information to advertisers. And, if you don’t want Google to spy on you there are countless other search engines such as WWW.DuckDuckGo.com that don’t follow you.

Personally, I’m glad the internet keeps tabs on me. Why would a lifelong bachelor with no pets want to see advertising about feminine hygiene products, or baby formula or pet food?

I admit it can be freaky. At home on my desktop computer, I did one of my rare searches for a YouTube video on Joseph Stalin. The next day, back at the office, using the company’s laptop I clicked on a link for one of our new products which took me to a YouTube video. Typical of YouTube, they offer suggested videos on the right side of the screen. There were several suggestions for Joseph Stalin videos. How’d they do that? That’s not a coincidence.

My home email address is gerold@[ISP].ca and my work email is “g[last name@company].com.” In other words, two different computers, two different URLs, and two different email addresses with two different names, two different companies, and two different domains, and yet, somehow YouTube ‘followed’ me. I’m amazed, but I’m not bent out of shape about it. I have no expectation of privacy on social media." ...

...read MORE on the website...
Stop Bad Habits.jpg
Stop Bad Habits.jpg

CORRUPT-TWITTER-SUCKS-800x445.jpg
CORRUPT-TWITTER-SUCKS-800x445.jpg ----------------------------
facebook sucks.jpeg
facebook sucks.jpeg

...and youtube too.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.