Is the "Default dangerous web sites blocker" of Firefox good enough or not?

Is the default URL blocker of Mozilla Firefox enough for keeping security?

• Yes. It is good and enough.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No. It is not enough for keeping Security.

Votes: 20 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Good morning All. Thank you for your access here.
Now I am having a question about URL blocker included Mozilla Firefox.

My antimalware soft is F-secure SAFE now, and it is including a Browsing Protection feature.
This feature is providing web site blocker for protect PC from dangerous web sites.

But this filter is not good. There are many false positives even if major web sites for normally users.
So I turned off only this feature for absent to break the connection to important websites.

Now I am using only "Dangerous web sites blocker" which is included Mozilla Firefox.
I checked the box of "Block dangerous contents" and "Block downloading dangerous files", and "Warn downloading No-need Software" .

Please teach me that is the default blocker included Mozilla Firefox good? or not enough for keeping security?
And if the user turn off anti-malware's site blocker feature, what should the user do?

Windows10 Home, F-secure SAFE, Mozilla Firefox 52.0.1

Thank you!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More information can be found at How does built-in Phishing and Malware Protection ... - Mozilla Support Community

How does Phishing and Malware Protection work in Firefox?
Phishing and Malware Protection works by checking the sites that you visit against lists of reported phishing, unwanted software and malware sites. These lists are automatically downloaded and updated every 30 minutes or so when the Phishing and Malware Protection features are enabled.

When you download an application file, Firefox checks the site hosting it against a list of sites known to contain "malware". If the site is found on that list, Firefox blocks the file immediately, otherwise it asks Google’s Safe Browsing service if the software is safe by sending it some of the download’s metadata.*

*Windows users: This online check will only be performed in Firefox on Windows for those downloaded files that don’t have a known good publisher. Most of the common and safe software for Windows is signed and so this final check won’t always need to happen.

I recommend to keep Malware and Phishing protection enabled in your browser. If you are not satisfied by Web protection by F-Secure, you can use a Firefox add-on such as Avira Browser Safety to block dangerous websites.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It's a lot better than it used to be, but for much
stricter protection I use AdGuard.

Reactions: BugCode

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
No. Make sure to combo with uBlock Origin (w/ hosts files) or AdGuard for better link protection and advise.

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Hello every one. Thank you for your replies and I read all. There are so useful for solving my question.
I understood that browser's URL blocker are having a power for protecting PC, but it is not best for keeping security.
So I will use ublock orign filters with malware filters as default configure.

By the way, I am sorry for my too late reply. And when I will post this site about other questions, problems..., I will be glad you if you join there!;)
Thank you very much!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.