Is the future of credit card security no card at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
With millions spent by financial institutions each year on finding new ways to secure EFTPOS and credit cards, could the solution to better banking security be to simply do away with plastic altogether?
"My opinion on card device security is that we will move away from cards," Dr Wright said during a panel discussion on the CeBit Future of Payments conference in Sydney.

"We have devices — smart watches, Nike wristbands — all sorts of fun and funky things which can act as near field devices," he said.

"At the end of the day we all have [mobile phones]… and they are getting cheaper every single year. And we will find people not leaving home without them, but they will leave home without their wallet.

"The future view, absolutely, I agree that is where it is going, but it will actually take a while to get there. The [United] States is an interesting example. They are talking about deploying EMV [Europay, Mastercard and Visa] chips – contactless or not – on physical pieces of plastic because it will take the market so long to move to the point where everyone is using their mobile [for payments]."

Source

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No wonder nothing has any value, everything is "virtual".

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2012
I like the thought in this article
""At the end of the day we all have [mobile phones]… and they are getting cheaper every single year. And we will find people not leaving home without them, but they will leave home without their wallet."
But Mobile malware writer are also welcome this type of idea :)

justmad

Verified
Sep 2, 2013
maybe some day all things are controlled by our thoughts. At that time, we are inclined to let engineers process our thoughts to make sure everything is in order. Good news is that we are dead by then.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I imagine the credit card industry which make obscene profits from the fees they extract from their victims, ah, customers' hides will obfuscate any imminent action(s) to do so. Much like the oil cartels undermine any viable alternative energy source that could conflict with their interests/profits.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Smartphones are a very bad choice, it's a mini computer and all computers are vulnerable in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.