Advice Request Is the Kaspersky protection extension really needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I just installed Kaspesky Security Cloud Free to test it. At the end of the process, Kaspesky asks to install Kaspersky protection extension so the AV can work properly.
However, the extension only works with Chrome!! When used with Brave or the new Edge, the extensions is grey and not working. I took a look and it seens the extension has 4 functions:

1) Private Browsing: basically an antri tracker (only for PAID version)
2) Ad-block (only for PAID version)
3) Digital keyboard
4) "securityfunctions"

The first 3 options wont have any use for me. But i'm in doubt with the security function.

According to the extension description, it says:
"Security
We check every website you are about to visit and warn you when threats appear. In particular, we protect your financial transactions at online stores and in online banking and payment systems.

The Kaspersky Protection extension ensures operation of the following protection features:
- Safe Money – protects your payments by opening sensitive websites in Protected Browser.
- Private Browsing – informs you about attempts by websites to collect your data and allows you to block collection.
- Kaspersky URL Advisor – marks search results with colored indicators according to the link’s security level.
- On-Screen Keyboard – prevents malware from intercepting data entered in website forms.
- Anti-Banner – blocks advertising banners on websites.
- Dangerous Content Blocking - prevents a website from loading if it is deemed a dangerous or phishing website by Kaspersky Lab.

But as I have the Kaspesky Security Cloud Free installed, those security functions would not be already covered by the AV? I'm worried cause i'm not using Chrome anymore, and that extension only works well with it!

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
No, you don't need it. Its mostly needed if you enable its anti-banner in paid version (there are better adblockers like adguard and ublock origin anyway). What that extension does is just marks on your google search which sites are safe and which arent according to kaspersky. But thats pointless because Kaspersky web filter will block the dangerous sites if you try to access them anyway. So no, you don't need it.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Brave is not supported, probably because They made some internal changes and have their own security anti-trackig, adblocking, etc. features which lead Kaspersky add-on not working properly in Brave, because the add-on is installed and You can see it but is greyed not working properly.

But Kaspersky Chrome add-on works perfectly in the new Microsoft Edge based in Chromium... You probably will have to install it manually (from the same URL link of standard Chrome add-on), I did and works here...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
What do You mean KP does not work with FF? :unsure: I guess it works...

We have to explain here the difference of Kaspersky Protection add-on with paid and free Kaspersky products...

Kaspersky Protection add-on in KAFree and KSCFree works, but appears in grey because They are free and no Private Browsing nor Anti-Banner modules are available, only access to K. Virtual KeyBoard...

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
This plugin is not needed if you are using the free version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Almost all the modules in it are paid antivirus modules. You can also disable the web script in the antivirus settings, since this script also interacts with the modules of the paid version of the antivirus (you can read this from the explanatory information by clicking on the icon with a question mark). Disabling this script and refusing to install the plugin will speed up your web surfing, especially since they do not carry the funcionalities in the free version.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I just installed Kaspesky Security Cloud Free to test it. At the end of the process, Kaspesky asks to install Kaspersky protection extension so the AV can work properly.
However, the extension only works with Chrome!! When used with Brave or the new Edge, the extensions is grey and not working. I took a look and it seens the extension has 4 functions:

1) Private Browsing: basically an antri tracker (only for PAID version)
2) Ad-block (only for PAID version)
3) Digital keyboard
4) "securityfunctions"

The first 3 options wont have any use for me. But i'm in doubt with the security function.

According to the extension description, it says:
"Security
We check every website you are about to visit and warn you when threats appear. In particular, we protect your financial transactions at online stores and in online banking and payment systems.

The Kaspersky Protection extension ensures operation of the following protection features:
- Safe Money – protects your payments by opening sensitive websites in Protected Browser.
- Private Browsing – informs you about attempts by websites to collect your data and allows you to block collection.
- Kaspersky URL Advisor – marks search results with colored indicators according to the link’s security level.
- On-Screen Keyboard – prevents malware from intercepting data entered in website forms.
- Anti-Banner – blocks advertising banners on websites.
- Dangerous Content Blocking - prevents a website from loading if it is deemed a dangerous or phishing website by Kaspersky Lab.

But as I have the Kaspesky Security Cloud Free installed, those security functions would not be already covered by the AV? I'm worried cause i'm not using Chrome anymore, and that extension only works well with it!
Do you have Kaspersky on default settings and also do you have the the extension still installed on Brave?

If so, could you test if Kaspersky blocks this phishing page

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
But Kaspersky Chrome add-on works perfectly in the new Microsoft Edge based in Chromium... You probably will have to install it manually (from the same URL link of standard Chrome add-on), I did and works here...
It doesn't work in my pc + laptop:
Anotación 2020-01-19 092216.png
Can you share the link of the plugin that works en edge chromium?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
From what I noticed the extension is required to scan pages in HTTPS (like the phising test I linked above)

If you don't want the product to scan encrypted sites, then the add-on would probably not do much for you.

However if you do want Kaspersky to scan encrypted sites. Then someone should make a request to add Brave as a compatible browser.

And before someone ask. The settings to always scan encrypted connections doesn't work in Brave. Since the Kaspersky certificate doesn't get add it. At least this was my experience a while ago.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Okay, I re-tested the always scan encryption setting. And the Kaspersky certificate does show now in Brave. In addition to Kaspersky being able to block encrypted sites.

The add-on however doesn't work. Tested the same version(30.147.100.0) in both Chrome and Brave. It works in Chrome but not in Brave.

So, for Brave users that really want Kaspersky to scan https you will need enable it.

Setting > additional > network > always scan encrypted connection

However if you worry about your privacy and the like either leave it on default or change it to do not scan encrypted connection

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
WOW, so many answers! :)
Ty for your help guys.

But thats pointless because Kaspersky web filter will block the dangerous sites if you try to access them anyway. So no, you don't need it.
So, @Dex4Sure, can you confirm that if i load a pishing site that bypass Smart Screen/Safe Browsing browser protection, Kaspersky would be able to intercept and stop the loading even without the extension? Thats exactly my concern because the description of the extension seems to indicate that it IS needed for this.

You can also disable the web script in the antivirus settings, since this script also interacts with the modules of the paid version of the antivirus (you can read this from the explanatory information by clicking on the icon with a question mark).
I'll take a look. ty

If so, could you test if Kaspersky blocks this phishing page
I tested but Edge SmartScreen blocked it first!

Hum... I guess it only works in K2021 beta for now :) the version I'm using here, in fact Safe Money is also available here:
I didn't know about that too. So maybe they will fix the extension soon... i hope

The plugin doesn't bother me so I don't disable it or try to install on unsupported browsers anymore.
Considering your privacy, i would disable ANY extension that you don't use. As they can be collecting information of your browser history, IP and other things.

So, for Brave users that really want Kaspersky to scan https you will need enable it.
@Azure , there are some articles that asks for AV vendors stop intercepting HTTPS. So i would not use it. You can check it HERE

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
This plugin is not needed if you are using the free version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Almost all the modules in it are paid antivirus modules. You can also disable the web script in the antivirus settings, since this script also interacts with the modules of the paid version of the antivirus (you can read this from the explanatory information by clicking on the icon with a question mark). Disabling this script and refusing to install the plugin will speed up your web surfing, especially since they do not carry the funcionalities in the free version.

Hey @SFox, i looked for that option you mentioned and didn't find the question mark... can you explain where did you find it?

Okay, I re-tested the always scan encryption setting.

@Azure, i didnt find that option too. Can you post a printscreen of the option so i can check if they are the same?

The extension is for additional web plug in for Https fraud prevention and detection.

According to @Azure, Brave can use Kaspersky to check Https pages. I did a test with Chromium Edge, and Kaspersky bloq https pishing site despite missing the extension

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Hey @SFox, i looked for that option you mentioned and didn't find the question mark... can you explain where did you find it?

@Azure, i didnt find that option too. Can you post a printscreen of the option so i can check if they are the same?

According to @Azure, Brave can use Kaspersky to check Https pages. I did a test with Chromium Edge, and Kaspersky bloq https pishing site despite missing the extension
Open Kaspersky. You should see a tiny widget on bottom left for settings.

Or you can simply right-click the Kaspersky icon on the task bar. You should see an option that says settings.

Once there, click on the following Additional > Network. There you should see a section for Encrypted connection scanning

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Open Kaspersky. You should see a tiny widget on bottom left for settings.

Or you can simply right-click the Kaspersky icon on the task bar. You should see an option that says settings.

Once there, click on the following Additional > Network. There you should see a section for Encrypted connection scanning

Oh, i was looking in the wrong place. Now i found both options you and @SFox indicated. Ty! I'll check now

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.