Is their an ideal companion to VoodooSheild

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I have VS and all of Microsofts stuff running But I'm wondering what else if anything should I layer on to this, should I kill any Microsoft apps, adjust this or that, what do you all think. I am a minimalist in my core .Windows 7 HP.

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Guys, let's remember than Windows Defender on Windows 7 is not the same thing as the one in Windows 8 or Windows 10.

Since you are using Windows 7, you can follow @Arequire's advice. And choose a reputable antivirus like Avast or if you want to stay with Microsoft you can install Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Guys, let's remember than Windows Defender on Windows 7 is not the same thing as the one in Windows 8 or Windows 10.

Since you are using Windows 7, you can follow @Arequire's advice. And choose a reputable antivirus like Avast or if you want to stay with Microsoft you can install Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE)
Yes Oops I missed the windows 7 part, my bad. :eek:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Webroot was the best and first choice for folks asking this very question.
I have found that it pairs well With HMPA, and Sophos Home, as well as WAR.
MBAM with Exploit protection disabled is another good duo.
Just remember to keep it simple, and good luck.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Webroot is a cool concept but lately has not performed so great in testing.
Don't fret about which AV is "best" combo with Voodoo, because all of them work fine with Voodoo.
If anyone has seen a conflict between their AV and Voodoo, please speak up.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016

Yes, it is not the same thing. Nonetheless i use this combo on my netbook, Microsoft Security Essentials for Win 7 + VS. It's free, very light & effective.

IMO, the ideal companion for VS is the default OS security & in this case Windows MSE & Windows Firewall.

Last edited:

gorblimey

Level 2
Verified
Aug 30, 2017
We-e-e-lll, maybe not a conflict, but when ZAM Free wanted to update itself, VS pinged the update files as they had no parent process, were running out of %Appdata%\Temp, and all had different folder and file names. Exactly like malware...

It's enough that if it happens again I'm swapping to MBAM. (Krufty acronym expansion!)

P

plat1098

VoodooShield is a fine complement. Minimal is in, bulk is out, right? Have VS, with Windows firewall and Emsi Antimalware for the behavior blocker on another machine, that's it. Good stuff.

I also use an anti-exploit (HitmanPro Alert) with VS and Defender, it takes only 11.2 mb on disk. VS and HMPA work together like hand in glove on here. :)

@gorblimey: what's a "Krufty acronym expansion"?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

This is not really a bug or whatsoever, but Emsisoft uses (at least in my case) to block pings to servers when your connection is set on public or anything but private. If this is the case, VoodooShield would take a long time to open apps (at least on previous versions i don't know if it still does it), because it first pings Google to test the connection. It pings are blocked, then the delay will be huge.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is not really a bug or whatsoever, but Emsisoft uses (at least in my case) to block pings to servers when your connection is set on public or anything but private. If this is the case, VoodooShield would take a long time to open apps (at least on previous versions i don't know if it still does it), because it first pings Google to test the connection. It pings are blocked, then the delay will be huge.
This is not an issue when running VS & EmsiSoft as a combo brother.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.