Advice Request Is There a Better and More Secure Password Login App for Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Having been a Windows 10 Pro user for a while, I have been wondering if there is a better, and more secure login program available for Windows 10, then the log-in screen it offers by default on start-up requiring a password or pin.

I am aware that there are some freeware locking apps that use a password, some that use a pattern like Android, some that utilize a USB Drive, and some that offer a combination of these features.

I am looking for something preferably Freeware, not easily bypassed, and most importantly, one that has proven to be reliable over time that would not require a reformat because of a glitch.

Any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 178

@SearchLight

smart-pc-locker-pro-screenshot-1.png

Password Protect & Lock Your PC with Smart PC Locker Pro | NoVirusThanks

D

Deleted member 178

Last time i used it was before windows one. Was long time ago, i don't remember well

Reactions: Weebarra

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Would this program only be activate after the initial Windows login?

Otherwise could be used in combination with, How To Automatically Login In Windows 10 ??

This combo is what I was thinking of doing but am searching for a reliable program before I make the change. Besides NVT program, anybody else have experience doing this setup with another?

Reactions: Weebarra

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
This typically ends not so well for most average users, once they forget the PW, they are not going to know how to physically reset it..

Granted. I guess it boils down to no security or some but they all have pitfalls i.e. a USB drive key can be lost. Facial or Voice Recognition not entirely perfected, or a lost or forgotten password, or lock pattern. It is a matter of preference.

Reactions: Weebarra and slash/
I

illumination

Granted. I guess it boils down to no security or some but they all have pitfalls i.e. a USB drive key can be lost. Facial or Voice Recognition not entirely perfected, or a lost or forgotten password, or lock pattern. It is a matter of preference.
While this is true, many of these can be resolved via another device and an email... Locking yourself out of the Bios, well, that is not corrected so easily, and will generally end with a trip to a shop for an average user. There are though are a few methods for intermediate to advanced users Like clearing CMOS and NVRAM, resetting the BIOS....

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Took the plunge, and enabled automatic Windows login.

Installed NVT Smart PC Locker Pro, and so far this combo worked without a hitch.

There is a high degree of confidence displayed on this forum in NVT products, so taking Umbra's recommendation, I figure I cannot go wrong.

If anything develops further, I will post it here.

Btw, NVT SPCLPro has many options for the security conscious, so you can decide what you want to disable while your PC is locked. Just make sure you remember your password!

Reactions: Weebarra and slash/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I found this online, if you (@SearchLight) or anyone else is interested.
How to create a USB security key on Windows 10
Before starting on this endeavor, however, remember that creating a USB security key for your PC comes with some downsides. If you lose the USB key, you'll have a tough time getting into your PC, especially if you disable the ability to enter a password as a backup entry. You're also going to lose the ability to use one of the USB ports on your PC while the lock is active.
USB Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.