Is there a program to protect personal identifiable information for home use?

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Could you please mention if possible, some of the corporate solutions as I'm not sure what you mean?

Corporate solutions like DLP (Data Loss Prevention) control egress of sensitive information out from your network. Most enterprise solutions offer DLP of some form or another. Fortinet for example allows you to scan documents into it for DLP DNA Fingerprinting so the Fortigate can identify and alert of sensitive data traversing to the outside of an internal network.

I remember running into a home DLP awhile back but forgot what solution it was.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Reactions: AtlBo and upnorth

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
This seems like something that would be pretty hard to deploy in a home environment because there would just be so much data moving in and out. I can see this as a more feasible idea if you were working on an intranet and occasionally access the internet, then the program would only detect information moving out of the internet but not the intranet. However in a home environment you are also exclusively using the internet and would probably never have an intranet set up so the program is going to get so many hits on personal data moving in and out.

I think a more feasible idea would be to set up a firewall that default denies any inbound or outbound third party application unless you tell them to allow it.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This seems like something that would be pretty hard to deploy in a home environment because there would just be so much data moving in and out. I can see this as a more feasible idea if you were working on an intranet and occasionally access the internet, then the program would only detect information moving out of the internet but not the intranet. However in a home environment you are also exclusively using the internet and would probably never have an intranet set up so the program is going to get so many hits on personal data moving in and out.

I think a more feasible idea would be to set up a firewall that default denies any inbound or outbound third party application unless you tell them to allow it.

Agreed, it's difficult, and overkill on a home network. It's really designed for exfiltration from employees.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.