Is there an app that can check wherever my phone is encrypted?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Location services must be turned on!

By default, Google allows users to link their Android devices to their Google account, using Find My Device.
Support: Find, lock, or erase a lost Android device - Android Help

You can install the app or visit from the web to track and find lost devices.
Get app: Google Find My Device - Apps on Google Play

Homepage: Track & find your stolen phones, laptops & tablets| Prey Anti theft - Free tier available.
Get app: Prey Anti Theft: Find My Phone & Mobile Security - Apps on Google Play

Other helpful resources:
1. Manage your Android device’s location settings - Google Account Help
2. Choose which apps use your Android device’s location - Google Account Help

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Location services must be turned on!

By default, Google allows users to link their Android devices to their Google account, using Find My Device.
Support: Find, lock, or erase a lost Android device - Android Help

You can install the app or visit from the web to track and find lost devices.
Get app: Google Find My Device - Apps on Google Play

Homepage: Track & find your stolen phones, laptops & tablets| Prey Anti theft - Free tier available.
Get app: Prey Anti Theft: Find My Phone & Mobile Security - Apps on Google Play

Other helpful resources:
1. Manage your Android device’s location settings - Google Account Help
2. Choose which apps use your Android device’s location - Google Account Help
Hello, sorry, I don't know how I managed to type the title wrong - its was supposed to be "encrypted" instead of "free," I'm really sorry, but thank you anyway, I was looking for this one, too :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Which version of Android are you running?
  • Full Disk Encryption (FDE) was introduced in Android 4.4 KitKat (2013), and Android 5 Lollipop (2014) - [Android Source]
  • It was made compulsory in Android 6 Marshmallow (2015).
  • Google replaced FDE with File-Based Encryption (FBE) in Android 7 Nougat (2016) - [The limitations of Android N Encryption]
  • By default Android 7 Nougat, 8 Oreo, 9 Pie (or newer) users already have File-Based Encryption, but you might be able to find 3rd-party encryption tools.
Recommended: How to encrypt your Android device
As mentioned, most new Android smartphones have device encryption automatically. A big change that was introduced a couple of years ago with Android 7.0 Nougat was Direct Boot. Before Direct Boot, your entire encrypted phone would be locked down until you enter the password. Since Nougat, the system allows a small selection of software to run as soon as you turn on your phone. This means that phone calls, alarms, and the like can right away from boot, while apps that you download and more personal data won’t work until you enter the password.

This was a part of Google’s revised approach to encryption, which saw the old entire partition encryption method replaced by file-level encryption. File-level encryption is faster on older devices because the system doesn’t have to decrypt huge chunks of data all at once. This method has the added benefit of granting apps much finer control over the data that is and isn’t decrypted, which can significantly improve security in the event that a system is compromised.

Google continued to further improve its security features with Android 8.0 Oreo with more granular control over app permissions, additions to the Verified Boot feature, native two-factor authentication support, and more. More importantly, Oreo also introduced enhanced encryption for the enterprise. All devices are able to utilize separate encryption keys for personal and work profiles. Device administrators are also given the ability to activate work profile keys remotely to ensure complete data protection. Oreo also brought Project Treble with it, which was another big step to ensure faster delivery of software and security updates.

The recently released Android 9.0 Pie introduced some key privacy and encryption features as well. Now, apps running in the background will no longer have access to the mic and camera and other sensors (other than GPS). Also huge is the addition of client-side encryption.
The newer the Android version, the better it is for security.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.