Is there another program that will remove registry entries for the files I manually delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I had a six-month trial of Webroot, and one of Webroot's many good features was having a function for doing just that. (See screenshot.)

I had a hard drive fail on me, and I'm determined not to let this one get overcrowded on me. So I destroy lots of files that can't be removed with Revo Uninstaller when I decide I have no use for them, especially setup files.

Maybe I already have a program that will let me get rid of the registry entries corresponding to folders and files I delete, and I just don't know it. I just found out I can selectively delete System Restore points with CCleaner. :D

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
74.5 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA)
Free 40.53 GB
3.67 GB Lexar USB Flash DriveUSB Device (USB)
119.22 GB PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan free

Attachments

• Want a program that will do this for me.png
    Want a program that will do this for me.png
    43 KB · Views: 527
M

MalwareT

Try CCleaner or Auslogics Registry Cleaner, they are absolutely safe. Next time when you are uninstalling programs use Revo Uninstaller. ;)

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Providing you've got some advanced knowledge of the registry and are sure you know which registry keys are safe to delete and which aren't (and are sensible enough to make a registry backup before hand), this tool may help you:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/regscanner.html

You can use it to search for registry keys. For example, find all registry keys containing "Skype" which will list you keys such as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Skype
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Skype
and even
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Skype "C:\Program Files\Skype\skype.exe"

etc.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I have replaced 3 hard drives over the years. They fail because they are worn out like an old car & not from being overcrowded unless you let the disk get full. Then I think you get a warning stating the disk is full. Hard drives don't last forever, they get a lot of mileage put on them through constant use.

Reactions: Cowpipe
I

illumination

The method Cowpipe suggested is the best, of course depending on your knowledge..

One can open the registry editor , click edit, then click "find" fill in the application name, and it will search for all corresponding files. Once the first one opens, you can then toggle F3 and switch to each one..

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Try CCleaner or Auslogics Registry Cleaner, they are absolutely safe.

Are you sure they have the capacity to do what Webroot does in this respect? Or are you just saying run a registry cleaning with one of those two programs?

Next time when you are uninstalling programs use Revo Uninstaller. ;)

I do use Revo to uninstall programs, and IObit Uninstaller. Sometimes IObit finds more of the leftovers. I find no problems result from running them together.

But many times one wants to get rid of folders and files that have no entry in Revo or Iobit. And sometimes one finds folders and files they left behind.

Providing you've got some advanced knowledge of the registry and are sure you know which registry keys are safe to delete and which aren't (and are sensible enough to make a registry backup before hand), this tool may help you:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/regscanner.html

I will look into that. I just downloaded what may be a similar program named RegAlyzer from Spybot's company. I haven't installed it yet.

I also use RegSeeker.

Regseeker. Does anybody else have anything to say about it?

I have replaced 3 hard drives over the years. They fail because they are worn out like an old car & not from being overcrowded unless you let the disk get full. Then I think you get a warning stating the disk is full. Hard drives don't last forever, they get a lot of mileage put on them through constant use.

Mine was old, but I also let it get quite overcrowded, and I had some blue screens that suggested that hard drive overcrowding could be the culprit.

The method Cowpipe suggested is the best, of course depending on your knowledge..

One can open the registry editor , click edit, then click "find" fill in the application name, and it will search for all corresponding files. Once the first one opens, you can then toggle F3 and switch to each one..

Thank you for that advice. I'm not nearly as familiar with the registry as with files and folders. So I like it when a good software handles that for me, like Revo and IObit do during an uninstallation. I believe those programs are generally regarded as safe, whereas I know that the general opinion among techies is that few or no registry cleaner programs are safe.

I still think that surely Webroot is surely not the only software that enables one to manually shred files and folders and have it remove their corresponding registry entries. It says : "You can remove files using Secureanywhere and automatically remove associated registry entries."

Maybe there are other anti-viruses that can do this? Does Hunter Mode in Revo Uninstall (which I've never used--I find it confusing) remove the registry entries?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
IObit Uninstaller removes left over entries from uninstalled programs.It also allows you the option to make a restore point before you uninstall.If there is a problem you can restore to that point.I use IObit uninstaller & CCleaner or manual removal.CCleaner allows you to back up the registry before deleting entries.I have only had to use the back up twice in the many years I have been using it.CCleaner is a very reliable program for any level of experience.Many of these other reg cleaners can cause you problems if you are not absolutely sure about what you are removing.

M

MalwareT

IObit Uninstaller removes left over entries from uninstalled programs.It also allows you the option to make a restore point before you uninstall.If there is a problem you can restore to that point.I use IObit uninstaller & CCleaner or manual removal.CCleaner allows you to back up the registry before deleting entries.I have only had to use the back up twice in the many years I have been using it.CCleaner is a very reliable program for any level of experience.Many of these other reg cleaners can cause you problems if you are not absolutely sure about what you are removing.

IObit Uninstaller is great, they also have when it found traces, you can shred them. CCleaner + IObit Uninstaller is good enough for me :)

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Webroot does have an option to remove a file and associated registry entries with it..

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
If you know where to look, regedit is enough to do the job but it's easier said than done. I used Revo before but now I just rely on an apps provided for uninstaller

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Webroot does have an option to remove a file and associated registry entries with it..

Yes, yes. And I figure the chances are it's not the only program that does that. So I'm trying to find out if there's another one.

Maybe Littlebits would know. He runs a pretty cool software website in addition to his duties here and his local business. (Where does he get the time?)

If I could find a program that would do what Webroot does as described here, it would save me a lot of time. Personally poking around in the registry can be quite time-consuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nikos751

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Revo Pro has & option name trace mode do you use it? When you install app's in trace mode,when it is time to uninstall, it remove all traces of the app your uninstalling.:)

Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.