Advice Request Is there any good open-source antivirus alternative?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Kaspersky free for non-commercial use, comodo free products for both commercial and non-commercial use are some good options
You didn't understand the questions. It is about open source antivirus software.

I would basically say that ClamWim is only the program that uses the signatures and the engine of ClamAV. There are no dynamic modules there.
The situation is different with Immunet: There the ClamAV engine is built in and a dynamic protection, but Immunet is not open source, only one part, ClamAV.

Free GNU software is therefore not an option for Windows. However, you could harden your system with Hard_Configurator. The program is not open source, however, the best solution that could answer your question.

I don't use Windows, but if I used it, I would disable Windows Defender and other protection mechanisms, install Hard_Configurator and use SmartScreen. I'm as excited about free open source software as you are.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
AVs need constant support from the developers i.e. for signature updates developers need to work continuously. This is quite difficult for open source community, and the companies which are there to make profit won't give out their source code. That's why we don't see open source AVs that much. May be some day with crowd funding some body will come out with a solution. But at this time we can just hope for it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.