Advice Request Problem running KIS with Comodo firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I really like this sandbox feature in CF, but I am using KIS for realtime protection and I don't want to use firewall of CF!
Comodo doesn't have a stand alone containment/sandbox product but you could try installing CF and disabling the firewall element. General Firewall Settings, PC Firewall, Firewall Protection | Internet Security but you'll need to whitelist some of the KIS program folders as there's been some conflicts in the past but see if that works for you.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I had Comodo Firewall for 2 years on my PC with Microsoft Defender. Had issues with Edge and stopped using it. I'm now with KIS and Windows 11. No issues. With NextDNS and Adguard ( extension)and a tweaked KIS, my protection is good. I don't need anything else.
If you absolutely want to add Comodo, make an image of your present system. Then add Comodo and exclude each other. And pray!

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi friend. I don't really think you need Comodo's Sandbox if you're using Kaspersky Internet Security.

See, Comodo's Sandbox greatest advantage is the virtualization of unknown files (say "all files which are unsigned or signed by a vendor not included in the Trusted Vendors List).

If you are using Kaspersky Internet Security, you have Application Control. Application Control doesn't virtualize, but acts as an anti-execution type-of module (say "all files which are unsigned or signed by a vendor not included in the Trusted Vendors List are denied of execution).

Therefore, having both products would be a waste of time and resources. First instance, the unknown file will be blocked by KIS Application Control, so Comodo's Sandbox won't be able to do much. In order to use this last one, you'd have to disable Kaspersky's AC, which doesn't make much sense.

My suggestion: configure Kaspersky the right way (there are several threads about it). That way you won't need anything else.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Agree with what the others say here, KIS on it's own with AppControth enabled negates the need to use Comodo's containment. I was just providing a possible solution if you decided to try and have both installed.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think the comodo sandbox is meaningful because it coexists with fw and hips. If you want to use the sandbox in advance, you can use Sandboxie or Windows sandbox instead.

It's probably possible for KIS and comod to co-exist by previously reported methods, such as installing comodo first, but be aware that complex configurations can be problematic.
I agree with @RoboMan 's opinion.

Agree with what the others say here, KIS on it's own with AppControth enabled negates the need to use Comodo's containment. I was just providing a possible solution if you decided to try and have both installed.
I understand that your comments prioritize the intent of the questioner.(y)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I really like this sandbox feature in CF, but I am using KIS for realtime protection and I don't want to use firewall of CF!
Yes, you can easily do this if you want. One of the strengths of CF is that it is extremely configurable. If you really ONLY want the sandbox:

1). Install CF
2). the sandbox will be enabled by default
3). Right click the Comodo Taskbar icon, choose Firewall, click Disable, and then choose Permanently.
4). Do the same for the HIPS (for this one you will have to click on "Advanced View"), and Virusscope.
5). By default CF has Cloud lookup. To disable this also open the GUI, then Settings>File Ratings>File Rating Settings>uncheck Cloud lookup.

Now you have CF with only Containment.

Easy, Easy.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Even if you manage to get KIS to work with Comodo firewall, and you don't mind the warning sign that KIS will give you when you disable its firewall component, I really hope that you enjoy troubleshooting issues. Because you are combining two softwares that are known for their complications in interaction with other software. When you make a combo like that, the issues usually increase exponentially.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Yes, you can easily do this if you want. One of the strengths of CF is that it is extremely configurable. If you really ONLY want the sandbox:

1). Install CF
2). the sandbox will be enabled by default
3). Right click the Comodo Taskbar icon, choose Firewall, click Disable, and then choose Permanently.
4). Do the same for the HIPS (for this one you will have to click on "Advanced View"), and Virusscope.
5). By default CF has Cloud lookup. To disable this also open the GUI, then Settings>File Ratings>File Rating Settings>uncheck Cloud lookup.

Now you have CF with only Containment.

Easy, Easy.
What virus scope does?? is it like a real time protection that may interfere with KIS?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There shouldn't be any interference as the AV modules (VirusScope/Cloud Lookup) get along fine with another AV on board. these modules are more of an on access defense (more like WVSX) rather than a constant real time monitoring (like WD) activity.. Actually I have test systems with CF + WVSX +WD all ensbled, and more often than not when a malware file is run CF will act first (deleting it) prior to a WV action, prior to a WD action.

Mjolnir

Level 2
Verified
Jul 4, 2019
There shouldn't be any interference as the AV modules (VirusScope/Cloud Lookup) get along fine with another AV on board. these modules are more of an on access defense (more like WVSX) rather than a constant real time monitoring (like WD) activity.. Actually I have test systems with CF + WVSX +WD all ensbled, and more often than not when a malware file is run CF will act first (deleting it) prior to a WV action, prior to a WD action.

Does your computer have any problems installing Windows updates with that configuration?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
1647846470230.png

Anyone know how to respond o this? Is this okay to allow?

Reactions: ErzCrz

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.