Is this true that you can see in peoples PCS with their IP?

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
I read on a website that someone can Hack a Computer Only with just a IP ? Is that true?

After you scan ....It will lists you all Opened Ports of the Victim’s PC and you can see all files on his PC . Can this really happen?

Reactions: Butterfly
H

hjlbx

I read on a website that someone can Hack a Computer Only with just a IP ? Is that true?

After you scan ....It will lists you all Opened Ports of the Victim’s PC and you can see all files on his PC . Can this really happen?

If the hack has your IP then they know exactly where to target their attack.

It's just a matter of time... but no need to worry since hacks very rarely target an individual.

Install good firewall that will stealth all ports or brute force block any attacks:

Comodo, Emsisoft, Norton, Bitdefender (if you can get to work on your specific system) and Kaspersky are some of the better known.

The three best firewalls I've tested are Comodo, Emsisoft and Bitdefender at maximum settings.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
oh i made a test with portscan, it said all my ports are closed, but as i made a scan with another software, the ports were open

H

hjlbx

oh i made a test with portscan, it said all my ports are closed, but as i made a scan with another software, the ports were open

If you are behind NAT router, then port scan test will give erroneous results. To properly test while "behind" a NAT router, you have to set up a local area network (LAN) and try to penetrate the system by using another computer connected to the LAN.

Windows firewall is very good at stealthing ports... you should be fine. Don't be OCD paranoid...

Reactions: XhenEd and Ink
I

illumination

A hacker is not going to target a home user, they have nothing to gain doing so, and a lot to lose if caught trying. Because of this, having a lot to lose, they make these attempts worth while by target larger entities where they stand a chance of walking away with something of value.

It takes more then just port scanning to obtain entry into a system to begin with.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
Well i was in a chatroom where my Ip is visible, and i am afraid they can do something with my (dynamic) IP, and i did not change/reboot my IP immediatly.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
While i was in the chatroom, my Windows Firewall was not enabled, i enabled it 1 hour later.

I

illumination

While i was in the chatroom, my Windows Firewall was not enabled, i enabled it 1 hour later.
I shall be the bearer of shocking news, but every website you visit can see your IP, especially the ones running those websites "Admin/staff". Your IP is more well known then your physical address. I would not get to excited about it.

L

LabZero

There are some Network Scanner that allow you to see which computers are connected in a subnet network doing the "ping", they scan TCP ports and possibly resources shared by that computer and accessible without needing to know any administrator password.
Finally they list all details available for each computer, and then mac address, computer name, workgroup name, name of the user who is using it, and if that pc snmp service has many information about hardware and software installed for a full overview on that pc.

If there is no computer firewall is a strong risk of intrusion within the subnetwork.
These IP addresses are internal, these computers don't go out on the internet under the address 192.168.XX .XX but with the same address that is assigned by your internet service provider and that coincides with the external router IP.

Outside that subnet, to enter these PCs, you have to go to the router and bypass your router password knowing your IP address on internet output and this thing begins to be much more complex.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First of all; hackers will gain your PC if you use one of their software, website or other instruments to track your IP address down but in level of environment then home users are very low at risk. By default the ports should be stealth as much as possible without messing any firewall settings either built in from Windows or 3rd party.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Maikuolan

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
Think of it this way.

Imagine someone wants to break into your house: To do so, firstly, they need to actually know where your house -is-. If they don't know the location of your house, short for breaking into -every- house (which, in this context, would be the equivalent of just trying to just hack into multiple networks or computers systematically by their addresses or similar, as opposed to just targeting one, singular system), they won't be able to break into it, or at least, if they break into some random house somewhere, the chances of that house actually being yours, is rather slim. The address of your house, in this context, is your IP address: The address of your internet connection.

Now, if they have your IP address, they now know -where- to hack. However, that in itself, although a significant and required step of specifically targeting your machine, does not necessarily mean that they'll automatically just be able to hack into your machine and access your files.

If, using this metaphor, they want to break into your house, they still need a plan of attack: They could steal your front door key and just walk right in when you're not home (the equivalent, in this context, would be if you have, for example, some sort of remote access software on your machine which is password protected, and they somehow manage to steal your password, thus allowing them remote access to your machine), they could walk around the house to try find an open door or window that you forgot to close or lock (the equivalent of those port scans you mentioned), and from there, exploit that open door or open window to walk right in when you're not home, or something similar (you get the idea).

Take in mind, too, that having an open port, in itself, doesn't always represent some vector of attack that could be used: The target machine needs to actually possess some software or server that listens to that port, which could be used to commit an attack (RATS, or remote access trojans, are a type of malware used to do this). Case in point: Websites and webservers, by their very nature, (usually) require port 80 to be open and listened to by the server software, in order to receive and respond to requests from users to access the website. If a website or webserver closed this port, suddenly, the website would become unavailable.

There's nothing wrong with this port being open in those circumstances. Where this becomes a problem, however, is when there's some software which you won't want outsiders (ie, hackers) gaining access to, which isn't secured, and is listening on an open, unsecured port: In this situation, you've got an exploit on yours hands, which a hacker could use to attack your system.

As already suggested, if you've got a good firewall, and if you close off those ports that aren't required, you should be safe.

Of course, it's generally not a good idea to hand over your IP address to someone that you know to be a hacker, but overall, I wouldn't be overly paranoid about websites you visit having records of your IP address or anything like that.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
thanks. I have a new problem. I was away for 30 minutes, when i came back, all of a sudden there was this message on my laptop:
“Windows has detected an IP address conflict” Another computer on this network has the same ip adress"
Now i am more shocked. What is this? I only use my laptop!!

L

LabZero

That's not a problem.
When you get this notification means that there are two electronic devices (pc, playstation, iphone, etc, that connect using your internet connection) that use the same IP.

It if two people sit on the same chair...

There is no way to avoid it if you do not switch off the device or setting different directives to various equipment (for example setting them all to "use DHCP" which should avoid this problem).

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
But i do not have another device that is enabled. I really have only my laptop connected to the router. My other devices are not enabled. So why did this message came up? I dont understand it.

Last edited:

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
First of all; hackers will gain your PC if you use one of their software, website or other instruments to track your IP address down but in level of environment then home users are very low at risk. By default the ports should be stealth as much as possible without messing any firewall settings either built in from Windows or 3rd party.
But the admin in that videochatprogram can see my ip already, so i do not need to use his softeare, right?

You can read our Privacy Policy here (malwaretips.com: Privacy Policy)
I meant the admins in this videochatprogramm, not you. The admin who run the videoroom are random people, thats why you can not trust them.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.