Is this true that you can see in peoples PCS with their IP?

Maikuolan

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
This "videochatprogramm"; Are you talking an established, well-known software article, or are you talking something random that somebody has just sent you and told you to run on your machine?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
thanks. I have a new problem. I was away for 30 minutes, when i came back, all of a sudden there was this message on my laptop:
“Windows has detected an IP address conflict” Another computer on this network has the same ip adress"
Now i am more shocked. What is this? I only use my laptop!!

I'd assume that you are on a router for this to even happen. All it is, is the sharing of the same local IP address, not the IP address from your ISP. If you were being hacked, the hacker would be connected to you, not sharing your IP. As @Klipsh mentioned, DHCP will automatically assign each device a local IP address such as 192.168.1.15. The 15 part is where the IP will differ from each device. Note that each router brand is different. I use Asus routers, they use 192.168.1.1. I had a router/modem from Comcast which used 10.0.0.1 as the IP address which the computer local IP would be based on that.

Sorry for the rant. In order to fix your problem, you should reboot your router which will reestablish a new local IP to each device. I used to have this problem with 3 Xbox 360's in my house. Either that or you could probably renew your ip address (I don't know if it works for local or not since it's the routers job). You could type in a command prompt (cmd) "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" without quotations to refresh your IP configuration. I'd imagine your router would then give you a new local IP address.

As @frogboy mentioned, you could use a VPN to secure your IP. In VPN's, multiple people use the same IP from the VPN servers. This doesn't conflict with each other and a hacker would basically be screwed in trying to find you especially if your network data is encrypted with 128bit or 256bit using modern and reverent VPN protocols unlike the ones built into Windows that I believe they created. I personally recommend Private Internet Access. Yes it's US based but that isn't a death sentence for privacy. No country is truly private. And I personally believe them when they say "we don't collect any data". Plus if you connect to one of the foreign servers, your info isn't even on a US server in the first place.

Some routers actually have the ability (like a lot of Asus routers) to use a VPN on the router itself without special firmware like Tomato. I've set up Private Internet Access on the router once and it worked like a charm and was secure ALL devices on the network.

But if the admins are criminal... you never know...

I can assure that at least on MT, the admins aren't criminals. I can't speak for other sites that have a ton of ads and tracks. MT doesn't have either and I would have noticed an intruder on my network. A lot of the time I don't even bother using VPN on MT.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@tuui: You should always check their declared agreement on how privacy will be measure, so highly follow those preventive tips to avoid any future problems as possible steer away.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I meant the admins in this videochatprogramm, not you. The admin who run the videoroom are random people, thats why you can not trust them.

Why are you visiting or using their software, if you don't trust them.

How is your laptop connected to your router? Do you use a mobile or tablet? Are their other users on the same network?

You should:
  • Login to your router settings, and change the password (not default).
  • Check the Router Firewall is enabled.
  • If you see a suspicious device on your network, remove it.
  • If Wi-Fi enabled, change to WPA2 Security and use a different passcode (not default).
  • If you don't use Wi-Fi (Wireless) and no one else shares your Internet, disable it.
  • Enable MAC Address Filtering (optional) - Using this option allows only certain devices to use the network, make sure to add your device.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
ok i will check it.

This "videochatprogramm"; Are you talking an established, well-known software article, or are you talking something random that somebody has just sent you and told you to run on your machine?
Its an established well known software, admins can host a room.

tuui

Thread author
Oct 9, 2015
Why are you visiting or using their software, if you don't trust them.

How is your laptop connected to your router? Do you use a mobile or tablet? Are their other users on the same network?

You should:
  • Login to your router settings, and change the password (not default).
  • Check the Router Firewall is enabled.
  • If you see a suspicious device on your network, remove it.
  • If Wi-Fi enabled, change to WPA2 Security and use a different passcode (not default).
  • If you don't use Wi-Fi (Wireless) and no one else shares your Internet, disable it.
  • Enable MAC Address Filtering (optional) - Using this option allows only certain devices to use the network, make sure to add your device.
For MAc Adress what shall i take? it says "mine" or "other" ?
Where can i see where the router firewall is enabled?
There is also something with filter the ipv6 but i dont know what to write.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What Router do you have?

It should be enabled, but otherwise, if available use the search function.

To find your MAC address:
Control Panel > Network and Sharing > View Active Connections and click on the right-side of Connections.
Click on 'Details' > Look for Physical Address (##-##-##-##-##-##).

See online for your version of Windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.