Advice Request Is Tor good for anonymity?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I installed TOR latest version today and checked my anonymity with 'whoer.net'. It was showing 40% anonymity!!! How is this possible?

Attachments

• Snap_20_.png
    Snap_20_.png
    514.7 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: Weebarra

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
i got 100% anonymity but i can see my real ip, my isp, my browser and my system lmao. this is a joke, right? i didnt used any vpn, extensions or whatsoever.

Reactions: Weebarra

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
i got 100% anonymity but i can see my real ip, my isp, my browser and my system lmao. this is a joke, right? i didnt used any vpn, extensions or whatsoever.
Try reloading the page. Did get that once without any VPN which was weird. The score then changed later.

Without VPN: 100 -> 40 (after reloading the site)

With VPN: 90 (consistent throughout 3 browsers)

Though this was on mobile. Haven't tried on my laptop yet.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Don't worry about the percentage. Tor's about as anonymous as you're going to get on the internet nowadays. But if it's anonymity you're after I'd suggest downloading Tails, installing it onto a spare USB drive and firing that up whenever you feel inclined to do so.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
TOR browser gives an average anonymity (to quickly access some webpages and etc), but if you want a real one, you need VPN.

I have got a better result with my default browser (52%) than with TOR (20-40%). :LOL:

Attachments

• capture_02022019_003930.jpg
    capture_02022019_003930.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 238

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
From what I understand it does fingerprinting on your browser and checks with your country of origin to see if there are any discrepancies. A low percentage doesn't mean that your anonymity is low, but rather it is easy to tell that you are using a proxy or a VPN. But you are still protected by the VPN, and the site would not be able to show your real IP.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
TOR browser gives an average anonymity (to quickly access some webpages and etc), but if you want a real one, you need VPN.

I have got a better result with my default browser (52%) than with TOR (20-40%). :LOL:

More false information in two sentences is not possible.
1. learn how Tor works and evaluate then why it is not safe. First of all, I have to trust a VPN to not store my payment details and logs. With Tor, it's theoretically not possible for these two disadvantages to arise.
2. it is clear that i will never get a full score in this test. whoer.net wants to sell and create panic. Why should it rate my VPN better than whoer.net's?
1549127617.png

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Keep in mind is that Whoer assumes you're browsing the site while connected to a VPN server regardless of whether you are or not. From there it looks for inconsistencies relating to your IP address's country of origin.
For example, if you live in the United Kingdom and connect to a VPN server located in Switzerland without changing your browser's language or your system's time zone, any host you connect to can include javascript that allows it to see your system's time zone and use your HTTP header to see the language your browser's set to display pages in. With those two pieces of information they can determine that you probably aren't a Swiss citizen browsing the internet from Switzerland but are in fact browsing the internet from the United Kingdom but are connected to a VPN server in Switzerland.
Both these things are easily remedied: All major browsers have an option to display pages in English without a country designation behind it.
The time zone is also easily remedied if somewhat annoying: Change your system's time zone to match your VPN's server location before connecting to the VPN and change it back after you've disconnected.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.