Advice Request Is Trend Micro 11 (2017) compatible with the Creators Update ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MSDOS8bit

Thread author
Hi,

So I've used a few years ago Trend Micro and i was planning to try it and maybe buy a license, as it's one of my favorite AV. But I've seen on the Trend Micro forums that some users are complaining about some BSOD (see here and here) issues with the Creators Update. A hotfix seems to be available tough.

In their forums, the moderators say Trend Micro is not yet fully compatible with CU. But when i contacted them, they said it is and this problem can be solved with the hotfix.

So if some of you guys are using Trend Micro Antivirus / Internet Security / Maximum Security 11 with the Creators Update, how is it going so far ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
currently all my main systems are on trend. and all of them are with creators update. i highly recommend trend, really high quality product and near great detection.
Hi,

So I've used a few years ago Trend Micro and i was planning to try it and maybe buy a license, as it's one of my favorite AV. But I've seen on the Trend Micro forums that some users are complaining about some BSOD (see here and here) issues with the Creators Update. A hotfix seems to be available tough.

In their forums, the moderators say Trend Micro is not yet fully compatible with CU. But when i contacted them, they said it is and this problem can be solved with the hotfix.

So if some of you guys are using Trend Micro Antivirus / Internet Security / Maximum Security 11 with the Creators Update, how is it going so far ?

Thanks a lot ;)

M

MSDOS8bit

Thread author
currently all my main systems are on trend. and all of them are with creators update. i highly recommend trend, really high quality product and near great detection.

Thanks a lot for your reply, that's really helpful. I agree with you, Trend Micro is really one of the best security software. It's actually one of my favorite AV along with Norton, Webroot and a few others.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
you are so welcome, the problem with trend is that it is detecting threats on execution which makes it weaker(not in real world) in sample testings here
Agreed, we had a problem with a .js downloader that dropped a ransomware variant.
TM has not detected .js as malicious (the employee is the weak link in the chain....) but it has detected the core executable at the time of execution.

Game Of Thrones

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2014
Agreed, we had a problem with a .js downloader that dropped a ransomware variant.
TM has not detected .js as malicious (the employee is the weak link in the chain....) but it has detected the core executable at the time of execution.
trend is somehow like webroot, but it is detecting JS files, about other PE files they are like webroot i thinks. i had a serious talk with one of the webroot's threat researcher :
(((( Webroot will detect non-PE (portable executable) files such as VBS Scripts or batch files if they contain specific malicious instructions. Due to the infrequent discovery of non-PE files that on their own cause actual harm to client machines and the high chance of false positive determinations, the Webroot Threat team is currently only adding potential defection routines for this attack vector on a case by case basis.

The current Threat landscape dictates that most non-PE file or scripts seen today are simply used as an aid to drop/download malicious executable files (PE) on to a victim’s machine – it is the detection and blocking of these malicious executable files Webroot continues to focus on with great success.

No solution can and should claim to be 100% effective against the ever increasing number of malicious software offerings, from Remote Access Trojans (RATs) to Ransomware. By using proven next generation technology, Webroot is able to make better educated decisions on zero-day (brand new) infections by leveraging the collective intelligence available within the Webroot cloud. ))))

i have to say they need to do somehow better but in my recent testings(which this nice guy made me to do) Webroot is not doing that bad. they need some better quality in programming the UI and the program itself specially self defense and the defense with malwares that disconnect the internet like new cerber variant.

M

MSDOS8bit

Thread author
I currently run Trend Micro Maximum Security on all my machines and am running Windows Creators update with no problems what so ever.

Thanks for taking the time to reply me ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hi how is the resource usage with Trend on version 11?
The resource usage with Trend Version 11 is quite good. (Picture attached)
Screenshot_11.png
The System Tray Tool, is Trend Micro's Email encryption tool. TMECSRV Module is a component for the email encryption.
The rest is Trend Micro resources.

It will be different running depending on the hardware you are running but for the most part I have not had a problem with Trend for the whole time I've used them. They were a bit resource heavy back in the day but have gotten better over time.

Reactions: Game Of Thrones
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.