Is Using an AV and Adguard at the same time a good decision?

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

So absically as the thread says: is it a wise decision to use Adguard alongside an AV, or is it better to use in-browser adblockers? Can anything go wrong?

Thanks

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
I've used Avast, Emsisoft and Kaspersky with Adguard, no problems other than when I upgraded to the Anniversary build 14393.10 I kept getting certificate security issues because Avast and Adguard were clashing so I reinstalled them both, started with Avast and then Adguard and It's all been fine here.

D

Deleted member 2913

You may face prob if your AV scans HTTPS. Adguard filters HTTPS & installs certs for it And if your AV also scans HTTPS, will install certs for it So you may face prob And its better to disable HTTPS scan in either Adguard or AV.

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
You may face prob if your AV scans HTTPS. Adguard filters HTTPS & installs certs for it And if your AV also scans HTTPS, will install certs for it So you may face prob And its better to disable HTTPS scan in either Adguard or AV.

I think if you disable HTTPS filter in Adguard, ads won't be blocked on https sites, I've just left them on. Trial it.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
With ESET and Kaspersky, you may have to turn off HTTPS/SSL (in AV) scanning to browse the web or alternatively, you can turn off Adguard WFP driver (located in General Settings) which should only stop system wide blocking but should not affect browsers (excluding Edge as it is not a standard web browser - rather it is an app and falls under "Modern UI applications").

WFP network driver: "WFP network driver provides Modern UI applications filtering in Windows versions 8 and later"

One of many sources: Filtering problem off Edge browser in windows 10

I recently made an account on Adguard's forum and saw they are working on a new driver (currently in alpha so I have no more information or access to it) to rid users of this problem. I haven't seen any problems like this with other AV except Bitdefender from time to time (sometimes sites may require a refresh to fully load with SSL scanning on). My recommendation is to turn off HTTPS/SSL scanning in AV rather than turn off Adguard's driver. It hasn't truly limited web blocking in any way as most sites are still blocked if considered malicious by AV or Adguard itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.