Advice Request Is using two Antivirus at once really that effective?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I agree with Glynn and Nightwalker. Running two AV together would be a disaster. Absolutely zero advantage. Your protection would actually decrease by doing so, resource usage would get very high. Two AVs conflicting might cause several issues.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
As the others have stated, as a generalization, you should not run two full AVs simultaneously.

But... contrary to that common thought..

If an AV is built to run in a complimentary way to another full AV, it can be highly effective.

Both Webroot and Emsisoft started out marketing themselves as being separate, complementary, and fully workable additional AVs for a system. But based on money reasons, both products eventually said that nothing else is needed in addition to their own product... as they realized that most people are not willing to pay for two AVs. Malwarebytes is presently working through this same issue... different parts of the company effectively saying different things. But Malwarebytes too is now effectively an additional AV -- focused on current threats.

Just a few days ago, I was surprised when I read Fabian from Emsisoft mention.... "...fixing several long-standing compatibility issues with products like Kaspersky, Avast, AVG and some other products.."

So if I'm reading that correctly, Emsisoft still is built in a way that it can run with other AVs.

In my opinion, if you can run Emsisoft seamlessly with another AV, Emsisoft is going to be a much stronger product than many other security apps. Of course there are system resource considerations.

I

illumination

If you desire to run more then one engine, why not use a product already running dual engines such as Emsisoft, or Gdata, F-Secure, ect.

Running two separate AV applications as already stated, is not a very good idea.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I would say bad move ( i used to do this thinking i was doubly protected), think of it as you have 2 night watchmen guarding your property, so will one nips out to the back yard for a sneaky smoke thinking hey it's alright the other guy is watching over things out front but in actual fact the other guy has fallen asleep so now no one is guarding your property giving the opportunist thief (malware/ransomware guy) full access to your "house"

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I would say bad move ( i used to do this thinking i was doubly protected), think of it as you have 2 night watchmen guarding your property, so will one nips out to the back yard for a sneaky smoke thinking hey it's alright the other guy is watching over things out front but in actual fact the other guy has fallen asleep so now no one is guarding your property giving the opportunist thief (malware/ransomware guy) full access to your "house"

And when both guards finally see a thief they stop to discuss who should catch him while the thief takes away all the goods...

Last edited:

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 27, 2018
I dont even run one real-time standard antivirus!:ROFLMAO:

I definitely wouldn't run 2, i have no doubt it would cause sooo many problems/conflicts & drag your system down to a crawl. :X3:

Sandboxie / VoodooShield / HitmanPro is super fast & super secure.

You can add as many on-demand scanners as you like, such as Emsisoft, Norton Power Eraser, MalwareBytes etc.

Last edited:

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
how many more people do you need to tell you that it is not a good idea ? well it is not and you don't need two av engines running at the same time . if you want another av you can have EMSISOFT KIT which is free and very effective .

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Hamsters and squirrels competing for sunflower seeds. They do not understand each other. They will not give way to each other either.

In AV software, it is a matter of multiple protection to be said like the iron rule, but what about hips, fw, etc? For example, a combination of anti-virus software with web protection function and web protection plugin of Browser.:unsure:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
You should ry to avoid duplication of function as much as possible. If you are using a security suite that has its own behavior blocker o hips then do not use an external BB or hips. Use too many filtering on your browsing and it wll slow down to a crawl.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
As the others have stated, as a generalization, you should not run two full AVs simultaneously.

But... contrary to that common thought..

If an AV is built to run in a complimentary way to another full AV, it can be highly effective.

Both Webroot and Emsisoft started out marketing themselves as being separate, complementary, and fully workable additional AVs for a system. But based on money reasons, both products eventually said that nothing else is needed in addition to their own product... as they realized that most people are not willing to pay for two AVs. Malwarebytes is presently working through this same issue... different parts of the company effectively saying different things. But Malwarebytes too is now effectively an additional AV -- focused on current threats.

Just a few days ago, I was surprised when I read Fabian from Emsisoft mention.... "...fixing several long-standing compatibility issues with products like Kaspersky, Avast, AVG and some other products.."

So if I'm reading that correctly, Emsisoft still is built in a way that it can run with other AVs.

In my opinion, if you can run Emsisoft seamlessly with another AV, Emsisoft is going to be a much stronger product than many other security apps. Of course there are system resource considerations.
Is emsisoft not a standalone AV / similar to webroot to run alongside other main AV
I don't think so..but as per your information it seems to be true
Any Emsisoft users may clear this #

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
So in the past few months i can't decide whether to run a single or double AV at once, i heard some people told me running Bitdefender and AVAST with disabling some of the settings can be really effective. So what's the truth about this double Antivirus thing?
AV programs use kernel drivers for system hooks and obviously, simply disabling the AV thinking that it is actually stopped, is pointless.
Nothing else to add to what was mentioned above.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No.

They conflict and a waste of resources, this includes "so-called" Companion Anti-Malware or Antivirus software (with real-time protection).

To accompany an Antivirus, look at Sandboxing/Isolation/Hardening/Exploit Prevention tools instead.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It is generally recommended not to, but noone actually tried it recently, so it is somewhat an urban myth. IE is considered unsafe because of IE6 history, though we have IE12 already. AVs have evolved as well and Windows 10 can handle a lot more than XP. People have been running multiple AVs for years and it was even recommended by security experts, they were called antivirus, antispyware or etc back then, but basically all were AVs. Eventually they merged into one product, so obviously, no company would advice people to run a competition software alongside of theirs. Though some AVs states, that you can run them alongside of other AV. Some computers can not even handle a single AV (BSOD, sluggishness), it all comes down to quality of a specific product. The best way to find out, is to try it out yourself. The worst scenario would be an unbootable Windows, the best case scenario, an increased protection at the cost of some system resources of course, so as long as you have a system imaging, there is no harm in trying. You could make it work better for example by using a realtime protection in one and using a web protection in other one.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.