Is Windows 7 with a third party AV less secure than Windows 10 with the same AV?

Homerr

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 3, 2017
I'm not even 100% sure if Windows 10 on its own is more secure than Windows 7. When I Googled it, I found some conflicting stories.

This story (from November 2016) says that according to researchers from Carnegie Mellon, Windows 7 with EMET can be more secure than Windows 10
Security Institute Says Windows 7 Is More Secure than Windows 10 Thanks to EMET

Another story (earlier this year) claims that Microsoft once warned that Windows 7 is now dangerous to use!
Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Is Dangerous To Use [Updated]

I think Windows 10 in general should be more secure.

But what components make Windows 10 more secure than Windows 7?

I know Windows defender in W10 is much better than MSE in W7.

What else would make W10 more secure than W7?

The firewall? (I couldn't find much about the differences in firewall between W10 and 7)

The more frequent updates?

If I use W7 with a 3rd party AV, will it still be less secure than W10 with the same AV?

Will it make any difference if this AV has its own firewall?

For example

W10 with EIS (which includes a third party firewall) vs. W7 with EIS? Will W10 have any security advantage over W7?

W10 with EAM (+Windows built-in firewall) vs. W7 with EAM (with Windows built-in firewall), in this case W10 will be more secure because of its superior firewall?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
But what components make Windows 10 more secure than Windows 7?
Windows 10 has a system-wide Smart Screen, Windows 7 doesn't. You can enable the option to warn when trying to install software outside of Windows Store (useless for me, I know what I download and execute). Also, Windows 10 has more features protecting from suspicious drivers and UEFI protection, but honestly there is no practical difference in how Windows 7 and 10 correlate with boot protection. Many people nowadays talk about Address Space Layout Randomization which is also available in Windows 7.
The firewall? (I couldn't find much about the differences in firewall between W10 and 7)
Firewall works identically within Windows 7 and Windows 10. Network Inspection System is somewhat the same in Microsoft Security Essentials in Windows 7 and Windows Defender in Windows 10.
Security updates are the same. Windows 10 has more "feature-related" updates although.
If I use W7 with a 3rd party AV, will it still be less secure than W10 with the same AV?
Mathematically yes, practically no.

D

Deleted member 178

I'm not even 100% sure if Windows 10 on its own is more secure than Windows 7.
it is : Mitigate threats by using Windows 10 (CU) security features

This story (from November 2016) says that according to researchers from Carnegie Mellon, Windows 7 with EMET can be more secure than Windows 10
Security Institute Says Windows 7 Is More Secure than Windows 10 Thanks to EMET
Nope, check the picture on the link above.

Another story (earlier this year) claims that Microsoft once warned that Windows 7 is now dangerous to use!
Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Is Dangerous To Use [Updated]
Not dangerous, but more exploitable. A careless user is more vulnerable on Win7.

I think Windows 10 in general should be more secure. But what components make Windows 10 more secure than Windows 7? I know Windows defender in W10 is much better than MSE in W7.
What else would make W10 more secure than W7?
- System-wide Smartscreen on Win10 (only in IE for Win7)
- better memory protection
- Patchguard
- Appcontainer
- UEFI
- ELAM

Mitigate threats by using Windows 10 security features (Windows 10)

There is not much difference. I guess they improved it on Win10 but not to a visible extent.

It is a plus.

Definitely, Win10 as better memory protection and its kernel is better protected. (Patchguard). Rootkits will have harder time affecting Win10.

Will it make any difference if this AV has its own firewall? For example
W10 with EIS (which includes a third party firewall) vs. W7 with EIS? Will W10 have any security advantage over W7?
W10 with EAM (+Windows built-in firewall) vs. W7 with EAM (with Windows built-in firewall), in this case W10 will be more secure because of its superior firewall?
EIS will give you outbound connections alerts, so it is a plus for beginners.
Windows Firewall doesn't alert, you have to use a 3rd party tool for that. Advanced users can (like i do ) customize Windows Firewall to make it tighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Idiot user = No system is safe.
Too many are overly attached to Old versions of Windows and throw claims about newer Windows 10. No system is bullet proof.
Yes many Win10 haters actually never tried Win10 or have any clues about its security improvements, they just focus on design and so called "spying " issues .

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Homerr if you want to make W7 and W10 of course you should start using Windows through a standard account
and not an admin account.
I have read a few months ago in an article that almost 80% of infections could be avoided if users were using a standard account
instead of admin because in most cases malware needs elevated privileges to do it's dirty work.
Right now i am using W7 with ESET installed and always browsing through standard account.
If i want to install a new software i am using my admin account;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Yes many Windows 10 haters actually never tried Windows 10 or have any clues about its security improvements, they just focus on design and so called "spying " issues .
The design thing do pose some issues since about 2/3 of system navigation efficiency comes from familiarity. Don't wanna go full Gnome 3 either since every semblance of multitasking and productivity is slower there without extensions requiring more clicks and it doesn't save screen space. Can't jump the bandwagon every time there's change when your system is already good and relearn everything to gain back 2/3 of your productivity. Some people don't really care about security and some of those are smart enough to only get marginal benefits from the additional OS security especially since Windows 7 is still supported and get app updates.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.