Is Zemana AntiMalware Pro, Hitman Pro or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit required in this kind of setup?

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
I have Windows 10 with UAC enabled on a limited account with a password, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, Hitman free, Zemana AntiMalware free, SUMo update checker free, Unchecky, Macrium Reflect for images, and Firefox 64 bit 44.0.2 with accept third party cookies never set.

Sandboxie Pro is installed but I only use it to test different applications at times to not clutter my windows. I don't want to use it in my browser or other apps because I have to go through hoops to update apps somethings.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Sorry I meant to say Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro as well in title.

H

hjlbx

It is recommended to run Firefox sandboxed because of security risks in Mozilla browsers.

Besides, Firefox is not updated that frequently and therefore does not represent a nuisance to update.

In Sandboxie Control select File > Disable Forced Programs > Set time > Update Firefox > File > De-select Disable Forced Programs - you are done updating Firefox in less than 2 minutes - and no hoops.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
It is recommended to run Firefox sandboxed because of security risks in Mozilla browsers.

Besides, Firefox is not updated that frequently and therefore does not represent a nuisance to update.

In Sandboxie Control select File > Disable Forced Programs > Set time > Update Firefox > File > De-select Disable Forced Programs - you are done in less than 2 minutes.

Thanks.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
One more question for now is MBAE just as good as EMET 5.5 ?

Also which is better if one is better than the other ?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

One more question for now is MBAE just as good as EMET 5.5 ?

Also which is better if one is better than the other ?

EMET has a long-standing vulnerability - it can be trivially bypassed by abuse of WoW64.

EMET also does not have full 64 bit support.

Advantages to EMET are that it is free and has fine-grained control of protections per application.

MBAE is better option protection-wise and usability overall.

Compare EMET, MBAE & HMP.A: HitmanPro.Alert - SurfRight

MBAE disadvantage is that it is paid.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
So far the only thing I dislike about Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro is not being able to setup the options, add shield, and add exclusions when in limited user. :(

This sucks.

I am going to go complain on the main forum for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro.

H

hjlbx

So far the only thing I dislike about Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro is not being able to setup the options, add shield, and add exclusions when in limited user. :(

This sucks.

I am going to go complain on the main forum for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Pro.

Then why not use EMET ? It is still good security soft !

I just pointed out two things you needed to be aware of. Those two things are not worth overlooking it - since the probability is very low that you would run into a major problem with the two disadvantages.

Whether you choose EMET, HMP.A or MBAE - they're all good, solid anti-exploits - none are perfect anti-exploits.

If you learn how to configure EMET, then you can overcome some of it's disadvantage. Although that would require some time and effort on your part.

MBAE is designed for "Set-and-Forget."

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Then why not use EMET ? It is still good security soft !

I just pointed out two things you needed to be aware of. Those two things are not worth overlooking it - since the probability is very low that you would run into a major problem with the two disadvantages.

I just found a workaround on their forum! Right click MBAE choose hide. Then open MBAE again and right click the exe and choose run as admin!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.