Israeli Spies Hacked Kaspersky, Discovered Tools Stolen from the US NSA

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Israeli hackers who managed to break into the systems owned by Russian-based security vendor Kaspersky discovered hacking tools that were stolen from the NSA, according to reports that were published by The New York Times and The Washington Post.

The Israeli officials then alerted intelligence agencies in the United States of a potential breach of their network, indicating a possible collaboration between Kaspersky and the Russian government.

US officials, including the US National Intelligence Council, has already informed NATO allies that Kaspersky customer database and source code might have been exposed due to a collaboration with Russia’s intelligence agencies, which could have allowed Russian hackers to launch attacks in both Europe and the United States.

Read more: Israeli Spies Hacked Kaspersky, Discovered Tools Stolen from the US NSA

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I've been dismissive of the Kaspersky paranoia thus far, but this latest revelation gives me real pause about using them in the future.

Not because they are gonna find NSA hacking tools on my computer.

But the Russian government lets their criminal hackers run wild on US citizens, business and government.

And if Kaspersky is supporting that government that uses non-government criminal hackers on a routine bases, I'm not gonna support that.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
No evidence that Kaspersky knowingly helped with the hacks.

Israeli spies managed to get into their system, why can't Russian government hackers with various zero days to help them? At minimum, Kaspersky needs to better secure their systems. I am not sure if that is possible with Windows or even with Intel ME or AMT.

IMO, it was only a matter of time before they went after Kaspersky, they were really good at exposing various state sponsored malware.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
No evidence that Kaspersky knowingly helped with the hacks.

Israeli spies managed to get into their system, why can't Russian government hackers with various zero days to help them? At minimum, Kaspersky needs to better secure their systems. I am not sure if that is possible with Windows or even with Intel ME or AMT.

IMO, it was only a matter of time before they went after Kaspersky, they were really good at exposing various state sponsored malware.
Agreed + 1 for this. (y)

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
I've been dismissive of the Kaspersky paranoia thus far, but this latest revelation gives me real pause about using them in the future.

Not because they are gonna find NSA hacking tools on my computer.

But the Russian government lets their criminal hackers run wild on US citizens, business and government.

And if Kaspersky is supporting that government that uses non-government criminal hackers on a routine bases, I'm not gonna support that.

You might recall all the us companies helping NSA until they all got caught. And remember this is about NSA tools which somebody mananged to hack. Aint no side with clean hands on this stuff. Just our media loves to play the russia angle, but then again are they trust worthy. This is a classic Mad Magazine Spy Vs Spy

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
What has been driving me nuts about this story is how the News Media is dancing around things. You'll never see something saying that the FSB used a Kaspersky backdoor for espionage, but instead nameless "Russian Hackers" were to blame and K is as pure as new snow.

Guys- this stuff is not new. It's just that the previous Administration blew off warnings which led to many resigning in despair. Finally there are those in power with the Ears to Hear and the Wit to Understand.

L

Local Host

I trust Russia and Kaspersky above the United States everyday without thinking twice, despise everyone hate towards Putin I respect him as a leader cause Russia is the only country where corruption is fought hard (if he has to dirty his hands in the process is for a bigger cause).

I was in Russia for 3y and I never saw this dictatorship people tend to talk about, what I saw was a leader fighting corruption (something that doesn't happen in any other government in the world).

If you all believe the Russian folk would bend to a dictator, you guys couldn't be more wrong cause they're strong and wouldn't sit tight, people love Putin all over Russia the time I spent there made me respect him too.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
If a State wants to hack you it doesn't matter if you're Kaspersky, Symantec, Bitdefender or any other security corporation... they have the resources to attack you 24/7 until they find a breach.

If it is a consumer, it would take no effort. Even a hardened target...besides having numerous zero days, some organization like the NSA would have backdoor access to at least the major software/hardware companies products (at least US companies).

Now the US government wants to essentially get rid of encryption, simply brilliant. The NSA has already weakened encryption so they can hack it. Next step, eliminate encryption? That will jeopardize what little security there is left. Imagine doing financial transactions with incredibly weak encryption, RIP piggy banks, this will endanger the entire world economy.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Problem, Reaction, Solution.

I'm thinking Israel is the straw man here used to bolster the US Govt. reaction stoking via an endless stream of FUD. In this case, using what is most likely Unit 8200 to support their FUD. How do we know the Israeli's themselves didn't plant it? All of this to me, seems like a pretty concerted effort to destroy Kaspersky.

So now the question is - motive. Why would the US Govt (and allies) launch an all-out-assault on Kaspersky. What did he do? Find the motive. Anyone with a shred of knowledge about intelligence or counter intel would recognize what our govt. is doing immediately. They direct their efforts to entrap/ensnare/implicate, create the narrative then isolate the subject as much as possible while moving in to attack/discredit/destroy.

Could it be this?
https://usa.kaspersky.com/resource-center/infographics/stuxnet

Or how about this?
https://www.kaspersky.com/about/pre...on-group-the-crown-creator-of-cyber-espionage

Maybe this?
Kaspersky Finds New Nation-State Attack—In Its Own Network

Perhaps this?
Your hard drives were RIDDLED with NSA SPYWARE for YEARS

Consider me skeptical about all of this. Folks always underestimate what our govt. and it's factions are capable and willing to do. Corporations are experts at this. Each negative study that comes out about something (anything) is quickly followed by a string of press releases, studies and articles supporting the item discredited. It's funny, the second I see a negative study about Coffee, the Coffee industry floods the media with positive studies and glowing stories. If you are observant and discerning, you can see this same tired old methodology used everywhere.

Ultimately, the goal is 'confusion' and when confusion is instilled in people it often results in acceptance of the supposed fact that offers the least resistance. For example if you are already a coffee drinker and you read coffee has some bad effects, but then read 10 articles/studies saying coffee is good your human instinct is to say 'Well I already drink it, and there isn't a consensus on the effects of coffee, so I will just continue to drink it.' (coffee being used as an example here).

Cigarettes would be a better example. Some of the earliest studies in the 1950's showed cigs caused lung cancer. But the industry created so much counter evidence (forged), and such a campaign '1 in 10 doctors recommend Lucky Strike!' that most people followed the least resistant consensus at the time - which was - I already smoke and evidence isn't concrete yet! While the tobacco industry reaped billions of dollars over decades, and millions of people died.

Last edited by a moderator:

davetenay

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2015
I trust Russia and Kaspersky above the United States everyday without thinking twice, despise everyone hate towards Putin I respect him as a leader cause Russia is the only country where corruption is fought hard (if he has to dirty his hands in the process is for a bigger cause).

I was in Russia for 3y and I never saw this dictatorship people tend to talk about, what I saw was a leader fighting corruption (something that doesn't happen in any other government in the world).

Yeah, except for the corruption which concerns his inner circle of loyal people (Medvedev and so on).

Reactions: vemn and frogboy

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
What has been driving me nuts about this story is how the News Media is dancing around things. You'll never see something saying that the FSB used a Kaspersky backdoor for espionage, but instead nameless "Russian Hackers" were to blame and K is as pure as new snow.

Guys- this stuff is not new. It's just that the previous Administration blew off warnings which led to many resigning in despair. Finally there are those in power with the Ears to Hear and the Wit to Understand.

They have to dance when they make up stuff

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Still after all this news , what will people do ? many customers are going to dump/ditch Kaspersky from their systems...
Political war or not between these countries, were still in the middle of it.
i also don't know what to do ... using KFA now for about a week, or using something else again like Bitdefender free or Avast :unsure:

Reactions: upnorth and frogboy

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Pat- this has absolutely NOTHING to do about the Home user! Sadly Kaspersky makes excellent products, which has been the cause of my personal conflict for years. Understand that Russia seeks nothing from the likes of you and me (China may, but only if you have security clearance). But that some folks will dismiss reality just because the Russian's are smart enough to let Comrade E have plausible deniability ("I had no idea about the backdoor! Honest!") troubles me greatly.

(Peter- Thank You! You understand)

F

ForgottenSeer 65219

I'm Impressed by all Kaspersky Defenders in this forum.
There are some false elements in any story but we have a proverb in Persian that is Equal to "Where there's smoke there's fire" in English.
So Frankly Kaspersky has a long track of this Kind of behavior in last Decade.
Better Safe than Sorry! :cool:
Keep Defending Kaspersky :ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Still after all this news , what will people do ? many customers are going to dump/ditch Kaspersky from their systems..

This is how they know it's working.. They've installed enough 'doubt' in you with what amounts to zero actual evidence and a 'trust our word' from US and Israeli Intelligence? So the masses will run back to 'comfort zone' products. Trend Micro, which is basically a CIA front. McAfee, Symantec, Vypre, Webroot and the other healthy intelligence personal stocked firms, right?

While Americans are probably ripe and gullible for this, the rest of the world really doesn't trust US or Israeli intelligence and Kaspersky's footprint outside of the US will likely INCREASE from all of this.

L

Local Host

I'm Impressed by all Kaspersky Defenders in this forum.
There are some false elements in any story but we have a proverb in Persian that is Equal to "Where there's smoke there's fire" in English.
So Frankly Kaspersky has a long track of this Kind of behavior in last Decade.
Better Safe than Sorry! :cool:
Keep Defending Kaspersky :ROFLMAO:
That's what America wants you to think, fact is there's not a single bit of evidence on the table that proves Kaspersky is aiding the Russian government. Not to mention Kaspersky has been open to the whole issue (their Source Code is Open) and they're well known to protect their costumers privacy.

This is how they know it's working.. They've installed enough 'doubt' in you with what amounts to zero actual evidence and a 'trust our word' from US and Israeli Intelligence? So the masses will run back to 'comfort zone' products. Trend Micro, which is basically a CIA front. McAfee, Symantec, Vypre, Webroot and the other healthy intelligence personal stocked firms, right?

While Americans are probably ripe and gullible for this, the rest of the world really doesn't trust US or Israeli intelligence and Kaspersky's footprint outside of the US will likely INCREASE from all of this.
Pretty much.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.