Israeli Spies Hacked Kaspersky, Discovered Tools Stolen from the US NSA

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
It's not a question of defending Kaspersky but of defending a company that is being accused without a single bit of evidence in an obvious politically motivated campaign. If tomorrow the Kremlin accused Symantec of being a spy tool to the NSA with the same amount of evidence I'm seeing in this Kaspersky novel, I would defend Symantec the same way.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's not a question of defending Kaspersky but of defending a company that is being accused without a single bit of evidence in an obvious politically motivated campaign. If tomorrow the Kremlin accused Symantec of being a spy tool to the NSA with the same amount of evidence I'm seeing in this Kaspersky novel, I would defend Symantec the same way.

The thing is, Kaspersky doesn't need to implicate firms like McAfee and Trend in spying - they've implicated THEMSELVES. In addition, US Intelligence, via leaks, have been implicated in precisely what they are claiming Kaspersky has done. Except in the case of US Intel and partner firms - there is also a wealth of evidence they've done just that!

The problem is, Trend Micro literally merged labs with the CIA's primary contractor. They OBVIOUSLY are spying, Kaspersky doesn't even have to call them out for it. Yet there isn't a shred of evidence against Kaspersky and they are claiming this?

https://www.owler.com/reports/booz-...-allen-hamilton-and-trend-micro/1449836655829
Booz Allen Hamilton and Trend Micro Partnership Fuses Research teams and labs.

Do Microsoft, Symantec, and McAfee Security Software Deliberately Not Find NSA Spyware?

Anyone with any discernment can see through their little scam going on. This is a revenge hit on Kaspersky IMO. Nothing more. But in the process I am sure they believe they can convince a significant amount of people to switch to their backdoored antivirus programs, right? Also I am pretty much convinced this isn't just about huge corporations, critical infrastructure and govt. contractors. Otherwise the PRS agenda wouldn't be so widespread. It's rather evident that they're trying to instill panic about this product to the population at large.

Linkedin is now full of intell-shills promoting the same FUD.. One big name researcher wrote a mirrored Linkedin article about how Microsoft will soon force uninstall Kaspersky and Trend Micro is going to start flagging Kaspersky products as malware.. Pretty much a full article of lies, but it's making the shills easy to spot. We just need to flush them out and point out their deceptions so people can make rational, informed decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I work around a lot of IT Engineers. Nobody believes this nonsense.

I just spoke with a director of a 1,200 endpoint firm, we're picking them up for IT. The lead engineer said they use Kaspersky. I asked the inevitable - 'are you continuing with that, or moving away?', his answer made me laugh.. 'Staying with it, of course, we don't care about fake news.'. :unsure:

Itachi Sempai

Level 2
Verified
Sep 20, 2017
I work around a lot of IT Engineers. Nobody believes this nonsense.

I just spoke with a director of a 1,200 endpoint firm, we're picking them up for IT. The lead engineer said they use Kaspersky. I asked the inevitable - 'are you continuing with that, or moving away?', his answer made me laugh.. 'Staying with it, of course, we don't care about fake news.'. :unsure:
i really wonder how did he determined that it is a fake news and kaspersky didnot collaborated with russian government?

how anyone on this forum or outside of it can tell that kaspersky is innocent? based on what?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Security Matters | Nota Bene: Eugene Kaspersky's Official Blog
They are going after a firm that has uncovered the NSA/Mossad on more than one occassion!!;)
All of this is nonsense and a smearing campaign against Kaspersky!!!
No solid evidence whatsoever!!!

LOL, so the KSN picked up the NSA tool, sent it off to machine learning VM's, then into their database, then into the hands of analysts. Here comes the Unit8200 guys noticing Kaspersky analysts 'toying around' with allegedly stolen NSA tools except that this was just all a part of normal business operations? That's actually more plausible sounding than anything and fits Occam's razor quite nicely.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
LOL, so the KSN picked up the NSA tool, sent it off to machine learning VM's, then into their database, then into the hands of analysts. Here comes the Unit8200 guys noticing Kaspersky analysts 'toying around' with allegedly stolen NSA tools except that this was just all a part of normal business operations? That's actually more plausible sounding than anything and fits Occam's razor quite nicely.
VxAPw2D.png

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Eugene - 2, NSA/CIA/Unit8200 - 0

Discredit Kaspersky? Fine, here's a nice free AV for the world. +1 Kaspersky.
My analysts hacked an NSA hackers computer and stole malware? No, KSN sent the file to us because it WAS new and unseen malware. +1 Kaspersky

11bvm0.jpg

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
More:

Russia Has Turned Kaspersky Software Into Tool for Spying

WASHINGTON—The Russian government used a popular antivirus software to secretly scan computers around the world for classified U.S. government documents and top-secret information, modifying the program to turn it into an espionage tool, according to current and former U.S. officials with knowledge of the matter.
But the use of the Kaspersky program to spy on the U.S. is broader and more pervasive than the operation against that one individual, whose name hasn’t been publicly released, current and former officials said.
“There is no way, based on what the software was doing, that Kaspersky couldn’t have known about this,” said a former U.S. official with knowledge of information gleaned in 2015 about how the software was used to search for American secrets. He said the nature of the software is such that it would have had to be programmed to look for specific keywords, and Kaspersky’s employees likely would have known that was happening, this former official said.

I have bee using Kaspersky for years I just don't know what to think about all this.

I could remove it and install something else but if it really is happening at Kaspersky, they are probably not the only ones with a government using their program.

Perhaps the best solution to all of this is a good multiplayer protection scheme.

Reactions: upnorth

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
cold war 3 :)
just a politic game , these speech always around the "popular" company in the world , but in this case Kaspersky is "the victim"
they can't mark another russian companies because they have not popular as Kaspersky and also do't deteced Their spies tools :D

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Israeli hackers who managed to break into the systems owned by Russian-based security vendor Kaspersky discovered hacking tools that were stolen from the NSA, according to reports that were published by The New York Times and The Washington Post.

The Israeli officials then alerted intelligence agencies in the United States of a potential breach of their network, indicating a possible collaboration between Kaspersky and the Russian government.

US officials, including the US National Intelligence Council, has already informed NATO allies that Kaspersky customer database and source code might have been exposed due to a collaboration with Russia’s intelligence agencies, which could have allowed Russian hackers to launch attacks in both Europe and the United States.

Read more: Israeli Spies Hacked Kaspersky, Discovered Tools Stolen from the US NSA
Maybe Kaspersky wasn't installed on their hacked system? Or they were using other AVs?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.