Advice Request Issues with realtime scanning and defragging

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Hello, I posted in the security configuration forum, and for system specs, I tried to insert a link to my belarc advisor page. One item on that page says that my realtime scanning is OFF on my 360TSE free, if it is how can I turn it on???

My next question is: Why do I have to turn off my protection in order to defrag the Cache.001, 002,...etc. to defrag this portion of 360's database??

I use defraggler from piriform, I have sent in questions on the feedback page of this antivirus but have yet to receive an answer. :)

Any assistance will be appreciated. :)

Reactions: AtlBo

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If I remember 360TSE correctly I believe you can right click on 360TSE's icon in the taskbar and there should be a slider underneath the amount of days it says you've been protected for that allows you to turn on real-time protection. If I'm wrong, doing so should give you an option to go into the settings and turn it on.

Unfortunately I can't answer the second question for you. I've never had to disable my real-time protection for any AV when defragging my hard drive as far as I can remember.

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
Unfortunately I can't answer the second question for you. I've never had to disable my real-time protection for any AV when defragging my hard drive as far as I can remember.

Exiting all programs, disabling your antivirus software, and emptying the Recycle Bin before you run a Disk Defragmentation was once considered to be good practice. You want to avoid the possibility of duplicate scanning occurring.

Of course if you have a Solid State Drive SSD then defrag is not necessary.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Exiting all programs, disabling your antivirus software, and emptying the Recycle Bin before you run a Disk Defragmentation was once considered to be good practice. You want to avoid the possibility of duplicate scanning occurring.

Of course if you have a Solid State Drive SSD then defrag is not necessary.
I always exited all programs but I wasn't aware the other two were best practices. I rarely defrag my hard drive nowadays but if I do, I generally run it right before I head off to work and leave it to run. Never noticed any issues but I'll keep the whole shutting down my AV before defragging in mind.

Reactions: AtlBo and reboot

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
I always exited all programs but I wasn't aware the other two were best practices. I rarely defrag my hard drive nowadays but if I do, I generally run it right before I head off to work and leave it to run. Never noticed any issues but I'll keep the whole shutting down my AV before defragging in mind.

If you can appreciate the logic of emptying the recycle bin then you may also consider clearing your temp files before doing a defrag.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Hi, thanks everyone for your replies,

1. it is only the cache.001 etc. files that will not defrag, the rest of 360 will defrag nicely. I always run TFC and CCleaner before defragging, I delete files automatically and bypass the recycle bin. And when I disable my av I just disconnect from the internet and then defrag, my hd is only 39gb so it only takes about 3 minutes for a quick defrag and a half hour for a full defrag. My defrag does not get above 3% as I defrag weekly or sometimes more.

2. As for the slider to turn on realtime, It is on always unless I am defragging, it is blue and when I turn it off it is orange so I can be aware that it is off. So if this is real time, why does belarc say it is off?
There is nothing in the settings concerning real time scanning, I have checked. ???

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
In Defraggler have you tried highlighting the individual files and defragging them one at a time?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Those files are in use and therefore cannot be relocated on the drive.

Running CCleaner before defragmenting is a good practice. Running your monthly defrags after patch Tuesday is also optimum.

Defragmenting an SSD is not only unnecessary but wears out the SSD faster (they have a limited number of writes).

Windows/Belarc may not be reporting 360's status correctly--especially if you don't have all engines enabled; test it with EICAR.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
@reboot: no I removed the option from my right click menu, I do not like a lot of things on the menu. :) and there are generally 18 or so files, thanks for the suggestion.

@Rolo: thank you that clarifies that point, on 360 I do have all engines enabled, and I was doing some reading last night and found out that the only engine used in realtime is the regular engines only on a manual scan are all the engines in use. :(

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
@Rolo: thank you that clarifies that point, on 360 I do have all engines enabled, and I was doing some reading last night and found out that the only engine used in realtime is the regular engines only on a manual scan are all the engines in use. :(
That makes sense since it's geared to be light. Whatever AV you're using, test it (and all your mechanisms) with EICAR at least.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Rolo, I created the EICAR file and 360 detected it and quarantined the file, so that is a good thing correct??

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I never had that issue with 360 TSE and Auslogic Defrag on my sister's Windows 8

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
@Rolo, thanks, I had thought it was on and now am glad it has been verified. :)

@WinXPert, it may be because it is windows 8 or because it is a different defragger, but now that I know the reason they were not being defragged I can live with it and go on as I have been, :)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
@Rolo, thanks, I had thought it was on and now am glad it has been verified. :)

@WinXPert, it may be because it is windows 8 or because it is a different defragger, but now that I know the reason they were not being defragged I can live with it and go on as I have been, :)
If there's a boot-time defrag, that should take care of those.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I think I found why this is happening to you
  • Bitdefender engine is on
  • The files are in use (C:\ProgramData\360safe\bd\Plugins\cache.0**)
Never had this problem because I never use BD engine.

How to defrag those cache files without turning off your AV:
  • Temporarily disable BD Engine.
  • On the File list tab of Defraggler, manually select all cache.0xx files and click Defrag Checked.
... or you just ignore them since they are just 12 Kb at most (on my PC)

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
@Rolo, I have boot time defrag to run everytime, I do not restart to often and it mostly does the page file and the logs of event viewer, it is really quick a couple of seconds so I can't really read what other items are being defragged. :)

@WinXPert, I like to use all the engines as that will get me the best scan, I believe, and it will not bug me now that I know why and you are right it is not much , but I like to get to 0% fragmented all the time, and since I disconnect from the internet when I defrag, it will not harm me to turn off the av, But thanks for the detailed explanation. :)

Reactions: AtlBo and WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
3357dr4.jpg

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Yes, WinXPert, that is how it looks before I turn off the AV, I defragment everything else first and then run analyze which leaves just the cache's, and then turnoff the av and defrag, then turn av back on and reconnect to the internet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.