It’s time. Delete your Twitter DMs

Stopspying

Level 19
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

"...The latest screw-up at Twitter? An ill-considered intiative by Musk to rid Twitter of 'bloatware' seemingly accidentally locked some users out the site for a while, as SMS-based two-factor authentication was accidentally disabled.
It sounds like someone was ordered to rip some code out of Twitter, and they simply didn’t understand the complexity of Twitter’s system – the gazillions of dependencies and consequences that just making one change can have on other parts of the site.
The only people likely to understand those links and dependencies between Twitter’s systems, and raise a warning of possible consequences, are most likely people that Twitter has already fired. If they even were still employed by the company, chances are that Twitter’s new boss wouldn’t listen to them. were still employed by the company, chances are that Twitter’s new boss wouldn’t listen to them.
So, what does this mean for you if you’re a Twitter user? Well, I’m a Twitter user… and I find it worrying.
Because although most of what I do on Twitter is public, I have also had plenty private direct message (DM) conversations in the almost 15 years I’ve been a user on the site.
I can’t remember everything I’ve said in those conversations, or what people may have said back to me.
If Twitter is careless enough to break how 2FA works for some of its users a few days ago, what mistake might they make next? If Twitter’s security experts have either been fired, have quit, or – presumably – are wondering where they should go next, then just how safe is my data on Twitter?.."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.