It’s Time to Audit All the Extensions You've Installed on Your Browser

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
https://gizmodo.com/it-s-time-to-audit-all-the-extensions-youve-installed-o-1831486181

A lot of what we do on our computers goes through the browser, and that means any extensions you choose to add on top of that browser have a very privileged position: They can see where you’re going online, they can see the data you’re passing to and from the web, and they can send and receive data themselves.

With that in mind, it’s essential that the add-ons you install are ones that you trust—most extensions are built and coded without malicious intent, but there are always going to be bad actors out there. As well as keeping the number of extensions you use down to an absolute minimum, you should also make yourself aware of what these extensions have permission to do.
Just like apps on your phone, browser add-ons have to be granted permissions, which are usually displayed when you install them. Most of the time there’s no granular control over these permissions—you either accept them or don’t install the add-on.

These permissions will often include accessing your bookmarks, browsing history, and the data on websites you access. In the majority of cases these permissions will be used to enable the add-ons functions—like identifying links and previewing them, for example—but if you’re not comfortable with this level of access, get rid of the extension.
Below you’ll find an explanation of how to review and audit all the extensions you’ve installed in your browser.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have seen some extensions like those for translation require browsing data, visited website data etc; I don't use much extensions so I cannot tell about others. We can always disable those extensions in FF. But in Chrome translation is inbuilt, so can it be bad? Its really difficult to say.

Reactions: Vasudev

I have seen some extensions like those for translation require browsing data, visited website data etc; I don't use much extensions so I cannot tell about others. We can always disable those extensions in FF. But in Chrome translation is inbuilt, so can it be bad? Its really difficult to say.
Chrome is bad for privacy itself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.