It Works Both Ways: Google Telling Microsoft Edge Users to Switch to Chrome

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Microsoft has recently started showing the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge as the recommended choice whenever someone searches for Chrome on Windows 10, and now the search giant is using a similar approach for its very own browser.

In other words, Google is now trying to convince Edge users to try out Google Chrome using its very own arsenal.

More specifically, TechDows has discovered that when signing in to a Google account using Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, Google sends the typical sign-in notification on Gmail to warn users about the new login. But in addition to the warning message, Google has also included a small surprise.

“Make the most out of Windows 10 with the Chrome browser. Chrome is a fast, simple and secure browser, built for the modern web,” a message included in this email reads.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I only "visit" Google when the captive portal for the WiFi at my hotel sends me there after a successful login. It defaults to opening the page in MS Edge, where Google often adds a note asking me to install Chrome for a "better" experience. I have Edge set not to save any cookies or history, since I use it mainly as a PDF reader. (If I use Firefox - always in private mode - to log in to the captive portal, Google does not ask me to install Chrome.)
Goolag.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Google says Edge is bad, MS says chrome is bad, that means Firefox is best. :D

Reactions: South Park
May 14, 2020
I only "visit" Google when the captive portal for the WiFi at my hotel sends me there after a successful login. It defaults to opening the page in MS Edge, where Google often adds a note asking me to install Chrome for a "better" experience. I have Edge set not to save any cookies or history, since I use it mainly as a PDF reader. (If I use Firefox - always in private mode - to log in to the captive portal, Google does not ask me to install Chrome.)
View attachment 242326
"Hide annoying ads." Isn't this ad annoying?..

Reactions: South Park

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
it would be better if Chrome browser remove from Windows so problem solved

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
View attachment 242326
You can always block that with content blocker extension like uBlock Origin. Or just keep that one cookie.
"Hide annoying ads." Isn't this ad annoying?..
Not as nearly annoying as Edge ads in Windows 10 that cannot be turned off.

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png Screenshot_4.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.