I've noticed a decline in Zemana capabilities.

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
Hi Guys,

Longtime Zemana supporter here. (Paid, 3 year, 15 licenses)

We've noticed lately, detections have been very poor. While I realize this is subjective and based entirely on our experience and I may get savaged for this. In the past when we isolated a newer threat, Zemana almost universally flagged it but these days this is very rare for us.

For example today I took some of our threats collected last week and scanned them with Zemana and it showed no threats. Yet all of these are identified by the major AV products. Keep in mind, I am sure Pandora would snag them on execution, it simply doesn't see them when scanned. Back when we knew Zemana used multiple engines it seemed fantastic for catching stuff like this. But not so any longer.

Also, our firm is one of the larger MSP's, we log close to 3,000 malware removals a month. Zemana portable was always our first scanner used and always did a pretty amazing job. These days it rarely finds more than a couple threats and when we run other scanners (EEK, NPE, etc) they find sometimes a half dozen or more Zemana missed.

Can anyone confirm Zemana is still using third party antivirus engines? We can't find any evidence it is still doing this. For example today I tested samples detected by Kaspersky, Eset and Avira but Zemana missed them. I thought Zemana used one or all of those engines?

Thanks for the tips.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
No idea if Zemana still uses the engines. However, it has for sure been declining in usefulness. Maybe try using HitmanPro.Alert. Malwarebytes is starting to bounce back.. Always be sure to be backed up by more protection like an AV or a program like Voodooshield. :)

WinXPert

Level 24
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 7
Antivirus
Qihoo 360
Still flag Youtube Downloader as malware because VT said so. Useless reason. That's why I'll never recommend it ever. But still use it because it's required as 2nd Opinion scanner at the HUB.

On my ex-gf , ZAM missed 2 malwares then WD caught them when i upgraded her to Windows 10...
Blame VT for not flagging them :cool:

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
No idea if Zemana still uses the engines. However, it has for sure been declining in usefulness. Maybe try using HitmanPro.Alert. Malwarebytes is starting to bounce back.. Always be sure to be backed up by more protection like an AV or a program like Voodooshield. :)
I'm thinking they don't use those engines and I feel a bit cheated buying 3 year license for 15 devices. It just doesn't seem nearly as useful as it once was. Also I noticed I have been having a bit more trouble with Anti-Logger disrupting non-malicious programs. A recent beta-game I installed wouldn't work with Zemana Anti-Logger running, even after exclusions were entered.

I suppose Trend Micro Maximum is enough, after all my systems sit behind: Fortinet 200D on the Gateway, Untangle Appliance (Paid) Transparent behind the gateway (ClamAV+Bit Defender), and Trend Micro Maximum on all devices that can have an AV installed. We've never had a piece of malware/riskware successfully navigate down to any endpoint/device in the home.

I liked Zemana as a last resort thing and/or on-demand scanner, but it seems to be less and less useful as the days go on. If we can verify they did indeed move all of the non-Zemana engines then it's usefulness to be is all but over.

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
Still flag Youtube Downloader as malware because VT said so. Useless reason. That's why I'll never recommend it ever. But still use it because it's required as 2nd Opinion scanner at the HUB.

Blame VT for not flagging them :cool:
Is it really even VT these days? I have a zero-day I discovered a few days ago, 28 AV's on VT show it as a threat. Zemana STILL misses it..

What have they done with this thing?

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
Second opinion type products aren't what they used to be. I miss things like Pest Patrol or GIANT Antispyware.

MBAM 3X seems buggy and it is doing more than I would want it to do. (I miss 1.75) HitmanPro, I have had bad experiences with that company in the past in relation to licensing issues on system restores, also HMPA caused a good number of 'weird' issues when I installed it on two machines to test. SuperAntiSpyware seems useless unless cookies scare you. I won't touch Failroot InsecureAnywhere.

Not much left these days, maybe I will just stick to my UTM's and Trend and call it a day. Too bad, I have 2 years left on my Zemana renewal... Ugh.

Evjl's Rain

Level 33
Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast
Second opinion type products aren't what they used to be. I miss things like Pest Patrol or GIANT Antispyware.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3X seems buggy and it is doing more than I would want it to do. (I miss 1.75) HitmanPro, I have had bad experiences with that company in the past in relation to licensing issues on system restores, also HMPA caused a good number of 'weird' issues when I installed it on two machines to test. SuperAntiSpyware seems useless unless cookies scare you. I won't touch Failroot InsecureAnywhere.

Not much left these days, maybe I will just stick to my UTM's and Trend and call it a day. Too bad, I have 2 years left on my Zemana renewal... Ugh.
just wait for a few months when the ultimate version comes out and let's see how worth it is
until now, I totally agree with you that ZAM has been weaker than itself a year ago. However, I noticed a little bit of improvement in real-time protection
there are so many giveways for zemana that you don't have to buy

I also reported memory usage problem to zemana support: it used 450Mb of physical and 450Mb of commit = ~900-1000Mb! The said it was a reasonable amount...

I think Secureaplus is much better than zemana in terms of detection rate and there are 2-year giveaways or 1-year trial for free

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
Maybe but they should continue with 100% support for their current software until it is discontinued I think, they still need to look after their customers. ;)
That's my thought as well. Especially since I converted all of my Zemana AM licenses to Zemana AL(Antilogger) licenses, paying them more money to do that. The product I purchased over a year ago is in my opinion not the product I am getting today.

The aforementioned memory issue, lackluster detection on scanning (compared to a year ago), the apparently lack of 'multiple' third party engines, I feel like I got ripped off. Also the fact that support either gives me bad answers or won't answer at all. It is unlikely I will renew or purchase any of their products in the future. That means my licenses will be relegated to on-demand scans once a week or so - a waste of money for me.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Bitdefender
That's my thought as well. Especially since I converted all of my Zemana AM licenses to Zemana AL(Antilogger) licenses, paying them more money to do that. The product I purchased over a year ago is in my opinion not the product I am getting today.

The aforementioned memory issue, lackluster detection on scanning (compared to a year ago), the apparently lack of 'multiple' third party engines, I feel like I got ripped off. Also the fact that support either gives me bad answers or won't answer at all. It is unlikely I will renew or purchase any of their products in the future. That means my licenses will be relegated to on-demand scans once a week or so - a waste of money for me.
If i was in your position, i would completely agree and feel ripped off too :(
like @frogboy said above, they should still support and look after their customers of their other software even if they are working on a new product.

Maybe they did reduce/drop other third party engines support in ZAL and are going to make it available for their new "ultimate" product ??
if so, then thats still a shady move since they removed a feature from a product that you bought fairly and in good faith...
Only way i think they could "make it better" so to say, is to give current ZAL customers free upgrade to ultimate version for as long as their ZAL license is valid at least... but if they plan to do that, they shouldn't remove features from ZAL BEFORE ultimate version is launched...

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Maybe but they should continue with 100% support for their current software until it is discontinued I think, they still need to look after their customers. ;)
Fully agree, indeed I think that because the latest ZAL version is over a month old, when before they had accustomed us to more frequent updates:

Zemana AntiLogger 2.72.2.388

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 12:44 PM

- Improved self-defense to run on already infected systems.

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
Fully agree, indeed I think that because the latest ZAL version is over a month old, when before they had accustomed us to more frequent updates:

Zemana AntiLogger 2.72.2.388

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 12:44 PM

- Improved self-defense to run on already infected systems.
Yes! I noticed updating basically stopped, back in April.. I used to see updates every week, sometimes several per week. Now nothing.. Here's what I noticed about Zemana lately;

1) Lack of updates.
2) Unpatched bugs.
3) Lackluster Detection.
4) No response from support email/forms.

I did some more testing today by using a sample set detected by Eset, Avira and Kaspersky. Engines that were 'supposedly' in Zemana. Zemana totally missed all of them, and these are 3 month old samples. My conclusion - thus far - is Zemana pulled out the other engines without notifying customers. Otherwise their lack of desire to explain to me what is going on or to answer ANY support emails could be supporting evidence of this.

This is not the Zemana I purchased over a year ago and I feel ripped off. I won't be supporting this company any longer in any of their endeavors, nor recommending them unless we get a clear explanation of what is going on and possibly compensation for my licenses. Right now I am looking over issuing a charge back if I can't get some resolution with them. I hate to take it to that level but to me they sold me something that is no longer what they sold me. It reminds me of my support of Admuncher and Murray Hurps running off with my money.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Bitdefender
Yes! I noticed updating basically stopped, back in April.. I used to see updates every week, sometimes several per week. Now nothing.. Here's what I noticed about Zemana lately;

1) Lack of updates.
2) Unpatched bugs.
3) Lackluster Detection.
4) No response from support email/forms.

I did some more testing today by using a sample set detected by Eset, Avira and Kaspersky. Engines that were 'supposedly' in Zemana. Zemana totally missed all of them, and these are 3 month old samples. My conclusion - thus far - is Zemana pulled out the other engines without notifying customers. Otherwise their lack of desire to explain to me what is going on or to answer ANY support emails could be supporting evidence of this.

This is not the Zemana I purchased over a year ago and I feel ripped off. I won't be supporting this company any longer in any of their endeavors, nor recommending them unless we get a clear explanation of what is going on and possibly compensation for my licenses. Right now I am looking over issuing a charge back if I can't get some resolution with them. I hate to take it to that level but to me they sold me something that is no longer what they sold me. It reminds me of my support of Admuncher and Murray Hurps running off with my money.
I have question about your setup (i just installed ZAL to test yesterday):
1) under real time protection settings > is Pandora Cloud enabled ?
2) under advanced settings > auto upload is turned on? (i think its on by default i cant remember)

OS
Windows 10
My laptop suffered for around 2 years of overheatings and constant -several seconds- freezings.
Emisoft was my antivirus along with Zemana Antilogger.
Both licenses expired and tried Panda which found nothing. Then I went to Sophos Home Beta and Zemana Antimalware Premium.
Sophos found a couple of malware installers. Then Zemana did a great job finding suspicious registry entries and a couple more malware installers.
Since then, my laptop came to life again!
I don't know if ZAM was better before, but to me it did a better job than Emsisoft and Panda.

Slyguy

Level 31
OS
Other OS
My laptop suffered for around 2 years of overheatings and constant -several seconds- freezings.
Emisoft was my antivirus along with Zemana Antilogger.
Both licenses expired and tried Panda which found nothing. Then I went to Sophos Home Beta and Zemana Antimalware Premium.
Sophos found a couple of malware installers. Then Zemana did a great job finding suspicious registry entries and a couple more malware installers.
Since then, my laptop came to life again!
I don't know if ZAM was better before, but to me it did a better job than Emsisoft and Panda.
Sophos right now I don't care for, also it can really slow browsing.. InterceptX with integrated HMPA may prove interesting. Panda is lackluster, especially for PUA in my experience. I like Emsisoft, and currently have 10 PC 3 year license, it's effective with A2 and Bit engines and a really nice Web Scanner that picks up things most products do not. However I have found the software can be buggy at times as the only downside. Emsisoft is ridiculously good at finding PUA though.

Actually my 2 favorite AV's are Emsisoft and Trend Micro. Since I have Bit Defender on the gateway, I tend to lean to Trend for blended protection.

Zemana was always there because it was very lightweight and offered 5 additional engines.. Now? Not so sure.