J.R. Smith resigns as AVG CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
Security solutions provider AVG Technologies has announced that J.R. Smith is no longer the company’s chief executive officer (CEO). However, Smith will not leave the company, instead he will become a member of the Supervisory Board.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CEO-of-AVG-Technologies-J-R-Smith-Resigns-335510.shtml

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
hmm..he is a good man and also in his time AVG improved a lot..!!!

After a new CEO i think the GUI of AVG is changed which is not good for some people and also improve in detection..!!!

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
Akash209 said:

After a new CEO i think the GUI of AVG is changed which is not good for some people and also improve in detection..!!!

Yeah he was a very good person and CEO, it suprised me that he had resigned. A little bird has told me that the interface will be different in version 2014 so maybe it will be better :). They definetly need to improve their detection, as that was the reason why I dropped AVG in favour of Avast 8.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Didn't even know he was. Shows how much I pay attention. :-/

Akash209

Verified
Feb 11, 2013
simmy said:
Akash209 said:

Yeah he was a very good person and CEO, it suprised me that he had resigned. A little bird has told me that the interface will be different in version 2014 so maybe it will be better :). They definetly need to improve their detection, as that was the reason why I dropped AVG in favour of Avast 8.

You have uninstall AVG for Avast 8 ??
I think AVG is much better than Avast! Not only it has a better detection rate and firewall, but it's features are better than those of Avat.
Yes, the AVG user interface is not that great, but this doesn't affect its protection level.. In every video test of Avast and Avg I saw, AVG did a better job than Avast.
Avg has a higher detection rate than Avast, and also Avast 8 is very buggy and unstable just like Norton!

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
Akash209 said:
simmy said:
Akash209 said:

Avg droped in favour of avast8..??? noway, avg is much better then avast..! In dection , firwall,, in overall AVG is Better then Avast.! Yes, the GUI is not looking good in AVG but it cant effect the PROTECTION... in every test of avast and avg you saw avg doing better then avast..
You may saw in the some malware files in MT, avg dectes mush faster and more in favour of Avg.. Avast 8 was too much buggy and unstable like Norton..!

I feel much safer using Avast due to the Sandbox, Safe Zone, File Rep as well as the Evo Gen classification components. AVG on the other hand simply as normal antivirus definitions and Identity Protection (a behavior blocker that simply looks for malicious patterns in software, and as such some files do slip by).

One other reason for me ditching AVG was the advertising of third party programs within the user interface. I was a registered Premium security user and as such I did not expect to see adverts in the UI for Slimware Driver Updater as well as Speedtest.com. In the free version fair enough, however the paid versions should stay ad free.

I have also not experienced any bugs at all with Avast 8 at the moment, and it is working very well for me. :)

S

starchild76

I wonder who's next in line to leave the company , 2 people leaving in such a short time after eachother ( Rachel Bakker - advocacy manager and then J.R. Smith ) this is not a good sign! I think AVG is going in the wrong direction with their dreaded secure search and now teaming up with slimdivers : definately NOT smart move Simmy and me gave AVG quite a lot suggestions for improvement on AVG , but they do not response in they way we want and this is what you do see with other security vendors : THEY LISTEN TO THEIR FANS! and they detection rate of AVG better than AVAST? well......you can forget about that! avast has always been a little better in that department. and AVG has a lot of features missing , that avast has , so thats a big advantage also! AVG relies on signature detection , and that is just not enough! Like simmy , I too am a AVG fan , but like I said before I hate the direction they are heading for at the moment and I hope for them , they make huge improvements for the 2014 product line so they will have a bright future , and not the same future as coranti had!

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
McLovin said:
Didn't even know he was. Shows how much I pay attention. :-/

I don't blame you McLovin, I didn't know who he was until I ventured onto the AVG Youtube page! He basically pushed the developers towards implementing the Do Not Track component, and focusing on consumer privacy.

simmy

Thread author
Nov 15, 2011
starchild76 said:
I wonder who's next in line to leave the company , 2 people leaving in such a short time after eachother ( Rachel Bakker - advocacy manager and then J.R. Smith ) this is not a good sign! I think AVG is going in the wrong direction with their dreaded secure search and now teaming up with slimdivers : definately NOT smart move Simmy and me gave AVG quite a lot suggestions for improvement on AVG , but they do not response in they way we want and this is what you do see with other security vendors : THEY LISTEN TO THEIR FANS! and they detection rate of AVG better than AVAST? well......you can forget about that! avast has always been a little better in that department. and AVG has a lot of features missing , that avast has , so thats a big advantage also! AVG relies on signature detection , and that is just not enough! Like simmy , I too am a AVG fan , but like I said before I hate the direction they are heading for at the moment and I hope for them , they make huge improvements for the 2014 product line so they will have a bright future , and not the same future as coranti had!

I completely agree. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

S

starchild76

AVG Identity protection is good a weeding out mailicious sites and blocking the majority you throw at them , but when it comes to blocking live zeroday malware samples , well it becomes a different story all together! all lot of samples are not detected! while avast behaviour behaviour blocker is way superior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.