Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys,
This the config that I use for my Samsung S8+ phone. I'm using Sophos as security and anti-theft, and most importantly I've stopped using Chrome because it doesn't support extensions (most importantly an ad blocker). The device is updated to the latest security patch.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I think the Web Filter of Sophos Mobile Security don't work with FF

Configure web filtering settings for Sophos Mobile Security

This is common to paid AVs as well. The AV supports many browsers but the web filter supports limited browsers only
In the Web Filter settings it says that Firefox is protected. I usually have very safe browsing habits but I'll give it a try to see how the web guard works with Firefox.

Screenshot_20190204-164930_Sophos Mobile Security.jpg
Cool dude, but i thought you had an iPhone :emoji_sob::D
Never had an iPhone. I've always used Android, up until the Pixel line I've owned all Nexus phones. I like Android more than iOS.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
In the Web Filter settings it says that Firefox is protected. I usually have very safe browsing habits but I'll give it a try to see how the web guard works with Firefox.

View attachment 207800

Never had an iPhone. I've always used Android, up until the Pixel line I've had owned all Nexus phones. I like Android more than iOS.
Actually, if you choose some choiced filters + uBO together will provide a better web filter

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
@Jack Thanks for sharing! I have just one thing to suggest, i would add Adguard :giggle: Otherwise it's a nice config!
Thank you @spaceoctopus , I'm giving AdGuard for Android a try. What filtering method do you use Local VPN or Local Proxy? Because it's always running, I have to ask if it has a noticeable impact on the battery?

Also, I've replaced Sophos with Malwarebytes for Android (Trial) to test it.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
@Jack Hi! I use Local VPN mode for a very long time now. So far i had no battery draining or other issues whatsoever. Just updated smoothly to the latest version today (ver 3.0) Local proxy mode is better if you have your phone rooted :oops:
I'll second that. Have been rocking Adguard since dawn of the times (read really long time ago) and been so satisfied with it. Recent v3 is huge upgrade. Definitely a keeper!
For -40% discount
AdGuard 3.0 for Android - The most powerful Android ad blocker | Product Hunt

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Thank you @spaceoctopus , I'm giving AdGuard for Android a try. What filtering method do you use Local VPN or Local Proxy? Because it's always running, I have to ask if it has a noticeable impact on the battery?

Also, I've replaced Sophos with Malwarebytes for Android (Trial) to test it.
Localvpn filtering is better. Only reason proxy mode was made was because many people want to also use a vpn.
FAQ | AdGuard Knowledgebase

I don't have a noticeable drain on my phone by adguard.

Antimalware on phones is a waste of battery. Keep your phone updated, don't allow apps from unknown sources, use your brain and you are done. Anything else is a big waste of timeeeee.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys,
I've replaced the default YouTube app with YouTube Vanced. The main reason was: the ads. They were showing too often and were too intrusive. Apart from blocking the ads, YouTube Vanced comes with a lot of features that would be available only in the YouTube Premium version. Things like Picture in Picture, background playing, and other small perks.
Here is a complete list:
  • Blocks all YouTube Ads
  • Background playback feature
  • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
  • Override Max Resolution
  • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
  • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
  • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
  • PiP (Oreo Only)
  • Video window new or old style
  • Repeat video feature
  • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
  • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness

If you are an advanced user and want to give this a try, here is how to install it.

1. Install the MicroG APK if you want to log in with your YouTube account. Here is a direct link: https://vanced.app/APKs?type=NONROOT
  2. Find the YouTube Vanced APK that you want and download it. Here is the direct link https://www.xda-developers.com/youtube-vanced-apk/ - I prefer the black version.
  3. Install the APK like you normally would.
  4. Don't forget to uncheck again the "Install from unknown sources" option.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.