Japan bans Huawei and ZTE 5G networking hardware; will Canada be next?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Germany's IT watchdog has expressed scepticism about calls for a boycott of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei, saying it has seen no evidence the firm could use its equipment to spy for Beijing, news weekly Spiegel reported on Friday (Dec 14).. Read more below

'No evidence' of Huawei spying, says German IT watchdog

and 2 Canadians detained by the Chinese

US to help get Canadian detainees freed amid Huawei row, Pompeo says

What the US is going to do with Cloudflare?

U.S. Tech Giant Cloudflare Provides Cybersecurity For At Least 7 Terror Groups
Good stuff @HarborFront , appreciate the heads up :emoji_ok_hand: The west has apparently decided to take a hard stance on intellectual property theft, it would have made more sense to have taken this stance 15 years ago but, better late than never right, sure sure sure, hell yeah.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
This is so funny :)) Snowden exposed US spy program and now they want to ban Huawei accussing for spying on us.
I think it's a more geopolitical decision.
This made me think of Huawei marketing share on world smartphones: Samsung, Huawei, Apple, it's second without US.

D

Deleted member 178

This is so funny :)) Snowden exposed US spy program and now they want to ban Huawei accussing for spying on us.
I think it's a more geopolitical decision.
This made me think of Huawei marketing share on world smartphones: Samsung, Huawei, Apple, it's second without US.
This is all smoke and mirrors made by US to discredit rivals on a telecom trade war (5G, phones, etc...).
Nothing new there.
Future will be digital, the country at the top will lead the world.

D

Deleted member 178

Block or hamper foreign competitors, so local one can boost the prices...classic strategy...

As I said, just a trade war to deploy next 5G networks.

Naive people clueless of geopolitics and economy drink the BS of the 5-eyes.

Even if China did put backdoors on devices, be assured than western countries probably did too. Ask CIA.
China entered in the digital business not so long ago. Western countries preceded them and are the main chips' producers (Intel, AMD, etc...) with way more experience...

Come on... And only China is blamed?

Wake up.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Here's a simple little comment I like, not re: the Huawei phone but another product: the Watch GT, which potentially could be back-doored also. Do you think this uproar about surveillance would now be a deterrent to the Chinese government for actually implementing any backdoor? This is now global, people all over the place are aware.

Huawei Watch GT review: When hardware and software don’t mesh

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
My post was just to show Huawei's latest move on the game board, and at the same time, fireup a few members maybe.

@plat1098 , I was hoping to have a wristphone at this point and I'm baffled why there isn't. Interesting forum, here is a semi-senseable post

GlenBarrington Ars Centurion
REPLYDEC 16, 2018 12:54 PM
Albino_Boo wrote:
"Only buy this watch if you are happy with the Chinese government watching you".

Your fears are not totally unfounded. I'm sorry I discounted your post, earlier. My apologies. The Chinese are NOT currently our friends. However, I do believe that by enmeshing them inextricably into our economic system, they will become shareholders in its success.

The best thing we, as the representatives of western economic powers, can do to, and FOR, China, is to make them understand THEIR success depends on OUR success. That trade has to be more than a one-way street. They need to become more than SELLERS to the west, they need to become buyers as well.

By the same token, 'smaller' Asian nations like Viet Nam, Indonesia ( I know Indonesia is not small, but it isn't a global political power, either), and, in time, even N.Korea have no reason to trust China or its motives. More engagement with them will go a long way in achieving this goal. I also think the USA needs to emphasize its inherent differences from the old European colonial powers. We need to be seen by them not as an ersatz European power, but a genuine, new-world power, making a clean break from Old Europe. This is true in that American's of European ancestry are soon to be in the minority in the USA,

This would also help, I think, with China's efforts in Africa. From what I've read, the African nations are very ambivalent about their engagement with and reliance on European nations, and as a result, see China as a way to temper that reliance. The USA should also be seen as such a moderating force.

I think a policy of 'competitive-cooperation' with China makes a lot of sense for the West. so isolating them economically and/or culturally, makes no sense.

Please regard me as an 'old white-guy' who likes to think about big ideas. There are no guarantees I am correct about anyting.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
If the US has been caught implementing backdoors, and China has been caught or is strongly suspected of doing it, and the same could be argued about Russia, or any other major world power for that matter, then would it not make sense to use hardware with firmware that is created by local firms on critical infrastructure?

D

Deleted member 178

The problem is that some people believe that there is the good guys (usually western countries) or bad guys (China and Russia at the moment), when in fact there is no good guys...ones are bold and direct (China, Russia), others are subtle and covers their tracks (western ones) but at the end they aim the same, full control of their citizens.

artek

Level 5
Verified
May 23, 2014
The problem is that some people believe that there is the good guys (usually western countries) or bad guys (China and Russia at the moment), when in fact there is no good guys...ones are bold and direct (China, Russia), others are subtle and covers their tracks (western ones) but at the end they aim the same, full control of their citizens.

I don't think it's a question of good or bad, that seems to me to be a separate issue. But one of the two listed powers is and has been regularly stealing innovation from the west:

This comment though perhaps apocryphal is not far off of what many western tech companies experience with regards to China:
"It was said that near the end, Nortel suddenly found itself being undercut on telco infrastructure bids around the world by Huawei selling equipment with identical performance specifications but at 1/2 the cost (stolen from Nortel). Of course the customers went with lower cost Huawei and Nortel was toast. "

At this point, if you're from the west and are about to jump into using Chinese hardware for either private enterprise or critical infrastructure, I don't think you have your head screwed on straight.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.