Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
Japan is not Haiti ....

Japan is not Haiti ....

Here is what to expect in the coming months out of the disaster that has affected Northeast Japan:

How do I know .... I was living just outside of Kobe when the monstrous jishin (earthquake) hit in January 1995 and virtually destroyed the center of a major Japanese City killing 6,600 people covering a 20 mile swath. I was right in the middle.

Down the street from where I lived a 7 story apartment building ended up being 4 stories. My next door neighbor died from a collapsed roof.

When the quake hit, I thought it was a bomb going off.

Here's what didn't happen:

There was no looting or breaking into food stores

There was no time for trying to blame anyone

There was no one cutting in the front of the line to get water

There were no calls to lawyers

Here is what did happen:

The people in the Kobe Area were not waiting around for a US Aircraft Carrier

The Military was deployed immediately to dig and search.

The Yakuza (Japanese Mafia) were the early suppliers of medical supplies and food (They had the connections and the means to get the material to the folks

Within days Temporary housing was being constructed all over the Area

Within days portable showers and toilet facilities were set up all over the Area

Within days, supermarkets were opened and the queues stretched endlessly as they could only let a few people in the stores at a time. There was no anger, yelling, blaming, looting, cutting in front

Within hours ... clean-up began by everyone .. students, teachers, seniors, yakuza, politicians. Everyone seemed to be contributing in some way.

As a foreigner, I was treated like everyone else ....

Result:

By the time I left Japan 4 years later, I would say 90 % of the entire City of Kobe had been rebuilt .... and consider that New York has been unable to erect a couple of building at ground zero now going on 10 years.

So like I said, Japan is not Haiti...nor New Orleans. They don't need us...that is not to say they would not be unappreciative of any assistance. Probably the best thing we can do is provide helicopters, portable medical facilities and staffing if requested and search sniffing dogs.

Or, instead of moving to Australia, maybe I'll move to Japan. :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Good read,thank you for sharing :D ...What happend in Japan is a real tragedy....Japan is a very powerfull country ..if this tragedy were to happen in a less developed country, the effects would be more severe...
Like the authour or the article says : Japan is not Haiti ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.