Japan's Cyber-Security Minister Has 'Never Used a Computer'

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Japan's new cyber-security minister has dumbfounded his country by saying he has never used a computer.

Yoshitaka Sakurada made the admission to a committee of lawmakers. "Since I was 25 years old and independent I have instructed my staff and secretaries. I have never used a computer in my life," he said, according to a translation by the Kyodo news agency. The 68-year-old was appointed to his post last month. His duties include overseeing cyber-defence preparations for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.

A politician from the opposition Democratic Party, Masato Imai, whose question had prompted the admission, expressed surprise. "I find it unbelievable that someone who is responsible for cyber-security measures has never used a computer," he said. But Mr Sakurada responded that other officials had the necessary experience and he was confident there would not be a problem. However, his struggle to answer a follow-up question about whether USB drives were in use at the country's nuclear power stations caused further concern. The disclosure has been much discussed on social media where the reaction has been a mix of astonishment and hilarity, with some noting that at least it should mean Mr Sakurada would be hard to hack.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think that it symbolizes the recognition of Japanese security against the web. It may be better to ask all to "Blue Planet-works" .
I can say with confidence that 'I am a bit more informed about security knowledge than my own minister.':ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The thing is, he is probably practicing the best security ever himself by not even using them. Even though it is ridiculous.

One of my former clients I consulted is an extremely high profile individual. Someone most people on this forum probably know. This individual uses virtually no technology. His phone is a retro Nokia CMDA activated under T-Mobile. He does not own a computer (desktop or laptop). Important emails come in for him and he has someone type them out on a typewriter, and hand them to him. When he buys a 'connected' vehicle he has engineers go in and disable all of the connected features, microphones, etc. He has a near zero-threat surface, and with the enemies he has, this is probably very wise. (and I attribute some of the level of attacks I have faced likely because I consulted for this person and his enemies were looking for places to probe for data on him)

There are people out there like this and not all of them are ignorant, some are very smart. Others have very good reasons to be like this. But I agree in the case of this guy from Japan, it seems ridiculous!

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
A good administrator can run a company selling any widget or shepherd a gov dept or ngo with no hands on experience with the product or mission at all, it's a matter of organizational experience and delegation, as he stated.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

A good administrator can run a company selling any widget or shepherd a gov dept or ngo with no hands on experience with the product or mission at all, it's a matter of organizational experience and delegation, as he stated.

The person I referred to with a potato CDMA phone and typewriter runs far far more than a corporation, very efficiently I might add. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

comp.png

D

Deleted member 178

People forget that we are talking about a politician, he has a battalion of experts and advisors to explain things simply to him. No need to be an expert himself.
He can still take critical decisions based on his experts reports.

In some countries, actors can be president...

E

Eddie Morra

Team: "Sir what do we do?"

Minister: "Calibrate the airborne nuclear electromagnetic MD5 SHA-1 SHA-256 RSA-2048 cryptographic hash private checksum engine framework over the 3.1415926535 field and divert the wind speed from the right-wing wormhole powered by Next-Gen Ai/ML from 20981 at the left centre of the human organ through the server main-frame reaction created by the core energy which is solar-powered whilst dodging the malicious packets passing through the optical fibre cable without triggering any rootkit or bootkit identification algorithms whilst maintaining seamless computer-less infection support"

Team: "Lolwut?"

Minister: "Calibrate the airborne nuclear electromagnetic MD5 SHA-1 SHA-256 RSA-2048 cryptographic hash private checksum engine framework over the 3.1415926535 field and divert the wind speed from the right-wing wormhole powered by Next-Gen Ai/ML from 20981 at the left centre of the human organ through the server main-frame reaction created by the core energy which is solar-powered whilst dodging the malicious packets passing through the optical fibre cable without triggering any rootkit or bootkit identification algorithms whilst maintaining seamless computer-less infection support"

Team: "What does that mean? That makes no sense."

Minister: "Dunno really I read it in a school text-book for Computer Science. In fact I've never even used a computer."

Team: "Attacks were successful so we failed, all the systems are done across the whole country..."

Minister: "Now there's no more systems to hack so we're set for the future."

Last edited by a moderator:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
People forget that we are talking about a politician, he has a battalion of experts and advisors to explain things simply to him. No need to be an expert himself.
He can still take critical decisions based on his experts reports.

In some countries, actors can be president...
Thank you for this, it should have been the last word on the matter.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
If this lady can be Belgium's minister of health, anything is possible.

View attachment 201786
She is actually quite competent for the role. Her appearance has nothing to do with it. She was a practicing doctor for many years and has proven competent in several areas.

Way I see it, Japan and Belgium know what they are doing. If the person appointed for the job seems odd on the surface, take a deeper look and you may be surprised.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
This is actually the reality in our country. For example officials and ministers in sports department are always those who have never played any sport. Politicians in our country are actually the least qualified people around, not just in education but in every aspect of knowledge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.