Judge Rules FBI Cannot View a Phone Lock Screen Without a Warrant

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
In a Seattle court, Judge John Coughenour determined that gathering evidence from a lock screen constitutes a search, therefore doing so without first obtaining a warrant violates the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable search seizure.

Joseph Sam from Washington state was arrested in May 2019 and indicted on several charges related to robbery and assault. The suspect was in possession of a Motorola smartphone. According to Sam, one of the officers present at his arrest pressed the power button to bring up the phone's lock screen.

shadowman

May 22, 2020
NIce story...
Montanez is going to spend six months in jail for preventing police from rooting around in seized cellphones for evidence they don’t need and which would likely be highly irrelevant to these criminal proceedings.
I'd rather do 6 months in jail then give out the password and have the cops find more dirt on him and then serve 10 year sentence (y)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Clearly someone has done something that will net them more than 6 months...
42kqo7.jpg

shadowman

May 22, 2020
Ill ASSume the risk isnt worth the reward. Crime just dont pay. But then again, if I was a cop and there were no more criminals. Ill have to start arresting honest people. I have to make my quota. LOL

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.