Advice Request Just curious do you really think Comodo FW add sometthing good to Emsisoft AM?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65228

I think that if you believe there is a benefit of combining Comodo Firewall alongside Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and as long as there are no compatibility issues with doing this, then there is not a problem with doing so. For example, you may prefer to rely on Comodo for handling network traffic communication interception over Windows Firewall (even though traditional firewall components within security software nowadays are basically overlays of what Windows already does as opposed to build from the ground-up - most stopped doing this nowadays because of how hard maintenance can be).

The problem is when people stack multiples of security software alongside, even if there is no compatibility issue, simply because they feel they will be "better" protected, when in actual fact this is far from the truth. Comodo Firewall alongside Emsisoft Anti-Malware, or any thing else, will increment the attack vectors which could be targeted by an attacker - thankfully this is not usually a Home user problem but this is still reality.

I personally think that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is good enough and that Comodo Firewall isn't really required at all. Emsisoft provide the user with a powerful (but now elegant to use and control) Behavior Blocker component for zero-day malware protection, along with a dual-engine real-time protection/on-demand scanner component and pretty decent web protection. I would personally just enable Windows Defender, and possibly make modifications to the configuration for it if necessary. With this being said, the BB component under Emsisoft Anti-Malware still has the ability to intercept network traffic (which was always separate from their old Firewall component during the IS version - and they still have this ability now).

I hope that you manage to figure out your configuration which works well for you and makes you feel comfortable. :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It provides a firewall at worse case scenario and this is their module that i use atm. I didn't have to add anything or change any setting to make it work.

Last edited:

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Good things in protection might be e.g. sandbox, files/folders and processes restrictions, real in/out connections control...and you don't find it in EAM...but in Comodo you can. :cool:

I want to know do you think really comodo fw add somthing to emsisoft? What seetings enable on comodo firewall to not overlap?

Aren't you the one who has been on about comboing EAM and CFW for over two years now ? You tried to do it on Windows 7 and couldn't get them to work together - consequently, you spent months on the Emsisoft support forum trying to get Emsisoft support to figure out how to make the combo work - which they refused to do for you.

Have you actually been able to install EAM and CFW and get them to work together side by side ?

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you run Comodo Firewall at CruelSister's foolproof settings, then you have default-deny protection. That's good stuff. It is stronger than what an AV suite will give you, even the beloved Emsisoft.
I am sure you know that antivirus detection is inherently imperfect (zero-days get by all the time), and also behavior blocking is hit-and-miss. It will block this process hollow, but fail to block that process hollow. Etc.....
So yes, CFW has something to offer on top of Emsisoft. Don't ask me how to configure them together, @Umbra is the guru.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
No, I desist to do that and use EIS in this time then i have problems whith EIS and windows 7 and i desist to use Emsi products. I spend a week asking emsisoft suport for a kb to make EIS works well on windows 7

Reactions: bribon77 and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No, I desist to do that and use EIS in this time then i have problems whith EIS and windows 7 and i desist to use Emsi products. I spend a week asking emsisoft suport for a kb to make EIS works well on windows 7
So just use CFW at cruelsister settings, with windows defender. That's all you need.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I currently use emisi and comodo FW.
Commodo hip and web filter off (setting of almost cruel sisters)
Unknown software will be sent to Sandbox and emisi will warn you of strange behavior of trusted software

Reactions: bribon77

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, I'm using Comodo Firewall with the Cs configuration)
And Emsisoft. No problems
Now, why do I use it? the configuration of Cs, acts as an Anti-Exe in addition to being a great Firewall. and Emsisoft. It is an antivirus.
that gives me 100% security
It's enough? Emsisoft. YES
CF is enough with the configuration of Cs. YES
You can use the two together. YES
with that configuration you will see less to CF act.
Now this is similar to the use of Kis and adds Voodooshield
Is not Kis enough? YES:)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
We believe that sandbox is a mitigation agent before infection. It is convenient when you can not respond quickly to harmful and innocuous judgment (quick push quiz etc.).
Also, compared to comodo's esoteric hip settings, the settings of emisi's Behavior Blocker are very well summarized;)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I stopped using CFW and I noticed all the issues I used to have with EAM and Windows 10 just disappeared. It sounds like a winning combination but it's not. Everything CFW is great at is already being done by EAM Behavior Blocker, it just doesn't scream about it 24/7. These 3rd party firewalls are useless at best. 99.9% of the things they block are harmless so you waste all your time whitelisting things. What's the point. Uninstall CFW and stop worrying about the CIA hacking you. They use zero day exploits anyway and you would never know.
;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think there is no point to use EAM and CF together because that's money wasting unless you get EAM for free
if you can handle CF, use it and pair it with a free AV
if you don't like CF due to too many popups, whitelisting job (like me), you can use EAM + windows firewall

CF+EAM does not take advantage of EAM's BB because BB likely to work outside the sandbox. If you don't manually allow anything to run outside the sandbox, BB will never do its job, just EAM's signatures work => money and resource wasting

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Leave only Emsisoft Anti-Malware working with the Windows firewall and you will already be totally safe, Comodo FW is totally unnecessary.
I beg to differ. "Totally safe" is a big claim to make about any AV. In fact, none of the AV companies make that claim about themselves.
EAM signatures are not going to detect all zero-days, and behavior blocking has never proven itself to be extremely reliable. It's good, but it's not a guarantee.

IMO, running Comodo at CruelSister settings will give stronger protection than running EAM, because default/deny is always stronger than default/allow. It's also a bigger pain in the neck, but that's a different story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.