Advice Request Just finished my trial, but have a few privacy concerns about Shadow Defender

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
Hi everyone! My trial for Shadow Defender had just ended and I wanna go ahead and purchase it but I have one concern - Shadow Defender seems to be based in China, and since the program is running on startup and cannot be closed even if Shadow Mode is off, I was wondering if the program doesn't do anything malicious like uploading your data to a remote server? Sending usage information? Anything like that?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
3490.png

my Shadow Defender does not call outbound connection
Shadow Defender Home Page - the easiest PC security and privacy tool

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Well, I would say there is quite a few senarios that a VM is 10000% better than testing on the host computer. However, there are many different situations where SD is good.

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
no it is not great for everything, you can't test any products that requires a reboot. You are vulnerable to keyloggers.
SD is great for the rest.
I guess being vulnerable to keyloggers is pretty obvious, but won't products that require a reboot work as long as the "Enter Shadow Mode on Boot" option is enabled?
Never tried it, just asking out of curiosity

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I guess being vulnerable to keyloggers is pretty obvious, but won't products that require a reboot work as long as the "Enter Shadow Mode on Boot" option is enabled?
Never tried it, just asking out of curiosity

If you select 'Enter Shadow Mode on boot' the volume will exit Shadow Mode automatically when OS reboot or shutdown. BUT when you log into windows next time, the volume will enter Shadow Mode automatically.

Shadow Defender Manual

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi everyone! My trial for Shadow Defender had just ended and I wanna go ahead and purchase it but I have one concern - Shadow Defender seems to be based in China, and since the program is running on startup and cannot be closed even if Shadow Mode is off, I was wondering if the program doesn't do anything malicious like uploading your data to a remote server? Sending usage information? Anything like that?
Hi @AgentPearce
"Shadow Defender seems to be based in China"...even "worst"...it's for sure from China, its author is known as "Tony" and perhaps if you would know the history of SD you would never install this app :) It's full of mysterious events and sudden twist of action:
- actually nobody knows Tony personaly
- years ago he have suddenly disappeared and after few years appears (suddenly also)
- there was some strange/suspicious persons who havet got some "info" from Tony but it couldn't be verified
- there was fake page of SD (shadowdefender.org) and fake/suspicious clone of it called Phantom Armor
But don't worry...while quite 8 years of expiriences with SD I can't say any bad word against. Of course it has specific limitations but its designed features...virtualisation and isolation...are on highest level.
As regards privacy of SD...I've never noticed strange/hidden outgoing connection.

Last edited:
E

Eddie Morra

- years ago he have suddenly disappeared and after few years appears (suddenly also)
If Shadow Defender is based in/the author lives in China, then it is very possible that he was silently detained by the Chinese government for X length of time.

Fan Bingbing specifically was secretly detained for a few weeks only until she was then released from the detention and had to confess to tax evasion; I believe she was also handed a fine for roughly the equivalent of $100m but I might be wrong.

There's cases of people being detained for well over a few weeks... in the months range or longer. It's in secrecy, so the people being detained may be thought of as having "mysteriously disappeared" during the period and no one else will know what happened to them until they are released from detainment.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
As I know Tony is personaly unknown and of course we can made a lot of theories and sophisticated explanations :) I didnt' hear about his "communist mafia" connotations but I remember info that he was the victim of big natural disaster (earthquake and flood) in China in the time when he was absent for us. Who know how was it in fact?

Reactions: dinosaur07
E

Eddie Morra

Could someone who uses Shadow Defender please send me a screenshot of the digital signature tab on file properties for one of/the Shadow Defender driver/s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.