Justin2223 Config

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
No need for a 3rd party firewall with Windows 7. Also you have overlapping security. Avast has a web shield therefore you do not need Panda URL filtering. Uninstall Panda and use a secure DNS such as OpenDNS or NortonDNS.

Justin2223

Thread author
Sep 7, 2012
I prefer to use comodo for the Defense+ and I just like the tweaking ability (I like my security programs to work just the way I want them)
And I thought that avast/panda url filter play well togeather? :s

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Why would you need a URL filter when Avast has one? You dont. Panda URL filtering and AVG makes since. Either way you have overlapping security. Windows 7 firewall can also be tweaked. It can provide the same protection as Comodo. But worrying about outbound protection isn't as nessary as an inbound firewall such as a router.

P

Plexx

avast Webshield had an issue with windows 7 firewall and I doubt it was fixed. Some one correct me if I am wrong.
There was also issues between avast Webshield and Comodo Firewall.

Perhaps another user here or HeffeD could give more info on the avast issue with Comodo.

What do you use your system mainly for? Reason I am asking is because your security risk is displayed as Medium.

@Aventador: just because the user is running Comodo Firewall does not make it a bad choice since the user also has Defense + enabled. I use Windows 7 firewall instead of Comodo due to my gaming needs only.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I hear the echo coming,

McLovin: Have you got any backup options?

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
This is a place where people post there config and get opinions. A web shield and Comodo are completely and entirely different components. Avast's sandbox and Comodo's sandbox could conflict. Also Avast has a behavior blocker which could potentionally interfere with D+. Been using Avast and Windows 7 for awhile and never an issue as well as hundreds of clients. With the advancements which were incorporated into Windows 7 firewall the need for any 3rd party firewall is not nessary therefore making your system lighter and fewer processes.

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
This is a place where people post there config and get opinions. A web shield and Comodo are completely and entirely different components. Avast's sandbox and Comodo's sandbox could conflict. Also Avast has a behavior blocker which could potentionally interfere with D+. Been using Avast and Windows 7 for awhile and never an issue as well as hundreds of clients. With the advancements which were incorporated into Windows 7 firewall the need for any 3rd party firewall is not nessary therefore making your system lighter and fewer processes.

Not sure if you took the time to read it properly.

There has been known issues between avast! webshield and Comodo Firewall, as well as Windows 7 Firewall and if not mistaken PrivateFirewall...

P

Plexx

Aventador said:
Links to these conflicts?

Do yourself a favor and search in the avast and comodo forum for starters. Otherwise it will just make you look ridiculous.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Sorry won't do that. Info posted should be provided with up up date links to bsck up your claims. I posted a link to ZOU's Threatfire upgrade problem. Does an attorney present his case without evidence? If you have links it would be helpful to the user to read them. I myself used Avast 7 and Comodo Firewalll with no issues. Just add exclusions into Avast.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll need to sift through these, and check the dates.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93953.0 (Avast 7 and Comodo Firewall)
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=102701.0 (Avast affects WF Rule)
http://forums.comodo.com/firewall-help-cis/comodo-firewall-and-avast-7-t82382.0.html (Comodo Firewall and Avast 7)

Else;
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=avast+and+comodo+conflict

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
Thanks Earth but both links have not had any replies since August. So most likely the issue has been resolved. I myself never experienced it. I also install Avast on any client looking for a free av. Approx 200 Avast installs on Win 7 with never an issue or call. A couple of issues don't account for the millions of issue free users. Just cause 1 out of every 100,000 Impala's produced is faulty doesn't mean the entire product line is no good.

Justin2223

Thread author
Sep 7, 2012
I myself have never had any conflicts between avast 7 and comodo firewall, atleast no conflicts that I have noticed. Im mainly worried about the possible conflicts between Panda Url filter and avast! webshield. I have used Norton Dns before and when I did it didnt really block much (in testing) while Panda Url filter blocked much more (7/10) links, so I have it to fill in the Holes that avast would miss

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you keep your OS and all third-party software up-to-date, there's less chance of getting infected from an infected website.

Remember you also use Chrome, it's Phishing and malware protection is also very good at warning you beforehand.

If you're worried about any conflicts, then I suggest removing Panda URL Filtering, although I see no harm in using it if you don't use Avast's Web Shield. Again no solution is 100% perfect at preventing all links you may test.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Aventador said:
Thanks Earth but both links have not had any replies since August. So most likely the issue has been resolved. I myself never experienced it. I also install Avast on any client looking for a free av. Approx 200 Avast installs on Win 7 with never an issue or call. A couple of issues don't account for the millions of issue free users. Just cause 1 out of every 100,000 Impala's produced is faulty doesn't mean the entire product line is no good.

More likely they just didn't realize there was a problem. Unless they were savvy enough to realize that while using the web filter on Avast 7 in Windows 7, that the the Comodo firewall, Windows firewall, and Private Firewall, (I don't know how many others) are unable to properly filter outgoing requests.

For what it's worth, when Avast users started asking how come the Windows firewall isn't working properly with the web filter enabled, Avast decided they need to change the way they were using their proxy connection. HELP!!! AVAST AFFECTS WINDOWS FIREWALL RULE!!

The Comodo firewall for Windows 8 is supposed to remedy this with the current Avast 7 web filter.

Aventador

Sep 5, 2012
The problem is Panda URL filter runs in real time. A DNS does not. Therefore no conflicts.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.