Encryption: Gpg4win, DnsCrypt
System recovery
Macrium Reflect

K Atari

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
Hey guys. I am usually a Linux user, but Linux has its downsides specifically gaming.This is my simple and efficient configuration for my gaming/entertainment comp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Hello! Welcome to MT! :)

Nice and solid config! ;) If you start to feel uncomforty with Windows Defender, just install Avast! Free and you'll be ready to go :) (no other special reason for Avast than my love for it)
Thanks for sharing it with us! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello, K Atari. I commend you on your extensions they're few but mighty!:D
As you are certainly one whom does not appear annoyed by alerts, gorhill's HTTP Switchboard support states:
"Important: No longer developed. Project has been split into two distinct, more advanced extensions:µBlock and µMatrix."
umatrix appears very similar, and feels likewise, but it's development remains current.;)

Like yourself, I also use Cyberfox x64; and among my core add-ons incorporate NoScript to block java script. Download it directly from the developer:
An additional layer of protection when piloting the good ship Windows 8.1 through treacherous internet waters is to sandbox your browsers using the amazing free app Sandboxie.
Thank you for sharing your configuration, and also letting us share with you!:)

PS o_OThere's more...

For Privacy in Opera,
go to settings.
Under Privacy & Security,
  1. Scroll down to Cookies
  2. Mark the circle "Keep local date only until quiting browser."
  3. Check mark the box "Block third party cookies & site data."
In Cyberfox,
Open Menu (button w/3 lines), and go to Options.
Under Security, unless you have already done this,
  • Uncheck both boxes for password management.
Under Privacy,
  1. Uncheck the box "Allow Geolocation"
  2. Choose "Never remember history"
  3. Choose either "Tell sites nothing..." or "Tell sites I do not want to be tracked".:cool: Do not choose "I want to be tracked":confused:
*Optional: browse using "New Private Window".

Last edited:

K Atari

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
@Sven thanks for the warm welcome. I will try Avast tonight.

@Cats-4_Owners-2 Yes, I heard about umatrix. I was always kinda lazy to not install it even though its only a few clicks away. :rolleyes: Now, I finally replaced switchboard. Cool to see another Cyberfox user. Thanks for the advice.

@jamescv7 Glasswire looks interesting. It also looks pretty new. Are there any major bugs still being reported?

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@Dr. Tenma Yea, windows defender may not be that great, but it is non-intrusive and has no false positives. I have been testing out Avast Free for a couple weeks though.
Hello @K Atari. When first I'd emerged out from the desert :rolleyes:(speaking figuratively) of unforgiving badlands to come upon the healing springs maintained by the wise oracles of MalwareTips, I was then advised that Windows Defender & Windows Firewall would provide enough protection.o_O I couldn't agree more!:)
Curiously, I now use Avast! which has served us well on our Windows 8.1 system too.:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.