Kaspersky 2016 on Windows 10 - the most unfinished release yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Since both are officially released now I decided to take a "look" at the new Kaspersky 2016 but before installing it I took a peek on the newly released manual for Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 because I wanted to know about any limitations of it on the Windows 10 platform and oh boy this is amazing...
http://media.kaspersky.com/usa/documentation/kis2016_userguide_en.pdf
The real deal begins on page 112:
Kaspersky Internet Security limitations under Microsoft Windows 10 The following functionality is partly limited in the application installed on the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system:
  • Self-Defense. Self-Defense of the application GUI does not work even when it is enabled.
  • System Watcher.
  • Protection against cryptors and screen lockers. The application can detect only the most basic varieties of cryptors and screen lockers.
  • Malware disinfection in the system memory.
  • Protection against screenshots.
  • Clipboard data protection.
  • Protection of the Protected Browser process against external attacks.

Limitations on the operation of Application Control under Microsoft Windows 10:
  • Custom application rules do not work.
  • Application categorization in the new Windows user interface style is performed incorrectly.
  • The Application Control component does not support the following operations and functions:
  • Hooks installation
  • Taking screenshots
  • Sending windows messages to other processes
  • Suspicious operations
  • Hooking incoming messages of the stream
  • Direct access to physical memory
  • Setting debug privileges
  • Access to password storage
  • Managing printer driver
  • Using program interfaces of other processes
  • Access to internal browser data
  • Access to critical objects of the operating system
  • Using program interfaces of the operating system (DNS)
  • Creating service
  • Opening service for read
  • Opening service for write
  • Modifying service configuration
  • Managing service
  • Starting service
  • Deleting service
  • Saving registry keys to file
  • Access to audio stream
  • Changing system modules (KnownDlls)
The following actions by Application Control are limited:
  • Starting driver: loading of drivers is not blocked; only a notification about a driver that has been loaded may be shown.
  • Pausing other processes and threads: only threads with suspend rights are intercepted under Microsoft Windows 10 (x86); opening of the process is additionally controlled under Microsoft Windows (x64).
  • Code intrusions: only threads with inject rights are intercepted under Microsoft Windows 10 (x86); opening of the process is additionally controlled under Microsoft Windows 10 (x64).
  • Duplicate internal process handle: copying of handles is controlled for processes and threads only.
  • Stopping other processes: controlled only at the level of opening of process handles and threads with terminate rights.
  • Exiting Microsoft Windows 10: only shutdown.exe launch is controlled – other mechanisms of exiting the operating system are not controlled.
The limitations of Kaspersky on Windows 8 x64 were already pretty long but this time it's like going back to KAV version 6, everything that differentiates Kaspersky from other security software is either extremely limited on Windows 10 or not even working... I understand that they always use the most stable and Microsoft compliant way and that a lot of these limitations are based on the design of x64 but I mean cmon, that's the biggest step backwards I've ever seen... at least give us some information if you are working at it or if you are just gonna ignore it and won't do anything about it.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I have W 8.1 PROx64 and KAV 2015 installed. This how i feel right nowo_O:mad::confused::mad::cool:o_O:mad::eek::p ans so on....

Reactions: frogboy

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Info posted yesterday for one of the Global Moderators in Kaspersky forum:

Soon, both new version 2016 and Windows 10 shall be officially released to the General Public.

New version 2016 will have some limitations under Windows 10, but only for a few weeks, until updates and/or patches are supplied for the new version 2016. Basic protection will still be functional during these first few weeks while the updates and/or autopatches are pending_

Because Windows 10 and new version 2016 are still not officially released to the general public, this topic thread remains closed.

When the time is right, current, correct and official information and instructions shall be boldly posted in this forum.

Stay tuned!
smile.gif

I guess soon will come a new patch and/or new build MR1 which will remove of course the limitations.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I have W 8.1 PROx64 and KAV 2015 installed. This how i feel right nowo_O:mad::confused::mad::cool:o_O:mad::eek::p ans so on....
The limitations on Windows 8 with Kaspersky 2015 were okayish, not nearly as long as the 2016 in Windows 10, at least the custom application rules were working... this time it seems like they just wanted to throw out the new version with Windows 10 and not trying to improve on it. Most of these limitations don't matter for the average user but for power users it's a huge step backwards.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
"Few weeks" is too long! Anyway, I'll still go for KIS 2016 after I upgrage to Windows 10 very soon. I have AppGuard, in case KIS can't protect my system well yet.

Edit: I just realized that AppGuard isn't fully compatible with Windows 10 yet. I'm screwed! :eek:

Reactions: tonibalas and Enju

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Info posted yesterday for one of the Global Moderators in Kaspersky forum:

Soon, both new version 2016 and Windows 10 shall be officially released to the General Public.

New version 2016 will have some limitations under Windows 10, but only for a few weeks, until updates and/or patches are supplied for the new version 2016. Basic protection will still be functional during these first few weeks while the updates and/or autopatches are pending_

Because Windows 10 and new version 2016 are still not officially released to the general public, this topic thread remains closed.

When the time is right, current, correct and official information and instructions shall be boldly posted in this forum.

Stay tuned!
smile.gif

I guess soon will come a new patch and/or new build MR1 which will remove of course the limitations.
Thanks for posting! They could at least have told it on their homepage and/or the readme. Time for waiting then... again. :rolleyes:

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
"Few weeks" is too long! Anyway, I'll still go for KIS 2016 after I upgrage to Windows 10 very soon. I have AppGuard, in case KIS can't protect my system well yet.
You could also use trusted applications mode instead of Appguard, works basically the same way. :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I think many security applications and others general purpose applications will have some limitations in W10 at first :) so no "panic mode" here :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@Enju thank you for your answer.
I want to ask you something should i upgrade to KAV 2016 and then install W 10 or the opposite?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
You could also use trusted applications mode instead of Appguard, works basically the same way. :)

TAM is hassle for me when I'm installing or using not-so well known applications. It blocks them, which is great, but the blocked applications will have Untrusted settings. So, if I want to allow an unknown application, I still have to go to various screens just to allow them fully. :D

Reactions: Maxxx58 and Enju

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I think many security applications and others general purpose applications will have some limitations in W10 at first :) so no "panic mode" here :)
Well there is no need for panic with TAM enabled, it's just sad that Kaspersky only communicates with their Russian userbase and not the international one. Not everybody is going to read a over 100 pages long manual... :p
@Enju thank you for your answer.
I want to ask you something should i upgrade to KAV 2016 and then install W 10 or the opposite?
I would just upgrade to Windows 10 and then refresh the system, a fresh system is always better than a upgraded system imo.
TAM is hassle for me when I'm installing or using not-so well known applications. It blocks them, which is great, but the blocked applications will have Untrusted settings. So, if I want to allow an unknown application, I still have to go to various screens just to allow them fully. :D
Have you tried using the automatic group settings? Most of the time stuff gets put into the restricted group and runs just fine.

Reactions: tonibalas

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Have you tried using the automatic group settings? Most of the time stuff gets put into the restricted group and runs just fine.
Yes, Application Control is set to automatically group the programs. But, there are really times when it sets them to Untrusted when run. They are safe, as I have scanned them using KIS's own scanner and ZAM. They are just so unknown to Kaspersky, that's why maybe its heuristics kicks in. :D

Reactions: Enju

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Well this explains a few things. Being a heavy power user for everything on my computer (especially security software - you'll always see me complaining about lack of options and control lol), this is more than a slight disappointment for me. I might use something else until this is fixed. Still on Windows 7 so I won't do any deciding yet.

Reactions: Enju and tonibalas

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Kaspersky is only being transparent about those limitations ("They" always were), you would be surprised by how many security vendors omit these "things".

This user manual was made in 20/06/2015, in this date Windows 10 wasnt RTM so many things could go wrong with the final interaction, because of this Kaspersky's devs were conservative.

Expect these changes in MR1 and MR2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxxx58

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I installed Kaspersky on the Win 10 upgrade, and it totally destroyed my OS. The system was not booting up at all with consistent blue screen errors. I somehow managed to boot to desktop in the end and did an uninstall of KIS to get rid of all that BSOD mess.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Kaspersky is only being transparent about those limitations ("They" always were), you would be surprised by how many security vendors omit these "things".

This user manual was made in 20/06/2015, in this date Windows 10 wasnt RTM so many things could go wrong with the final interaction, because of this Kaspersky's devs were conservative.

Expect these changes in MR1 and MR2.
I have been using Kaspersky for over 8 years so I'm used to it, but hiding it on page 112 and not notifying anyone on their forums (at least the english speaking ones) of any restrictions is a bad move, they did it for 14 and 15 too then why not for 16?

Reactions: OokamiCreed

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Mine is working perfectly, the only problem is Kaspersky, Microsoft etc., can only test a certain amount, what works on mine doesn't work on yours, we all have different software, drivers installed and the combinations are huge, and impossible it test. So, we get patches on 2nd September 2015.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Mine is working perfectly, the only problem is Kaspersky, Microsoft etc., can only test a certain amount, what works on mine doesn't work on yours, we all have different software, drivers installed and the combinations are huge, and impossible it test. So, we get patches on 2nd September 2015.
Have you even read the opening post? Those are the official limitations of Kaspersky on Windows 10, directly copy and pasted from their user manual. It's not like Kaspersky doesn't work on Windows 10, it just isn't anywhere near finished on it and a lot of features are missing.

Reactions: Maxxx58
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.