Not open for further replies.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
With respect to the Free Antivirus of the Year 2017 competition, we've a thread series where users of the various products will be joining together to state the Pro's and Con's of each antivirus software and why they think it was a contender or not for the Free Antivirus of the Year 2017.

In this thread we'll talk about the Pro's and Con's you have found about Kaspersky Free Antivirus. It achieved the Second Spot in the Poll conducted recently.

The first post will be updated by me [or the mods] with what user's think is good and bad about the product, so an informed decision can be made for newcomers.

Related Threads:
Avast Free Antivirus - Pro's & Con's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE PRO'S
THE CON'S

Tibro

Level 1
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Hello,

I'm really like kaspersky products, but sometimes get me angry :D
So what you ask:

Pro:
- Light on system (yes in fact it is)
- Good signatures
- Really good Cloud
- Good virus removal ability
- Good web protect

Cons:
- No behavior block (but has heuristic)
- Ads sometimes
- Good alternative of Windows Defender but not paid or other free AV.
- Protection is good enough just for advanced users only i think.

Last edited:

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
All Pano said plus clean GUI, some bonus security and useful features like port scanning and the last one is Disinfection Technology(dr.web also have but others don't) your av is useless against some malware like NESHTA.A while Kaspersky can get back your files :D

Last edited:

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
CONS: No System Watcher(Because It's a free version)
PROS: Great Signatures(Not Delayed), Great Cloud detection system, Beautiful UI look, No ADS, It has an Advanced Disinfection Technology, Light on decent systems
That's all, I think :)

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
PROS: 0-hour protection = Kaspersky Security Network (KSN).
If one computer is infected (when using KSN) then in most cases after some minutes all the rest are protected.
This feature is not turned on in default settings and requires the user consent (additional telemetry).

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I found that Kaspersky free had compatibility issues with certain software, just like KIS did.
For instance, Dropbox desktop. With Dropbox, the issue is solvable by making exclusions, but not all compatibility issues are so simple.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think Pano almost said everything I wanted to say
I just add

Pros:
- although it's free but it's still very customizable for a little bit better protection or better performance depend on our taste.
- The exclusion settings are extremely good that we can exclude something from a specific module or all modules, which is lacking in many other top AVs
- the reports are really detail and clear which make diagnosis for threats or bugs much easier especially for more advanced users

Cons:
- extremely slow scanning speed ~ more thorough but more waiting time (n) -> with the same amount of time, we can finish the scans of ZAM, HMP & NPE
- impacts copying speed more than other AVs (still better than Windows Defender)
- some certificate problems with some browsers (firefox) -> can be fixed

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
First time experience with Kaspersky Free Antivirus on Windows 10. The Pro's have been mentioned above such as "it's great" without a reason, so you'll have to take their word on it.

However, I found it to be a slight disappointment that Kaspersky would think it is OK to silently install another free Kaspersky product, without clear user consent.
It's not all bad news as it can be uninstalled without affecting Kaskersky Free Antivirus.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Summing up the points above:

THE PRO'S:
  • Light on system
  • Clean GUI
  • Good signatures
  • Really good cloud feature
  • Strong virus removal abillity
  • Web protection
  • Port scaninng
  • Disinfection technology
  • 0 hour protection (KSN) - requires user consent
  • Customizable for better protection/performance
  • Very good exclusion settings to exclude from specific module/all modules
  • Clear & detailed reports making diagnosis easier for threats & bugs

THE CONS:
  • No behavioural blocking- system watcher (but has heuristics)
  • Extremely slow scanning speed (but thorough)
  • Impacts copying speed more than other antiviruses (better than WD)
  • Certificate problems with Firefox (can be fixed)
  • Compatibility issues (eg.Dropbox desktop) - can be solved by exclusion
  • Installs Kaspersky Secure Connection without clear user consent
  • Ads sometimes
  • Good alternative to WD but not some free ones
  • Protection mostly good for advanced users

Allena

Level 1
Feb 8, 2018
Pros:
Defends against viruses, ransomware & more
Lets your PC perform… as it’s meant to
Simplifies security – with online control
As part of its safe banking tools, Kaspersky Anti-Virus has an on-screen keyboard.

Cons: In some third-party tests, this program taxed computer resources, which created lag

Richard Bell

May 15, 2018
With respect to the Free Antivirus of the Year 2017 competition, we've a thread series where users of the various products will be joining together to state the Pro's and Con's of each antivirus software and why they think it was a contender or not for the Free Antivirus of the Year 2017.

In this thread we'll talk about the Pro's and Con's you have found about Kaspersky Free Antivirus. It achieved the Second Spot in the Poll conducted recently.

The first post will be updated by me [or the mods] with what user's think is good and bad about the product, so an informed decision can be made for newcomers.