Advice Request Kaspersky Free updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Hi all,

Just wondering if Kaspersky free updates it's program automatically, I seem to be stuck on 18.0.0.405(i) when there are newer versions of 19.xx out there.

I have checked the "Download and install new versions automatically" setting in New application versions in the settings.

Also I have been having trouble installing Kaspersky products through normal installers and would usually use the offline installers, but I think they have not updated the page to include the new installers yet.

Thanks a lot!

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Use the kavremover to uninstall your current KFA then download the latest version here

The normal version of the installer doesn't work well for me, I'd usually installer it with the offline installer

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
Any error messages? btw You can download the offline installer here but you need to download them one by one though.

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Was that an online installer, if yes then you should've continuously clicked the retry button until it downloads all the installation files (based on my experience because I also encountered the same issue)

that was the normal installer, once I had the offline installer everything went as planned!

Thank you again for the offline installer download, I used jdownloader to rip everything from the site all at once and have the full file. I am going to installer it and update the results here.

Reactions: Allego

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The default (and minimum) update signatures schedule is currently every 2 hours in all of Kaspersky Home products...

How to diagnose update issues in Kaspersky Lab products

If You are in a laptops, go to Settings -> Performance -> and untick -> Disable scheduled tasks while running on battery power.

KAVREMOVER should be only used in case You have troubles uninstalling the product with the default integrated uninstaller in Windows Control Panel -> Programs and features.

Allego

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2016
because I believe it removes K products better than its built-in uninstaller. Maybe I'm wrong.

L

Local Host

Being honest here, forcing the Update while also being forced to use the OFFLINE installer is hardly a fix for this topic.
You clearly have problems connecting to the KASPERSKY servers, which won't be solved by what you did unless you looking to manually Update every time (through OFFLINE installers on top).
I'll say you may have conflicting Software and/or Settings which are messing with your connection to their servers, or even Malware blocking it (all this pure speculation without evidence though, needs to be looked further).
If you are in USA your ISP may be blocking it on purpose, cause we all know what USA thinks of KASPERSKY and how their ISPs work.

Reactions: harlan4096

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Yes because last time I used it to remove KFA to install KSCF.
The default (and minimum) update signatures schedule is currently every 2 hours in all of Kaspersky Home products...

How to diagnose update issues in Kaspersky Lab products

If You are in a laptops, go to Settings -> Performance -> and untick -> Disable scheduled tasks while running on battery power.

KAVREMOVER should be only used in case You have troubles uninstalling the product with the default integrated uninstaller in Windows Control Panel -> Programs and features.
why not using control panel? btw my system restore looks good.

I didn't have to remove the previous version of Kaspersky on my system only needed to install the updated version on top of it! Worked like a charm, thank you all for your help!

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Being honest here, forcing the Update while also being forced to use the OFFLINE installer is hardly a fix for this topic.
You clearly have problems connecting to the KASPERSKY servers, which won't be solved by what you did unless you looking to manually Update every time (through OFFLINE installers on top).
I'll say you may have conflicting Software and/or Settings which are messing with your connection to their servers, or even Malware blocking it (all this pure speculation without evidence though, needs to be looked further).
If you are in USA your ISP may be blocking it on purpose, cause we all know what USA thinks of KASPERSKY and how their ISPs work.

I don't have any issues contacting Kaspersky's servers as shown by database updates going through perfectly fine, I only face the issue when installing it through their normal installers, which was also a past experience and because of the past experience I wanted to go straight to using offline installers rather than having to try their normal installers again and having the risk of running into issues again.

I am unsure of what was causing kaspersky to not update their program on my previous install or maybe kaspersky hasn't rolled it out worldwide yet, but doing a manual install seemed to have fixed that and I have the latest version now.

Since Kaspersky's GUI does not have a "check for updates now" for their program version, only a "Download and install new versions automatically" setting in New application versions in the settings, I was also unable to force a check on Kaspersky's server to see if there were any errors.

Lastly I am residing outside of the US, and I know my country does not have a strong stance on Kaspersky products so they would have no issues with their servers whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.