Advice Request Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
1) Is my settings good enough? I want good protection settings without performance compromise my 4th gen Haswell gaming rig
  1. General Protection tab: Untick Perform recommended actions automatically
  2. Protection tab: Disable Software Updater
  3. File antivirus: Scan Mode = On access and modification. Action on threat detection = prompt on detection. Heuristic Analysis = Light scan. Scan technologies = ISwift + IChecker. Scan Optimization = ticked. File types = Files scanned by format.
  4. Web antivirus: Security level = high. Action on threat detection = prompt on detection. URL Advisor = On all websites except those specificied
  5. Application Control: Untick trust digitally signed applications. Trust group for unknown application = untrusted. Trust group for applications started before startup of KIS = High restricted
  6. Webcam protection: block access to webcam for all apps
  7. Firewall: All 5 boxes ticked
  8. Private Browsing: Block Data collection and block tracking ticked
  9. Application Manager: Tick two boxes under Installation Assistant
  10. Performance tab: Use Gaming Mode, Release resources to the OS, Prevent infection during OS restart, Postpone PC scans when CPU and disk on high load
  11. Scan tab: Security level = high.
  12. Additional tab > Threats and exclusions settings: Check Detect software and advanced disinfection
  13. Network tab: Monitored ports = monitor all network ports
  14. Appearance tab: Do not use smooth transition between windows
  15. KSN: Enable

2) Regarding to the scan mode in File Antivirus. Can someone explain to me what is Smart Mode, On access and modification, On access, and On execution? Will any of these going to low my protection?

3) Should I tick scan archives and scan installation in File antivirus under Scan of compound files? Will it slow down my PC performance?

Thanks a lot guys. :):oops:

Last edited:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Are you hiding from a nation state? :D

Your setup is too paranoid for my taste. It looks like you will run into many issues because it is too hard for applications to get something done. You are punishing all the good applications for no reason. The default settings will detect everything you will ever come across. Having so many settings at high is a waste of CPU and disk I/O and remember your AV is operating at their expense, now you risk hardware health for software health. Personally I believe hardware health > software health. But if you don't mind that go for it. I don't understand why you would untrust digitally signed applications, again the CIA is not after you. I see people at MalwareTips do this for other AVs and Comodo Firewall and it's pure tinfoil hat. 99.9% of malware is unsigned you will most likely never come across signed malware in your entire life. Remember you also have brain.exe you don't have to set your AV to max like that for 99.9999% of all malware out there. System Watcher and the rest of Kaspersky will detect anything unknown and phony and notify you to make a decision anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.