Advice Request Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 - Extreme Configuration

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 77207
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
Hello friends,

I'm sharing my configuration for Kaspersky Internet Security. I have tried to make the system as secure as possible. Please share your feedback on my configuration.

1. General Settings:

It will perform all the actions automatically without disturbing/user interactions. Password protected to ensure nobody makes modifications to the configuration.

1586065094083.png
  2. Protection Settings:

I have enabled all modules except Anti-Banner and Safe Money. I have not posted screenshots of all the settings as some are self-explanatory and some do not require any fine-tuning. I have covered all the important settings.
    • File Antivirus Settings:

1586067068688.png

1586067114527.png

1586067093370.png

• Web Antivirus Settings:

1586067243316.png

1586067268077.png

1586067275890.png

• Application Control Settings:

1586067314550.png

• Firewall Settings:

I do not allow trusted application group to access web cam & sound recording devices due to fear of RAT/privacy. They also cannot shut down my system. None of the applications have access to Network by default. I individually select the applications which can access internet. This setting may not go well with most users and will require manual actions every now and then. I am fine with it as I do not install any new applications on regular basis. Recommended only for power users.

1586067410676.png

1586067880118.png

1586067773692.png

1586067861959.png

• Private Browsing Settings:

1586067991981.png

• System Watcher Settings:

1586068064297.png
  3. Performance Settings:

My performance configuration may not go well with Laptop users, slow devices or Gamers. Please select as per your device and usage.

1586065346433.png

4. Scan Settings:

Configured to disinfect or delete. All devices will be scanned. Scope of all the scans extended.

1586065492579.png
    • Full Scan Settings:

1586065629191.png

1586065671703.png

1586065693196.png

• Quick Scan Settings:

1586065799476.png

1586065871536.png

1586065900743.png

• Selective Scan Settings:

1586065962253.png

1586065981554.png

• Additional Settings:

KSN is very important right now. We have to keep the privacy concern aside and make use of the application reputation built from the data of so many Kaspersky users. The self-Defense module will try to block malware from terminating Kaspersky.

1586066341014.png

1586066363333.png

1586066394881.png

• Trusted Application Mode:

I am using the Trusted Application Mode (TAM) to prevent non-trusted applications from running in the system. It makes your PC very secure from the threats. I have heard TAM will be dropped in the next version of Kaspersky. No worries. I have fine-tuned the Application Control in Kaspersky which is as good as running without TAM.

1586066656261.png

Attachments

• 1586065027863.png
    1586065027863.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
I am very impressed by Kaspersky. It is my 4th year with Kaspersky Internet Security. Latest version with the above settings uses less than 100 MB with 1% CPU usage when idle or browsing. Memory usages goes to around 250MB with 20% CPU usage when doing full scan. I do have a fast system though. i7 with hyper threading+virtualization enabled. 16 GB RAM with SSD.

I am also using Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with 2 other Windows System. It performs well there too.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I share many of Your tweaks, but here are some of my suggestions:

* In FileAV, I would keep still Light in Heuristic Analysis (default), since Deep Scan will slowdown the system, and also the Scan Mode -> On Access and Modification ( -> Smart Mode)

* The same goes to WebAV -> Security Level to High will slowdown surfing probably in medium or complex sites.

* Performance I would disable Scan Idle Scans...

* In Quick Scan -> Advanced Settings: I would tick: Scan Archives + Installation Packages. I never perform Full Scans, only shcduled Quick Scan adding some specific risky system folders in the Scope.

* TAM has been removed in upcoming K2021... so go saying goodbye :)

It's interesting Your approach in Auto Mode + FireWall settings (Default Deny), not so common indeed :) but I use Interactive Mode (I like warnings) + similar tweaks in Application Control + Protected Folders (implemented via Application Folder -> Manage Resources).

Soon I will post a new guide with a different approach modifying default rules of Low Restriction group to harden it, and other additional tweaks.

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
I share many of Your tweaks, but here are some of my suggestions:

* In FileAV, I would keep still Light in Heuristic Analysis (default), since Deep Scan will slowdown the system, and also the Scan Mode -> On Access and Modification ( -> Smart Mode)

* The same goes to WebAV -> Security Level to High will slowdown surfing probably in medium or complex sites.

* Performance I would disable Scan Idle Scans...

* In Quick Scan -> Advanced Settings: I would tick: Scan Archives + Installation Packages. I never perform Full Scans, only shcduled Quick Scan adding some specific risky system folders in the Scope.

* TAM has been removed in upcoming K2021... so go saying goodbye :)

It's interesting Your approach in Auto Mode + FireWall settings (Default Deny), not so common indeed :) but I use Interactive Mode (I like warnings) + similar tweaks in Application Control + Protected Folders (implemented via Application Folder -> Manage Resources).

Soon I will post a new guide with a different approach modifying default rules of Low Restriction group to harden it, and other additional tweaks.

I will look into your suggestions and implement it. Thank you! Can you tell me what folders should be protected through Manage Resources? + which system folders should I add in the Quick Scan Scope?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
First of all, You should kindly edit Your previous post and use forum spoilers for a better reading, also You may also use thumbnails instead of insert the full picture...

About Your questions:

* In Quick Scan, my scope:

1586079912853.png

* About Protected Folders, since You are not In Interactive, You should set/change Your own rights because Prompts rights are ignored in Auto Mode:

1586080058999.png

You can use You own folders there, I use that where I have my User data profile folders...

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks since i have been home for two weeks i tried a few and found major problems with trend micro and gdata so went back to kaspersky
and must say very happy for now but i must say the support i got from them is the best. thank you for your time and explaining how to to all of you on this subject

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
First of all, You should kindly edit Your previous post and use forum spoilers for a better reading, also You may also use thumbnails instead of insert the full picture...

About Your questions:

* In Quick Scan, my scope:

View attachment 236288

* About Protected Folders, since You are not In Interactive, You should set/change Your own rights because Prompts rights are ignored in Auto Mode:

View attachment 236289

You can use You own folders there, I use that where I have my User data profile folders...

Thank you. I have made the necessary modifications as per your suggestions. I am not able to edit the first post to simplify and structure it. Can you help me edit the first post? If possible remove all the images in the first post and replace with one single link. Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

I have added all the settings in Notion for reference. Check it out.

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
Nice guide! But I guess... RIP performance?

Haven't noticed any slow down with the current setup on the contrary. Will trim down & report back here in case of any slow down. Been monitoring the system constantly. Didn't noticed any spike in CPU usage or memory usage while idle / browsing with many tabs open. Computer only spike when scan is running but that is manageable too. It return backs to normal once the KIS scan is over.

F

ForgottenSeer 77207

Thread author
There is one last thing I need help with. I have enabled Windows Sandbox feature. After enabling it I am getting an error message that hardware virtualization feature of Kaspersky is incompatible. For what Kaspersky uses hardware virtualization?

I do not use the Safe Money and Protected Browser feature of Kaspersky. If that's all it is being used for then I can disable it.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, this is usual, because Windows Sandbox (need to turn on Microsoft HyperV) and Kaspersky also uses its own hypervisor, those 2 hypervisors can't run at the same time in the system...

Check section: Possible reasons why the protection through hardware virtualization does not work

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, this is usual, because Windows Sandbox (need to turn on Microsoft HyperV) and Kaspersky also uses its own hypervisor, those 2 hypervisors can't run at the same time in the system...

Check section: Possible reasons why the protection through hardware virtualization does not work

Hyper-V in Win 10 Pro is disabled by default. Must I disable Kaspersky's hardware virtualization too in order to run VirtualBox?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.