App Review Kaspersky Internet Security - System Watcher only, no KSN - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky's System Watch automatically blocked harmful objects without user interaction. Sometimes, Advanced Disinfection showed up and prompted to perform a scan. I should have disabled this feature but it didn't affect the result of the test

Kaspersky suspended the processes to analyze and then blocked them. This is great

Sorry for the long video. Kaspersky's analyzing speed was slow and there was not many bypasses so I tried to execute as many as I could to find more bypasses

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
During "Advanced Disinfection Analysis" no execution are allowed and all , that's why You couldn't run extra samples :)
I didn't know that. Thank you for the head up :)
I thought spora blocked me from executing other programs. After a reboot, everything was working so I thought KIS blocked spora and allowed me to continue

by the way, do you know about the fate of the anti-ransomware tool for business? According to the forum, the beta period is over. Somebody asked but there was no answer. According to my previous test, it performed so badly. System watcher didn't work as good as KIS

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Would the results of this test be the same for KAV as it was for KIS?
yes, it will be exactly the same because system watcher is also present in KAV

However, if I enable Application control (not present in KAV) and do some tweaks the result will be different. No ransomware can encrypt files, in theory

K

KGBagent47

yes, it will be exactly the same because system watcher is also present in KAV

However, if I enable Application control (not present in KAV) and do some tweaks the result will be different. No ransomware can encrypt files, in theory

The personal appeal of KAV for me is the surprisingly small amount of resources it uses. (I suspect KIS uses more)
And from watching these videos my opinion is system watcher is an adequate amount of zero day protection for me.

Thanks for the video reviews!

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
The personal appeal of KAV for me is the surprisingly small amount of resources it uses. (I suspect KIS uses more)
And from watching these videos my opinion is system watcher is an adequate amount of zero day protection for me.

Thanks for the videos reviews!
nothing can be assured. Perhaps Kaspersky studied common behaviors of those ransomwares so their products can block it. If there is a new pattern of attack, they may not block it. This is ransomware test only, we still have many different types of malwares.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016

Not in theory, in reality as well. I have tested Kaspersky HIPS (Application Control) with some tweaks for file extension protection & it performed very well.

Kaspersky has a very good HIPS & BB, it is just too tedious to setup all the tweaks, but once you do (i did), no other protection is needed except for some on-demand scanners for adwares & pup's.

Thanks for this great video. Keep up the good work, Rainsomeware.... :D ;)

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
nothing can be assured. Perhaps Kaspersky studied common behaviors of those ransomwares so their products can block it. If there is a new pattern of attack, they may not block it. This is ransomware test only, we still have many different types of malwares.
True. New techniques & pattern of ransomwares come everyday. Kaspersky BB (with KSN) is capable of blocking the ones in the wild. Kaspersky application control is the last line of defense in my opinion, as it can protect your files from encryption (if you set it up to do so). And if all hell broke lose, backup is the best option.

W

Wave

Kaspersky suspended the processes to analyze and then blocked them. This is great
I'm not quoting this to complain about what you said, I don't really mind, I just wanted to add some detail since I know a select few like reading those sort of internal posts I make sometimes.

The security product won't suspend a program during it's run-time to "analyze" it, it does this when the program is starting up (they register a callback from kernel-mode called PsSetCreateProcessNotifyRoutineEx) via a callback for the notification, and then they proceed to scan the PE representing that program (chances are it won't do this from kernel-mode, but work with IPC to notify a user-mode service running under SYSTEM to perform the scanning).

During the program's execution, if it's being monitored for behavioral analysis, the API calls will be detoured (not all but the selected ones supported for the feature in the scope of the monitoring) and this information will be logged. When an alert is presented, it will then suspend the process - it'll be resumed if it is allowed to be allowed, and if it should be terminated then the security product will work with IPC to make the program call ExitProcess, or it will connect to the kernel-mode driver and have it shutdown the process (and then continue with the quarantine plan, etc.).

In actual fact, you cannot "suspend" a process - you suspend the threads within the process; this means that when NtSuspendProcess is called, it'll lead to the threads being suspended. The process is essentially a "container" for the process' threads, the same way that the body is the protector of the heart - the heart allows it to function through pumping blood through the body... Whereas the threads cause the functionality for the process. ;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
True. New techniques & pattern of ransomwares come everyday. Kaspersky BB (with KSN) is capable of blocking the ones in the wild. Kaspersky application control is the last line of defense in my opinion, as it can protect your files from encryption (if you set it up to do so). And if all hell broke lose, backup is the best option.
I tested Application Control with a few custom restricted rules yesterday. Disabled everything else
It even blocked and deleted samples faster than System Watcher. The funny thing is it detected some of my samples as trojan.abc.xyz... why? I disabled everything

W

Wave

Identifying in the applications execution flow (e.g. sequence of API calls to determine what it's trying to do instead of assuming a trigger on one or two functions each time) can be a clever idea and work well only if the sequence differs from genuine software (e.g. identifying process hollowing or thread hijack injection can be good but not for other things), however it limits you to specific threats of ransomware as you've already said, plus might not be as effective as alternate options.

The alternate, and most preferred method, would be to just monitor how programs which are untrusted are attempting to alter the files (e.g. is it attempting to perform write requests, is it attempting to change the the extension, etc.); for the write requests interception you can add functionality to identify a change in it's entropy (or just put in detection methods for when files are being encrypted by software). If the activity on a file is suspicious, then trigger an alert for suspicious file modification. I believe this how the Emsisoft Behavior Blocker works for ransomware.

As an extension to doing the above, you can place a few dummy files on the system - maybe in common areas like Documents, Photos, maybe the root of the drive too (since some malware enumerates the drives first and then starts it's way up down as opposed to target areas). If the dummy file becomes modified, you can track which process was responsible with IoGetProcess() from kernel-mode in the device driver which is intercepting the I/O requests, and if the modification symbolizes encryption then you can flag an alert and deal with the situation.

It can be a quite complicated feature to implement with such functionality because it needs to be worked on carefully as it'll be delicate, and it'll lean towards many false positive detection's unless you had a great cloud white-list for verified publishers/genuine software, and perform proper testing to master the filtering to be more adapt to only unknown, suspicious programs.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Identifying in the applications execution flow (e.g. sequence of API calls to determine what it's trying to do instead of assuming a trigger on one or two functions each time) can be a clever idea and work well only if the sequence differs from genuine software (e.g. identifying process hollowing or thread hijack injection can be good but not for other things), however it limits you to specific threats of ransomware as you've already said, plus might not be as effective as alternate options.

The alternate, and most preferred method, would be to just monitor how programs which are untrusted are attempting to alter the files (e.g. is it attempting to perform write requests, is it attempting to change the the extension, etc.); for the write requests interception you can add functionality to identify a change in it's entropy (or just put in detection methods for when files are being encrypted by software). If the activity on a file is suspicious, then trigger an alert for suspicious file modification. I believe this how the Emsisoft Behavior Blocker works for ransomware.

As an extension to doing the above, you can place a few dummy files on the system - maybe in common areas like Documents, Photos, maybe the root of the drive too (since some malware enumerates the drives first and then starts it's way up down as opposed to target areas). If the dummy file becomes modified, you can track which process was responsible with IoGetProcess() from kernel-mode in the device driver which is intercepting the I/O requests, and if the modification symbolizes encryption then you can flag an alert and deal with the situation.

It can be a quite complicated feature to implement with such functionality because it needs to be worked on carefully as it'll be delicate, and it'll lean towards many false positive detection's unless you had a great cloud white-list for verified publishers/genuine software, and perform proper testing to master the filtering to be more adapt to only unknown, suspicious programs.
thank you for your detailed explanations in both threads :)
honestly, I don't understand many of the stuffs but at least I get something :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
what tweaks do you apply to Application Control?
I applied a few things in this web
Protection against cryptoviruses in Kaspersky Internet Security
and something like this. Sorry I don't use Kaspersky anymore and I haven't tested these settings with legit applications, maybe it breaks legit apps also. This blocked all the ransomwares

please don't copy everything. Select the most important ones
maybe @Wave can suggest to us what to block in these screenshots

Windows 7-2017-01-19-14-45-47.png Windows 7-2017-01-19-14-45-59.png Windows 7-2017-01-19-14-46-12.png Windows 7-2017-01-19-14-46-35.png

W

Wave

I applied a few things in this web
Protection against cryptoviruses in Kaspersky Internet Security
and something like this. Sorry I don't use Kaspersky anymore and I haven't tested these settings with legit applications, maybe it breaks legit apps also. This blocked all the ransomwares

please don't copy everything. Select the most important ones
maybe @Wave can suggest to us what to block in these screenshots

Looks good IMO - but won't work well if done to many genuine apps...

Yes, it can affect genuine applications if they're being ran with the restriction level for those settings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.