Battle Kaspersky IS 2017 vs Norton IS 2017 vs Bitdefender IS 2017

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Hi everyone, i have quite a few questions so i'll post separate threads rather than pollute one thread. I'm wanting to get something a lot better than windows defender. Comcast is my ISP so i can get NIS for free. As most of you are aware of Norton hasn't been doing a great job these days. There has been multiple vulnerabilities in its products that actually decreases the security of windows. Still NIS still does a pretty good job of scoring pretty well in the various test in terms of protection. I was thinking on going with either bitdefender or KIS but of course i would have to pay for those. If you were me would opt for NIS because its still pretty dang good and worlds better than bit defender or would you opt for one of the better products like KIS or bitdefender?

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
You cant compare free and paid. If you have the money go for KIS. If you dont go with BitDefender with Crystal Security or VS.

Reactions: ZeroDay

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
First of all, if you have windows 10, windows defender is a very good option, works quite well. you also have other good free alternatives like avast.
If you want a paid protection like the ones you listed, I would say it depends of your preferences: the 3 are very good solutions, and will offer you a fantastic protection. I woulds say that, if you are more advanced user, I would go for Kaspersky: more customizable to your needs. If you want an install-and- forget solution go for Norton.
Norton has a very solid and light product actually, if you can get it free, try it out.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Norton is great choice if its for free. I havent used Norton in past 2 years, but I can tell you that they are solid for any computers except being resource hungry. If you are looking for an alternative then try each of them on their trial period, and you will know which is better.

Try even other products like Emsisoft Antimalware, ESET, AVAST etc., they also offer great protection compared to your list.

My suggestion from the list: Norton

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
If you're getting Norton for free I'd go with that and just add VoodooShield free. If you want top notch protection that you can tweak heavily I'd definitely go with KIS you can get a license pretty cheap if you look around. If you want free then any suggestions would depend on how experienced you are as a user. But Windows defender with Voodooshield, a standard user account, windows script host disabled and a couple of good browser add ons and you're good to go. Avast free is a solid product too. I personally think as far as paid security suits go you're not going to beat KIS, but, like I say if you're getting NIS for free just add Voodooshield and you're good to go.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

bitdefender free+ CF
I suggest better not to combine those two guys together, some versions ago they didn't have this warning and I ended up with non-bootable VM. Do on your own risk.
bd+cf.JPG

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Go for Bitdefender (Internet Security or Total Security). It is really good. It has save me many times already. It is now becoming light on system resources. Just install and forget. I have tried many AV's already but only Bitdefender never disappointed me.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
The all in one KIS is the way to go... Has all in one spot and with Application Controll configured properly it is a dream. :D

Used to have NIS but then needed to add an Adblocker, Anti this and Anti that... you just add and add... Like sead above KIS has it all and all under one roof.

Have fun and stay save ^^

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
For Bitdefender, just turn on the Autopilot Mode and Bitdefender will do everything for you. Just turn on other settings that are not turned on by default which you think is important. Please be informed that the Bitdefender antimalware engine is the most used engine as a third-party engine of most commercially available antivirus software. Period.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Thanks for all the responses. One think to take into account is the specific use case. The machine i'm concerned with this post is a machine that i not trying to protect the machine per say but everything else pulling files from it (file server). I only run a few things on the server but what is important is how good the definitions are, how thorough is the scans (how many levels deep is the introspection), scan speeds (does it not scan stuff that the community has said thats safe or that it has scanned before), ect...

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Thanks for all the responses. One think to take into account is the specific use case. The machine i'm concerned with this post is a machine that i not trying to protect the machine per say but everything else pulling files from it (file server). I only run a few things on the server but what is important is how good the definitions are, how thorough is the scans (how many levels deep is the introspection), scan speeds (does it not scan stuff that the community has said thats safe or that it has scanned before), ect...
if it's solely about scanning aka signatures and speed, go for Bitdefender.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
All 3 were decent to me (though I'm not using it for now). If it were me, I'll go for Bitdefender IS, solely due to price. I can buy Bitdefender's at below $20 (sometimes below $15).

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
If you're getting Norton for free I'd go with that and like many of said add VS free. You should be more than covered at that point. Otherwise KIS is a good pick and so is BIS.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Well i've decided to give each a month trial to see how i like them in the end. I started with KIS. So far i'm liking it. The only a few surprises. First you can't schedule a selective scan. Why Not? I also noticed KIS did a rootkit scan shortly after i installed it but nowhere do i see where you can run one manually or manually schedule one. A lot of scanners will have scan for rootkits as an option on a scan but i don't see that options with KIS.

The next thing that confused me a little bit was the cert. I opted to have KIS install a cert because so many pages these days are using SSL. Under "Encryption connection scanning" and was confused on whether i should leave it at its default "Scan encryption connection upon request from protected component" or "Always". I played around a little bit with some sites (i'm verifying the cert path). Google no matter what is using googles cert (maybe because google does cert pinning so kaspersky decided to add an exception for google). Pretty much it seemed that on most sites it was using the Kaspersky root cert so it appeared to not be making a difference. Also after looking at my cert store on my computer it looks like kaspersky put a cert both in the user & local computer level. Why both? Hopefully if i uninstall it it removes both.

Reactions: mlnevese and Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
That certificate bamboozled me a bit as well, so I'm not sure either. I'm also wondering how that surfing module gets along with others since I'm running Adguard Desktop as well. So far I tried a few fishy sites and all I saw from Kaspersky was green links. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.