Battle Kaspersky IS 2017 vs Norton IS 2017 vs Bitdefender IS 2017

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Hi everyone, i have quite a few questions so i'll post separate threads rather than pollute one thread. I'm wanting to get something a lot better than windows defender. Comcast is my ISP so i can get NIS for free. As most of you are aware of Norton hasn't been doing a great job these days. There has been multiple vulnerabilities in its products that actually decreases the security of windows. Still NIS still does a pretty good job of scoring pretty well in the various test in terms of protection. I was thinking on going with either bitdefender or KIS but of course i would have to pay for those. If you were me would opt for NIS because its still pretty dang good and worlds better than bit defender or would you opt for one of the better products like KIS or bitdefender?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
That certificate bamboozled me a bit as well, so I'm not sure either. I'm also wondering how that surfing module gets along with others since I'm running Adguard Desktop as well. So far I tried a few fishy sites and all I saw from Kaspersky was green links. :p
Adguard broke Safe money browser for me.

Reactions: Fritz

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well i've decided to give each a month trial to see how i like them in the end. I started with KIS. So far i'm liking it. The only a few surprises. First you can't schedule a selective scan. Why Not? I also noticed KIS did a rootkit scan shortly after i installed it but nowhere do i see where you can run one manually or manually schedule one. A lot of scanners will have scan for rootkits as an option on a scan but i don't see that options with KIS.
Schedule Selective Scan (possible workaround) -> You can use "Quick Scan" -> advanced settings -> and add in Scope the folders You want to scan.

And Yes, We can't directly schedule rootkit scans, only disable... but here You can find a possible workaround: Schedule for Rootkit Scan - Kaspersky Lab Forum

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
Hi guys. I'm back after a deal i got on bitdefender family (which is very useful for me because i run a large # of vms) i decided that bitdefender was the way for me to go. Bitdefender family is a heck of deal (i got a 3 year license). I do have some questions about bitdefender but rather than polute this thread i'll create a new thread.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Hi guys. I'm back after a deal i got on bitdefender family (which is very useful for me because i run a large # of vms) i decided that bitdefender was the way for me to go. Bitdefender family is a heck of deal (i got a 3 year license). I do have some questions about bitdefender but rather than polute this thread i'll create a new thread.
Sounds as if you have come across something that will suite you "pun intended". Between it and running of Norton through Comcast, I think you have made a wise choice.

With Comcast version of Norton, while it is free, it has a few draw backs. For one, because Comcast is handling your account of it, your version upgrades will lag substantially behind that of paid Norton Customers. NSS does not use a Norton account and many times certain parts of updates are not provided to NSS customers as well.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
How stable is Bitdefender nowadays? The last time I tested it, some two or three years ago, it was quite buggy.

ncage

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
May 20, 2017
How stable is Bitdefender nowadays? The last time I tested it, some two or three years ago, it was quite buggy.

So far so good. I have it installed on 6 Windows PCs, 1 Mac, & my android phone. One thing to note is Kaspersky has customability out the ying yang which i quite liked and bitdefender kind of goes the opposite direction being extremely simple almost to a fault. Especially the Mac client which is very bare bones. There is no section for scan logs (i don't think) just an activity section which becomes very cluttered. Its not quite clear if quick/full scans happen automatically or if autopilot mode will basically just look at files either when you save them to disk or access them. That being said i'm still happy because of the proven effectiveness and the price i got the license for.

Reactions: mlnevese

So far so good. I have it installed on 6 Windows PCs, 1 Mac, & my android phone. One thing to note is Kaspersky has customability out the ying yang which i quite liked and bitdefender kind of goes the opposite direction being extremely simple almost to a fault. Especially the Mac client which is very bare bones. There is no section for scan logs (i don't think) just an activity section which becomes very cluttered. Its not quite clear if quick/full scans happen automatically or if autopilot mode will basically just look at files either when you save them to disk or access them. That being said i'm still happy because of the proven effectiveness and the price i got the license for.

I had best results as follows:
  • Keep autopilot mode enabled (don't use any profiles)
  • Enable Paranoid Mode (enables alerts - which are turned off by default)
  • If your taskbar icons disappear, then remove C:\Users\<User>\Desktop folder from the Ransomware protection module folder list

Reactions: mlnevese

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.