Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Hey,

do you tweak your settings after installation? I wonder if the default settings are "strong" enough against threads and 0 day detection. Is the performance impact huge?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Based on my observation and numerous guides for tweaking, default settings are already good at primetime and one of the major feature is so called Application Control Privilege which you can control by blocking all unknown programs as Untrusted instead of by checking on heuristics analyzer.

Others from web filter by enabling geolocation feature for adding such information to its blocking effectiveness then the rest by changing the sensitivity level of protection.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
So, how big is the performance impact between default and max settings? Moreover: Is there any difference between max settings and the default settings when I set unknown applications to "untrusted"?

I

illumination

So, how big is the performance impact between default and max settings? Moreover: Is there any difference between max settings and the default settings when I set unknown applications to "untrusted"?
Any time you change a suite from default to max settings there will be system response performance impact, whether it is slight or tremendous really depends on the system.

Setting unknown applications to untrusted can produce problems possibly with programs installed or programs later you wish to install, you will have to manually allow these programs each time. KIS is a strong suite, one that out of the box does a pretty good job. I would not recommend changing the settings if you are not that familiar with Kaspersky..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Chippel : When you set applications to be untrusted it will immediately apply preventive measures for executing even other configurations are set on max or default settings.

Default settings of Application privilege is based on heuristic analyzer and majority of malicious software when bypass realtime protection, it will determine either low or high restriction + likely it depends if totally flagged as untrusted.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I just feel the "auto" feature of the application control is not safe enough duo RAT software which is encrypted. I'm just playing with the settings and I can't decide which settings to use.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Set application control to untrusted, the geolocation features is no longer available with KIS 2015 MR1/MR2, change the settings in system watcher:

Exploit protection - block
Application activity control - select action automatically
Rollback of malware actions - rollback

By changing these settings, nothing will be able to bypass Kaspersky.

Chippel

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Well if I set it to untrusted a lot of legal applications will be blocked :(

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
KIS offers very good protection by default. If you are unsure or not an experienced user changing these might cause you difficulties both on system performance as well as running programs.Personally I think you would be fine using the default settings.

Reactions: Adhit Prakosho

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No, I have only had a few legal programs blocked. Kaspersky has an extensive white list and only brand new legal programs stand the chance of being blocked, but I would rather have that than come across a piece of ransomware or worm etc.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.