Advice Request Kaspersky is the most awarded antivirus. Do you like it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is your opinion of kaspersky products?

• Positive

Votes: 157 86.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 25 13.7%

• Total voters

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
What about Windows Defender tweaked at max settings via Group Policy combined with the other OS mechanisms eg WDAC & SRP ? - I can’t see anything missing from this sort of setup other than the convenience KIS offers
The built in security in Windows 10 is spot on, SUA, SRP, Anti-Exploit and more. However this is a Kaspersky thread so my comment was regarding Kaspersky. I'm the type of user who could get away with not running any security software and I think that it's good practice for everyone to learn how to lock Windows down using it's built in security tweaking WD via GPE. Windows 10 built in secuirty is so good that most users don't need third party security software, but, as you said Kaspersky is conveient and even more so to the average user. I've got my main Windows 10 install completely locked down from an SUA, SRP, I've disabled unneeded services, closed unneeded ports and lots more. But, on my other Windows 10 machine I just use Kaspersky Security cloud paid, tweak it for maximum security then change a couple of Windows settings and I'm away. You're spot on - Security software such as KIS is just convenient if we lock Windows 10 down using the built in features then we don't need to add anything. I think as Windows 10 development moves on there's going to be less and less need for even the average user to use third party security software which is an amazing feat by Microsoft. The only thin I'd add to the built in Windows 10 security is a VPN and I also like to modify my hosts file and that's it really.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What about Windows Defender tweaked at max settings via Group Policy combined with the other OS mechanisms eg WDAC & SRP ? - I can’t see anything missing from this sort of setup other than the convenience KIS offers
The working WDAC (WD Application Control) code integrity policy cannot be created on WIndows Home and Windows Pro via registry tweaks or PowerShell, or GPO. (y)
WDAC also requires UEFI.

Last edited:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
The working WDAC (WD Application Control) code integrity policy cannot be created on WIndows Home and Windows Pro via registry tweaks or PowerShell, or GPO. (y)
WDAC also requires UEFI.

Are you sure about Pro ? I think you can create them on Pro with group policy.
Re UEFI - unless it’s an old machine I don’t see an issue

Reactions: Weebarra

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Not to stray off topic, I had used Kaspersky in the past,

I like : consistency at independent review scores and top notch detection rates

I don’t like: interception of SSL certs during browsing, for me this was a deal breaker and dropped it.

On the plus side, it had caught a drive by download that happened during browsing a legit site so (y) for that

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
My Opinion is
1- Norton
2- Bitdefender
3- Kaspersky
4- McAfee
5- GDATA
I Used Bitdefender and McAfee and GDATA.
Bitdefender is expensive in our region
McAfee Unlimited Devices and cheap in our region.
GDATA is Dual Engine but slow your computer and poor firewall.
I think most hackers encrypt their programs on Kaspersky because it 's famous.
Use an unpopular program such as GDATA.

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
My Opinion is
1- Norton
2- Bitdefender
3- Kaspersky
4- McAfee
5- GDATA
nah, kaspersky > all

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do think the whole Kaspersky-Russia conspiracy theories are made up, and should not affect your decision on using Kaspersky software. It won't be the best nor worse solution for everyone.

For example, using a third-party Antivirus prior to Windows 10* was a-must, but now users are understanding security and securing their PCs in other ways without installing several third party AV software then complaining nothing works.

*excluding Windows 8/8.1.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
My Opinion is
1- Norton
2- Bitdefender
3- Kaspersky
4- McAfee
5- GDATA

Bad advise, security through obscurity doesnt work (not saying that GData is bad and anyway it uses Bitdefender engine that is super popular).

Nowadays there is some advantage to use popular antivirus because of the cloud; there is power on the numbers when we talk about detection time response.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

Yeah, that's true. But not just because it's famous -- but because it has the reputation of being the hardest to bypass.

At the largest black hat conferences, the most often 'bragged malware samples' mention that they can defeat Kaspersky. So yeah, Kaspersky is the most often mentioned.

But... testing over a long period of time shows that Kaspersky has the best detection.

So I think you are correct, but Kasperky still wins. They have overcome even being a common test bed for malware authors.

I would not use Kaspersky for other reasons... but for standard AVs, Kaspersky has the best detection.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yeah, that's true. But not just because it's famous -- but because it has the reputation of being the hardest to bypass.

At the largest black hat conferences, the most often 'bragged malware samples' mention that they can defeat Kaspersky. So yeah, Kaspersky is the most often mentioned.

But... testing over a long period of time shows that Kaspersky has the best detection.

So I think you are correct, but Kasperky still wins. They have overcome even being a common test bed for malware authors.

I would not use Kaspersky for other reasons... but for standard AVs, Kaspersky has the best detection.

Yes, but it simple doesnt matter for the home user, even if there is malware made specifically to bypass Kaspersky, when the home user becomes the target it will probably be detected by KSN (urgent detection system).

Advanced Persistent Threat is another story, but who is going to waste this kind of malware against a random home user?

Kaspersky Internet Security is the best all round security in the market, for the average user it is hard to beat its protection.

I still remember how Kaspersky 6.0 was so technologically ahead of its competitors and for the most part this remains true.

Some people may not like or use Kaspersky products for political or personal reasons, but it is hard to argue against its engineering and research competence; there are very few vendors that are on this level of excellency.

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014

Thank you man for useful information.

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Bad advise, security through obscurity doesnt work (not saying that GData is bad and anyway it uses Bitdefender engine that is super popular).

Nowadays there is some advantage to use popular antivirus because of the cloud; there is power on the numbers when we talk about detection time response.
GDATA Bad yes Bad
i bought new laptop HP Zbook 14u g5 i7 855U and It was with a one year subscription from GDATA Internet Security2019
The blue screen began to appear Error Code NetIO.SYS On Windows 10 1809 This screen was showing due to GDATA
I used it on my mobile device that is powerful in detecting but it slows the computer and gives a blue screen because of it so that the protection of the web is not the efficiency of other programs .
Now I deleted GDATA and install McAfee Because its Cheaper than Kaspersky .
ِAfter removed GDATA disappers bluescreen so far.
"McAfee is the winner as it offers more security-related features and extra utilities in its products than Kaspersky. Independent lab tests prove that both software provide excellent malware protection with minimal impact on system performance, but McAfee's antivirus suites are cheaper than Kaspersky's "
source : McAfee Vs Kaspersky | Find Out Who is the Winner (2019)

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberTech

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014

Reactions: Weebarra

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
The built in security in Windows 10 is spot on, SUA, SRP, Anti-Exploit and more. However this is a Kaspersky thread so my comment was regarding Kaspersky. I'm the type of user who could get away with not running any security software and I think that it's good practice for everyone to learn how to lock Windows down using it's built in security tweaking WD via GPE. Windows 10 built in secuirty is so good that most users don't need third party security software, but, as you said Kaspersky is conveient and even more so to the average user. I've got my main Windows 10 install completely locked down from an SUA, SRP, I've disabled unneeded services, closed unneeded ports and lots more. But, on my other Windows 10 machine I just use Kaspersky Security cloud paid, tweak it for maximum security then change a couple of Windows settings and I'm away. You're spot on - Security software such as KIS is just convenient if we lock Windows 10 down using the built in features then we don't need to add anything. I think as Windows 10 development moves on there's going to be less and less need for even the average user to use third party security software which is an amazing feat by Microsoft. The only thin I'd add to the built in Windows 10 security is a VPN and I also like to modify my hosts file and that's it really.
and who are you to say that windows defender is "perfect" and better than any paid antivirus?

Reactions: Burrito

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
and who are you to say that windows defender is "perfect" and better than any paid antivirus?
ZeroDay did not say so. He thinks that WD + properly tweaked Windows 10 built-in security, can give the home user similar or better protection than any AV (including Kaspersky). He also said that Kaspersky is more convenient.
I share this opinion, too. But it is also true, that Kaspersky's users do not have to learn many things about Windows built-in security. Kaspersky's products are more compact, easier and more convenient for most users. WD + properly tweaked Windows 10 built-in security, has the advantage of being the most system compatible solution and it's free.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.