Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
A Kaspersky manager has been arrested by Russian authorities alongside a senior Russian FSB intelligence officer, both facing treason charges.

Ruslan Stoyanov, head of the computer incidents investigations unit at Kaspersky, was arrested back in December, but information was not made public until local Kommersant newspaper published a report.

Maria Shirokova, Kaspersky’s spokeswoman, quoted by the Associated Press, denies that Stoyanov's arrest has anything to do with the company’s operations and claims the company has very little details regarding the charges the former manager faces. She did admit the fact that the investigation dates back to when Stoyanov was still hired by Kaspersky. Previously, according to his LinkedIn profile, he was also part of the Cyber Crime Unit of the Interior Ministry in Russia, but that was more than a decade ago.

The AP further quotes Andrei Soldatov, an investigative journalist that has specialized in the Internet and Russian security service, who says the arrest of the Kaspersky manager has no precedent. He goes on to explain that this is a system they’ve worked on for twenty years, building relations between intelligence agencies and cyber security firms such as Kaspersky. “Intelligence agencies used to ask for Kaspersky’s advice, and this is how informal ties were built. This romance is clearly over,” he said.

The most interesting part of this arrest is that Stoyanov is being accused of treason, which isn’t a light allegation.

International friction because of Russian hacking
In recent months, there have been many accusations made against Russia, whom the US accused of meddling in its elections, which resulted in Donald Trump becoming president. Russia has denied such claims, as it was expected. Obama went as far as to eject 35 Russian diplomats from US grounds after seeing reports from the country’s intelligence agencies. EU officials have also expressed concern over Russia’s habit of hacking other Western institutions, especially as 2017 is an election year in Germany, the Netherlands, and France.

It is unclear at this point if there’s any connection between the arrest of Stoyanov and the FSB agent Sergei Mikhailov.

Rezart

Level 1
Jan 26, 2017
It was one of Putin's spies - LOL!!!!

P.S. big shock considering Eugene's links with the intelligence community.

Are you Joking ??
Every big company has close ties with governments no meter the field which is operating.
Also Microsoft, Symantec, Apple ... etc, are tied up their asses with USA Government.
You can be sure of this because these are Lows of Nature

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Yes, but Putin and Eugene are best friends from their time in the KGB, and helped rescue his son - so he should have a lot more access than Smantec does with the NSA, CIA etc., I doubt they are told much classified information.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Reading this thread reminded me of SMERSH , from the older James Bond movies ( Connery era ) .

I did a little reading before posting and I see that there are actually two separate Wiki entries for SMERSH ,
the fictional one here , and the "factual" one .
Let's not forget that Ian Fleming was no stranger to " The Secret World " , and his brother also led
a highly unusual life .

On a personal level , I am not comfortable with any software or services from either Russia or China ,
but it is clear that they have some of best software devs in the world .... absolutely stunning talent !
And the same goes for India and Israel .

It's the possible state involvement part that affects my "comfort zone " , and I'd probably feel the same about scabies :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Horrible human rights are in almost every country everyday, not only in those named countries, but probably We are too blind to see it... also I can't believe that NSA, for instance, leaves/keeps Symantec (and/or other security firms from USA) "untouched"... and so on with other countries...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No I don't agree re: human rights there are countries where the LGBT community can exist, the black populations don't have to fear for their lives. The main reason is I do NOT agree with the way China treats animals, end of, it's sick! And Putin he just kills people with polonium-210 and shoots down a passenger plane.

Reactions: AtlBo

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
And Putin he just kills people with polonium-210 and shoots down a passenger plane.

While I don't know much about polonium incident, I can't find any hard evidence that Russia shot down an airplane. Why would they? What motive? Someone important on board? Did this news come out during the Ukraine vs Russia conflict to make 'good' news? I know all this is off subject, but to be honest...every country plays war games in some way.

I personally am neutral on Russia. I think they are a neutral rival with USA (not allies nor enemies). Sort of like a rival football/soccer team. Maybe I need to be educated more on this subject. If you have more concrete evidence, then please post.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I also don't like what You said of China and animals and Russian playing with polonium... I'm not going to get here "conspiranoic", but what about "Twin Towers attack in USA"? :D there are many evidences that it was clearly a "False flag attack" organized by the own government/state in the shade... "He who has eyes to see, and he who has ears to hear..."

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Woooah this just turned into a debating forum :rolleyes:

To stay on topic, i think antivirus and security high-standard employees or employers are always a target on goverments, since they have the tools and the knowledge to achieve great stuff (which may affect or benefit the goverment).

And remember, there's a reason why he was acussed of treason. This is one of the most dangerous and difficult accusations on this type of countries, which may lead to permanent jail or even execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.