Kaspersky Lab protect your Facebook account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Why would cyber-criminals want to control your Facebook account? At the very least, they could “like” weird things and promote questionable goods and services on your behalf. However, Facebook is well aware of this common criminal scheme and collaborates with us to protect innocent users from account infection.

To protect its users from cybercrime, Facebook recommends a free anti-malware scan to owners of accounts that Facebook’s team has detected as behaving suspiciously and appear to be infected.

Of course, Facebook itself is never the source of malicious software. But one can get infected in many ways. For instance, Facebook is a major target for phishers: 1 in 5 phishing scams target Facebook notifications. For this reason, one should be vigilant when receiving e-mails from this network–they might be fake. Additionally, there are lots of Trojans targeting Facebook users as well.

If the Facebook team has detected suspicious behavior from your account and it looks as though it might be infected, the social network will suggest you scan your device for security issues. Upon logging in, you will see a warning page like this, offering the security scan.

fb02.png

One of the programs, which helps to fix Facebook users’ accounts, is our Kaspersky Malware Scan for Facebook. In the last 3 months alone we’ve protected over 260,000 Facebook users. A quick download will generate a scan window like this:

fb07.png

We advise users to be patient and wait for the scan to complete. Any security issues, along with the suggested steps to resolve them, will be displayed upon scan completion.

by: https://blog.kaspersky.com

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Though I appreciate the effort, this is a really dumb way to go about it. Okay look, we've been pointing out that sudden pop-ups about "security issues" on websites are easily identified as scams and malware..and now Facebook wants to muddy the waters by popping up legitimate security issue warnings? Kaspersky should know better than this, but I don't trust them anyway.

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Though I appreciate the effort, this is a really dumb way to go about it. Okay look, we've been pointing out that sudden pop-ups about "security issues" on websites are easily identified as scams and malware..and now Facebook wants to muddy the waters by popping up legitimate security issue warnings? Kaspersky should know better than this, but I don't trust them anyway.
well, I do not even know what to think about it, but I have the ESET social scanner and sometimes detects virus in posts of friends.
Users should have a good antivirus and a good head and not click on anything that moves, are simple steps that can make the difference.
Facebook offering "assistance"... humm... they must start to catch the bad links first and not "sell" AV protection.

Reactions: Venustus and Kent

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well, like I said, I'm fine with Facebook taking proactive security measures. But the security industry and people like us have been trying to get people to quit clicking on suspicious looking pop-ups or out of the blue legitimate-looking ones that pop up on a website, and now Facebook and Kaspersky would risk undoing all that advice.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The pop up for this seems really... fake? If I saw this I would think that it was a phishing attempt and immediately start scanning vigorously with all my scanners to identify the threat :p

That said, it's really great to see different companies teaming up to deal with cyber threats. Kaspersky seems to be on the news a lot from being hacked to being spied on and now being a partner in one of the world's largest social media platform. Really seems that Kaspersky is a very strong company and has been expanding its reach.

Don't really see bitdefender or any of the larger AV companies doing that too often either.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Way back I remember where Facebook has a partnership to Web of Trust however seems it doesn't become a primetime for very long time.

Those tools like ESET, Bitdefender, F-secure, Kaspersky and others to name are design to detect with same principle of concept, still its up to the user for using common sense and knowledge to understand the difference of weird post display in FB alongside of possible infection as trap.

A typical user browse very much in FB should now already the awareness, comments are very helpful to check because users are already providing the verdict from such links or post.

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.