Kaspersky, Microsoft Working on Addressing Windows 10 Antivirus Monopoly Claims

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Security vendor Kaspersky Lab won’t file a complaint against Microsoft for its antivirus practices in Windows 10, as the software company has made changes to address a number of reported problems, founder and Chief Executive Eugene Kaspersky was quoted as saying by Reuters.

In a blog post published last November, Kaspersky accused Microsoft of abusing its dominant position in the software market to push Windows Defender as the preferred antivirus solution in Windows 10, while also explaining that users end up being exposed to security risks due to some third-party security products being removed when updating to newer OS releases.

Kaspersky called Microsoft’s approach abusive, describing how Windows Defender is automatically enabled on a Windows system when licenses for their third-party antivirus are close to coming to an end.
“It’s a big deal because this is the crucial period during which a significant number of users seek extensions of their security software licenses. And if a user forgets to renew a license, then Microsoft deactivates the existing AV, and turns on Defender,” he said.

Microsoft makes changes to address complaints
It turns out, however, that Microsoft has contacted Kaspersky and the two companies worked together on a number of improvements that are already implemented, though no specifics on this have been provided.

“They are listening to us and they made a few changes. It's an ongoing process. Of course if Microsoft agrees to all our requests we will not file it,” Kaspersky said.

Although Kaspersky now says that no antitrust complain would be submitted to the European Commission, his initial announcement in late 2016 revealed some antitrust bodies had already been notified.

“We’ve taken the decision to address official bodies in various countries (including the EU and Russia) with a request to oblige Microsoft to cease its violation of anti-competition legislation and to remove the consequences of that violation,” he said at that point.

Microsoft hasn’t yet issued a statement on the possible collaboration with Kaspersky, and the European Commission also refused to confirm whether a complaint has been received or not.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
through my dead body i will use Windows Defender lmao

how many times Windows updates bricked Windows 10 for me and my friends, I'm fairly sure Windows Defender usage would cause me nightmares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adz. and JB007

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

how many times Windows updates bricked Windows 10 for me and my friends, I'm fairly sure Windows Defender usage would cause me nightmares.
Not necessarily. Though Windows Update do suck.

Reactions: JB007

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
i don't see the relation between Windows Updates and Win Defender... at least WD doesn't brick the system...it is just a real-time scanner with cloud , so the chances you get major issues are very low.
I brought it up as an argument of how incompetent Microsoft is nowadays.

Reactions: JB007

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
M$ is hardly the white knight in this. WD is another excellent tool for data collection.

With Win10 they are worse than Google, even resetting customers privacy setting to spy, which Google does not do. Not to mention installing third party apps on your PC without your consent = malware likelihood just went up.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
What data is WD collecting that I should be concerned about? Do you have any links to sources?

D

Deleted member 178

blablabla spy blablabla spy ...same BS from people parroting others having no idea of what they talk about...
Why most of the biggest companies and government agencies are upgrading to Win10? because it is efficient and better in term of security, and believe me they have far more secrets to hide than you.

You don't like Win10 , don't use it, and give us a break.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
blablabla spy blablabla spy ...same BS from people parroting others having no idea of what they talk about...
Why most of the biggest companies and government agencies are upgrading to Windows 10? because it is efficient and better in term of security, and believe me they have far more secrets to hide than you.

You don't like Windows 10 , don't use it, and give us a break.
Agreed. Unless it's Personally Identifiable information, then I couldn't give two hoots what data Microsoft collects from my PC. If it helps to improve the ongoing development of the product (Windows 10) then MS take whatever you need ;)

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Kaspersky is just crying. If a user forgets to renew the license of their overpriced suite, then the user ends up having no protection at all - it makes all sense that Windows Defender turns itself on to ensure basic user protection.
Let's be honest, any average user is able to understand that practice.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Kaspersky is just crying. If a user forgets to renew the license of their overpriced suite, then the user ends up having no protection at all - it makes all sense that Windows Defender turns itself on to ensure basic user protection.
Let's be honest, any average user is able to understand that practice.
This right here. Would Kaspersky prefer the license run out and their customers go without any protection at all? Obviously they'd prefer their customers to renew said license but I'd argue if they were willing to go and buy a however-many-years Kaspersky subscription in the first place then if they want to renew their license then chances are they'll go do just that.
It's such a ridiculous complaint and it makes Kaspersky look like they care more about their revenue than the security of their users.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
This right here. Would Kaspersky prefer the license run out and their customers go without any protection at all? Obviously they'd prefer their customers to renew said license but I'd argue if they were willing to go and buy a however-many-years Kaspersky subscription in the first place then if they want to renew their license then chances are they'll go do just that.
It's such a ridiculous complaint and it makes Kaspersky look like they care more about their revenue than the security of their users.

Agree 100%. This makes us feel Kaspersky is actually worried with money instead the real user protection.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Agreed. Unless it's Personally Identifiable information, then I couldn't give two hoots what data Microsoft collects from my PC. If it helps to improve the ongoing development of the product (Windows 10) then MS take whatever you need ;)

Data collection is now full by default, which includes (M$ has listed this in their settings now) "Sending additional diagnostic data (including browser, app and feature usage, and inking and typing data) to Microsoft".

Even basic they collect A LOT info:

Basic device data: "Networking attributes, such as number of network adapters, speed of network adapters, mobile operator network, and IMEI number."

Configure Windows telemetry in your organization (Windows 10)

Enterprise should be ok.

Reactions: askmark

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I am surprised you haven't taken the EWO and switched Operating Systems. What are your system specifications? I am guessing $2000 hardware. :p

<Insert @Umbra's Linux joke>

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Data collection is now full by default, which includes (M$ has listed this in their settings now) "Sending additional diagnostic data (including browser, app and feature usage, and inking and typing data) to Microsoft".
typing data will simply be what you've searched in Cortana. Big deal!
Even basic they collect A LOT info:

Basic device data: "Networking attributes, such as number of network adapters, speed of network adapters, mobile operator network, and IMEI number."
This data would only be collected from Windows Mobile users only I presume?

Reactions: Ink

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.