Kaspersky or Norton or Avast/AVG

Which security product send less amount of data to the clouds or vendors?

• Total voters

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Ups. I thought that I should pick the best. Then I read the question...
Avast will be the best from all three. You can also disable the cloud participation there (in Kaspersky I think too). But it will lower your protection level.

L

Local Host

Avast has had privacy concerns in the past not to mention their EULA, so I'm surprised so many people vote for it.

Kaspersky has no need for our information besides malware detection for their cloud database (which can be disabled while keeping the cloud enabled something most third-parties don't do), they've made billions already with their paid Security products alone, not to mention they known to protect their costumers so my vote goes for them.

Last edited:

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It's not just about cloud, all AVs send data about the environment it's been installed in, detections, files hashes, usually pinging most interactions with the software. Avast is the worst here as they state in their EULA that they sell their user's data.

I'd stay away from any US products if privacy is my highest concern.

Voted Kaspersky.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Avast probably doesn't have best privacy policy but they at least offer option for turning data sending off. So, I voted for Avast.

Screenshot_1.png

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Cloud system collects all of the signatures on your computer that may be suspicious and sends them to a server, which compares them with a huge database. Signatures are simply identification codes for the individual files and the antivirus companies, therefore, will not send always whole files. But they can know what files you normally use and connect these programs to your data.

Some companies do more: do not send only the ID codes, but send entire files to be parsed by the server. For common files like programs might not be an issue, but many companies however have not stated on what basis they send the data to the server.
All of this forces you to trust blindly without knowing what files or documents are sent to their server.

I do not know how to choose in this poll but all of the AV vendors do that.

Last edited:

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
I voted before reading the post. I don't think there is an answer .. However, one tends to compromise more privacy when using a FREE product, since companies need some way to make money, yet that does not mean it's exposing sensitive data.
anyway, in general, when I read the question I thought to myself, if I were a king and I had a monster of a bodyguard, guarding me as a last line of defense , who will guard me from this bodyguard if he decided to go rogue:eek: .. if I think like that , I wouldn't want to be king (*cough* Ragnar)o_O, I'd just runaway to the wilderness .:barefoot::alien:

Last edited:

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Both Kaspersky and Norton send data to the cloud and that depends what type of data you're referring to. Program licensing, version & diagnostic data is sent by default. You can opt of cloud based threat scanning referred to as 'SONAR' protection in Norton and Kaspersky Security Network in KIS/KTS. Have not used AVAST/AVG yet but I assume they do the same thing albeit under a different name.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.